Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/oakislan/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Oak Island Treasure • View topic - The Swamp

The Swamp

The place for Oak Island related discussion. Got a question about the mystery? Need some pointers on where to find out more?

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

The Swamp

Postby zimmy on Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:47 pm

I have a couple of questions about the swamp.
1. Whose land is it on?
2. How deep is it (about 8 feet I believe)
3. Wasn’t a domed shaft found out in the center? How big across was it?

I know most of these questions have been answered before but by the time I read thru several posts more questions keep popping up.... WELCOME TO OI :P
zimmy
Digging for Ore

Da Swamp

Postby Tank04 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:38 pm

Zimmy,

That swamp has been the focus of some pretty intense debate recently. Some people believe it is entirely man made, some say it has at least been manipulated by the hand of man and still others feel the swamp is not important at all. I feel the latter group is dead wrong.

The swamp straddles the land of at least three land owners, J.D. Johnson, Tom Nolan (Fred Nolan's son) and Oak Island Tours Incorporated, the current treasure hunters. I don't know for sure just how deep it is and I have heard different accounts. I don't think it is unusually deep, but to say eight feet can't be too far off a few feet one way or another in places.

There was no dome shaped shaft found at the center, but, back in the 80's when Fred Nolan tried to drain the swamp, the top of a wood cribbed shaft appeared out of the muck. That was on lot 14 I believe and was allowed to fill back in with water again. To my knowledge, that shaft was not explored to any great extent. I also have no idea how big it was but I am willing to bet there were photographs taken of it.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Postby zimmy on Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:56 pm

Interesting. If the shaft was open at top I wonlder why no one has dropped an underwater camera down it.
Last edited by zimmy on Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zimmy
Digging for Ore

Cameras

Postby Tank04 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:27 pm

zimmy,

If the shaft was open at top I wonlder why no open has dropped an underwater camera down it.

We really have no testimony to consider regarding the condition of this shaft. It may be collapsed, filled with debris or wide open. Maybe they did lower a camera down there and discovered it was of no particular interest. It is possible that shaft may be from post 1795 activities and never recorded.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Postby FutureProspect784 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:41 pm

zimmy wrote:Interesting. If the shaft was open at top I wonlder why no one has dropped an underwater camera down it.

Good question. Fred Nolan could very well have done this, however he wouldn't say whether he has or not, to us anyway.

FP
88’s

FP

“I Want YOU.........To Solve The Oak Island Mystery!”

UNCLE SAM
FutureProspect784
Official Tour Guide

Postby mr_dogman2u on Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:33 am

I am speaking purely from an assumptive position, but if Fred found something intact in the swamp that he thought was of great importance, wpuld he let a few feet of water get in the way? I'll use this word a bunch in this post, so bear with me. Assuming that when Fred drained the pond he recorded cribbing, and assuming the swamp is not more than 10 feet deep, and assuming he thought the structure was relevent to the treasure, and assuming that Fred is one knowlegable, driven, SOB :D that wants the treasure (that's a praise, not an insult), why is he not exploring the swamp. The technology to scuba in a shallow swamp is much more elementary than what it takes to bore through rock! And by the way, I know that when you assume, you make an ass out of u and me.
Always do sober what you said you would do when drunk-It'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.--Ernest Hemingway
OITS MEMBER (me, not Hemingway!)
mr_dogman2u
Digging for Diamonds

Postby mr_dogman2u on Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:33 am

I am speaking purely from an assumptive position, but if Fred found something intact in the swamp that he thought was of great importance, wpuld he let a few feet of water get in the way? I'll use this word a bunch in this post, so bear with me. Assuming that when Fred drained the pond he recorded cribbing, and assuming the swamp is not more than 10 feet deep, and assuming he thought the structure was relevent to the treasure, and assuming that Fred is one knowlegable, driven, SOB :D that wants the treasure (that's a praise, not an insult), why is he not exploring the swamp. The technology to scuba in a shallow swamp is much more elementary than what it takes to bore through rock! And by the way, I know that when you assume, you make an ass out of u and me.
Always do sober what you said you would do when drunk-It'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.--Ernest Hemingway
mr_dogman2u
Digging for Diamonds

Postby mr_dogman2u on Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:34 am

mr_dogman2u
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Petter Amundsen on Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:18 am

The problems with draining the swamp are at least twofold:

* Shared ownership, and these owners don't communicate.
* Environmental considerations. Turtles and birds have their home on and in the swamp. And you will find big eels.

Here is a picture of it:
Copyright: Petter Amundsen, 2007

The barge ramp is recently made to facilitate bringing rocks out to Frog Island. This picture was taken Friday the 9th of November.
Petter Amundsen
Petter Amundsen
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Mad Davy Kidd on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:56 pm

That is an awesome picture Petter, I've never seen a view from that angle, it gives a great look at the swamp and surrounding area!

Thanks for posting it!

Dave
Mad Davy Kidd
Digging on Oak Island

Next

Return to General Discussion