Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/oakislan/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Oak Island Treasure • View topic - swamp

swamp

The place for Oak Island related discussion. Got a question about the mystery? Need some pointers on where to find out more?

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

swamp

Postby mr_dogman2u on Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:19 pm

I just thought I would start a thread to brainstorm a bit on non-invasive techniques that posters might use to see what is at the bottom of the swamp. A few Ideas. From what I have seen (unforunately, only in pictures) it looks like quite a bit of plant growth typical to swamps. Is there alot of sediment early in the year before lilly-pads, algae, etc get cranked up in the summer? This would seem to be the best time to search for any anamolies on the swamp bed. Does the swamp get a thick enough sheet of ice in the winter to make it safe to walk on? I'd like to hear some ideas.
Always do sober what you said you would do when drunk-It'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.--Ernest Hemingway
OITS MEMBER (me, not Hemingway!)
mr_dogman2u
Digging for Diamonds

Swamp

Postby Tank04 on Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:54 pm

mr_dogman2u,

I like the non invasive idea you bring up and if I had my "hand on the throttle" as they say, I would take a sample of the swamp's silt (various levels) and have it analyzed for human activity, pre 1795.

The swamp will freeze over (if we get an average winter) and would be solid enough to walk on, so cutting a hole in the ice and lowering a devise to take the sample would be no problem as long as you did not get over/on Fred's land.

Summer before last, I had a guy in my dinning room who does this very work and the pollen in the mud sample will tell of human intervention on Oak Island prior to 1795. These guys can read this material like a history book. Call it a “CSI Miami” approach as opposed to bulldozers and excavators.

I do belive very strongly there is some good stuff in that swamp that has yet to be found.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Postby Rick on Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:01 pm

Be interesting to see someone propose a plan. CSI "Oak Island" .. prehaps in "Code II"
-= Friends of Oak Island Society =-
Rick
Future Tour Guide

Postby mr_dogman2u on Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:05 pm

Winter, right now, what a coincidence, would be the best time to do it too. Plant life would not be blooming, and wind would not be stirring up mud. Beyond sedimentary evidence, physical evidence such as cribbing, hewn logs, and other supposed evidence could be seen most clearly at this time. I am using this thread in a purely hypothetical sense, as actually finding something right now would probably open a huge can o' worms!
Always do sober what you said you would do when drunk-It'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.--Ernest Hemingway
OITS MEMBER (me, not Hemingway!)
mr_dogman2u
Digging for Diamonds

Postby dragon lady on Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:26 pm

MrDM2U,
The plant life should have died back enough that a small rov could have a look around.
DL
Some like to live in complacency, hoping for stability without upset. I much prefer to turn over rocks and see what scurries out.
D. Orade
dragon lady
Future Tour Guide

Postby FutureProspect784 on Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:48 pm

All,

Sorry for taking this thread a bit off topic, but can someone explain to me why, on the topic of careful excavation, no archaelogists have ever set foot on the island? Maybe I'll be the first. :lol:
88’s

FP

“I Want YOU.........To Solve The Oak Island Mystery!”

UNCLE SAM
FutureProspect784
Official Tour Guide

Archaeologist

Postby Tank04 on Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:59 pm

FP784,

...can someone explain to me why, on the topic of careful excavation, no archaelogists have ever set foot on the island? Maybe I'll be the first

So, you want to become an archaeologist eh?

I really don't know if an honest to God archaeologist has ever stepped foot on Oak Island or not, in an official capacity, but I can tell you this. That world is not at all interested in Oak Island because it has been bulldozed and blasted beyond their tolerances and they consider it to be "tainted" grounds. Way too much human interference with any thing that could possibly be left over.

That is one of the reasons I would love to se that swamp explored, things should be pretty well in situ. Samuel Balls foundation is another excellent location for an archaeological dig before that gets eviscerated.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Re: Archaeologist

Postby FutureProspect784 on Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:09 pm

Tank04 wrote:FP784,

...can someone explain to me why, on the topic of careful excavation, no archaelogists have ever set foot on the island? Maybe I'll be the first

So, you want to become an archaeologist eh?

I really don't know if an honest to God archaeologist has ever stepped foot on Oak Island or not, in an official capacity, but I can tell you this. That world is not at all interested in Oak Island because it has been bulldozed and blasted beyond their tolerances and they consider it to be "tainted" grounds. Way too much human interference with any thing that could possibly be left over.

That is one of the reasons I would love to se that swamp explored, things should be pretty well in situ. Samuel Balls foundation is another excellent location for an archaeological dig before that gets eviscerated.

My dream is to someday bridge the gap of troubled waters between treasure hunters and archaeologists. Maybe I'll be the next Indianna Jones. :lol:
88’s

FP

“I Want YOU.........To Solve The Oak Island Mystery!”

UNCLE SAM
FutureProspect784
Official Tour Guide

Re: Archaeologist

Postby Bear on Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:54 pm

FutureProspect784 wrote:Maybe I'll be the next Indianna Jones.

Uh, excuse me, but wouldn't that be Indiana Isaac?

Bear
OITS member

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Isaac Asimov, circa 1951, Foundation
Bear
Digging for Diamonds

Indiana Isaac

Postby Bear on Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:02 pm

FP,

I can see it now. Indiana Isaac wearing glasses that are broken in the front and held together with white tape, a pocket protector full of pens that don't write, and a 100% cotton whip coiled and attached to your belt.

However, Indiana Isaac would not be afraid of snakes - he would be afraid of ...

I can't say it! No, don't make me! We all know what it is. Okay, racoons!

Bear
OITS member

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Isaac Asimov, circa 1951, Foundation
Bear
Digging for Diamonds

Next

Return to General Discussion