Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/oakislan/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Oak Island Treasure • View topic - ground penetrating radar?

ground penetrating radar?

The place for Oak Island related discussion. Got a question about the mystery? Need some pointers on where to find out more?

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

ground penetrating radar?

Postby sdaly on Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:19 pm

Hi all,

First post here...

I read a book years ago on this mystery and was intrigued. My interest was reignited recently after reading a novel called "Riptide" by Douglas Preston --- it's fiction, but the whole thing is *blatently* based on Oak Island.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has ever employed any sort of ground penetrating radar technology on Oak Island? I don't know much about this technology, so perhaps it's technical limitations are such that it wouldn't do much good...? But, just wondering if there has been any attempts to "map out" the subterranean landscape through the use of something like this?

Likewise --- have any efforts been made to survey the seabed surrounding the island? I can't help but wonder if perhaps there might be shipwrecks in the area which might yield clues as to the pit's builder(s)...?

thanks,
-Skip
sdaly
Digging for Clams

Radar

Postby Tank04 on Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:47 pm

Skip,

Nice to see so many new posters here all of a sudden, we need new blood as they say. So with that out of the way, I would like to be among the first to give you a hearty welcome to the Oak Island Treasure web site forum.

Yes, ground penetrating radar has been proposed and indeed, used on Oak Island by a retired U.S Army Colonel, H.A. Gardiner back in the last Part of the 1940's. His equipment was finicky and he did not accomplish much other than to infuriate Frederick Blair who owned the Treasure Trove Licence. Gilbert Heddon allowed Gardiner to do the work without so much as telling him about it. The cork really came off of the bottle when Blair further learned that Heddon sold his portion of Oak Island to Gardiner on a payment plan. Unfortunately, Gardiner died and the land reverted back to Heddon.

From what I have been told by those who have looked into this engineering, recent advancements have made this technology worth looking into. I have also been told that the depth that has to be searched is on the edge of radar capabilities and couple that with the debris in certain areas, they may well be better off giving that idea the heave ho. A more educated person in this area, may be able to give you better information than I.

Wow, you either hit the nail on the head with the last part of your first posting, or, you are fishing :wink: . They have done some scanning (multibeam bathymetry mapping)of the bottom off of Oak Island and they have found man made debris and what has been described as a shipwreck. The shipwreck has not been located accurately, and to date, no ne has been diving on it to determine what it is. There is no doubt that it is a shipwreck too, the scientist who made the observation is not prone to making off handed, inaccurate remarks.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

re: radar

Postby sdaly on Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:47 pm

Wow...thanks for the interesting response...good stuff there. And I appreciate the welcome.

As for my question about the seafloor --- that wasn't "fishing" on my part. I'm simply curious (as a "fan" of the mystery) about new angles that might be taken, employing technologies either not available (or not very refined) to previous expeditions.

I think I actually saw something on a message board for the history channel's "deep sea detectives" program (which has since been cancelled, incidentally), where a poster suggested an expedition to the OI area to look for shipwrecks. Unfortunately, there weren't any responses....and I didn't see anything else on this interesting subject elsewhere on the web.

Where (if anywhere) might one go to learn more about these intriguing "anamolies" on the sea floor in the area?
I presume plans are in the works to have a closer look at them...?

Best,
-Skip
sdaly
Digging for Clams

re: radar

Postby sdaly on Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:54 pm

P.S. another question.........

Is the location of the *original* money pit still "lost" (i.e. due to all the drilling, upheaval, etc on the island), or has anyone managed to re-locate it?

Interestingly enough, the characters in the aforementioned fictional novel I just read utilized carbon dating to locate the original pit (i.e. testing wood framing in the pit to find the one that dated back to the 1600/1700s). Of course, I don't know how much wood actually exists in the "real" pit.....in the novel, it actually had a wood framework while, if memory serves, the real pit merely had oak beams (long gone?) laid down every 10 feet....

??
sdaly
Digging for Clams

Postby mr_dogman2u on Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:33 pm

Sdaly-Welcome. You got the best-Tank- answering your questions! I hope to see you posting regularly. The location of the original money pit is no mystery, but the structure has been destroyed by dig now, research later treasure hunters who thought horsepower will defeat brainpower. While we are all lamenting the break in the action of actual digging, it mat be a blessing in disguise. Good to hear from you keep on posting!
Always do sober what you said you would do when drunk-It'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.--Ernest Hemingway
OITS MEMBER (me, not Hemingway!)
mr_dogman2u
Digging for Diamonds

Postby FutureProspect784 on Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:11 pm

Skip,

Welcome to the OITF! Tank gave you a good, detailed post, so I'll just wish you a very enjoyable time here with all of us.

See you around.

:)
88’s

FP

“I Want YOU.........To Solve The Oak Island Mystery!”

UNCLE SAM
FutureProspect784
Official Tour Guide

Postby badinfluence63 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:30 am

sdaly,

Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy your time here. Good first questions, shows a genuine interest on your part, thats always welcomed!

Is the location of the *original* money pit still "lost" (i.e. due to all the drilling, upheaval, etc on the island), or has anyone managed to re-locate it?

As mentioned by Lee Lamb, the money pit use to be on a 30-32 foot bluff. Thats the extent of the damage done to Oak Island over the years, like what MRDGM2U states. The original location of the MP is not exactly "lost". The designated area being presented as the original MP is actually something else and the original location of the MP as looking down at it from the 10X is to the right and up about XXXX(I don't recall just how many feet but its not alot, 50 or less maybe?) amount of feet. Thick bushes and tricky walking conditions. AT least the area being used is an actual existing shaft and appears prepable for your viewing pleasure :) .

Here are some pretty good photos if you haven't seen these already:

http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/photos.htm

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Money Pit

Postby Tank04 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:43 pm

Sdaly,

Where (if anywhere) might one go to learn more about these intriguing "anamolies" on the sea floor in the area?

There was a chart produced by the people who mapped the sea floor off the eastern end of Oak Island and it is publically available though the mail. You will want to contact the Bedford Institute of Oceanography in Bedford Nova Scotia here, http://www.bio.gc.ca/welcome-e.html Along with the chart, you will received a small booklet that describes the findings in scientific parlance.

I presume plans are in the works to have a closer look at them...?

You would think so wouldn’t you. I know of one diver who made a short but brave attempt to find it but simply did not spend the time and money necessary to find a wreck that potentially could be over 400 years old. It’s appearance on the bottom would be scant as it is a mud bottom and I think the best bang for the buck would be achieved with a magnetometer scan and then careful, low impact excavation by hand. If this wreck is Oak Island connected, it’s importance to the history of OI and history in general could be huge. I am sure there are others who have done some preliminary diving off OI, but I am not so sure about this shipwreck. Now that it is becoming better known, the day will come when someone tries to locate it and make a proper identification of the remains. I only hope whoever does it, is honest and goes about it in a proper way, no destruction looking for some sort of treasure.

As for your other question about the Money Pit, as BI describes, the location has not been lost as much as it has been totally destroyed by 211 years of what can fairly be described as indiscriminate digging. Any of the mentioned wood is long gone, but through surveying and dead reckoning, the current treasure hunters have a pretty good idea where it is.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Postby FutureProspect784 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:19 pm

Tank,

Thanks for posting that link. :)
88’s

FP

“I Want YOU.........To Solve The Oak Island Mystery!”

UNCLE SAM
FutureProspect784
Official Tour Guide

Postby badinfluence63 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:54 am

Tank,

I remember trying to pull anything Oak Island off this web site and I don't think you can? In requestinbg said Oak ISland report is there a reference number?

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Next

Return to General Discussion