Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/oakislan/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Oak Island Treasure • View topic - Map of Oak Island

Map of Oak Island

Sell, buy, exchange or request anything to do with Oak Island and the Money Pit.

Moderator: Jo

Treasure Map found!

Postby alvin grung on Sat May 17, 2008 3:23 am

Finally, the breakthrough! Contacted by an excellent fellow who still has two of the Shreddies maps from his youth. My surmise about an English genesis of the maps and toys was incorrect, though not a bad guess - they were produced in Canada by an illustrator who worked for Golden Books, so I guess it was national only in scope, which suggests why they have been so invisible to U.S. and U.K. collectors. He has scanned the Oak Island map and sent it to me. Man, kids got a better education in those days - it's packed with information, albeit of the sensational and mythical kind, where conjecture easily becomes fact. In any case, I am waiting to see if he minds me disseminating his handiwork. If all is permitted, I'll post it here shortly. It's great fun to look at. Anyone ever hear of a ghost dog who guarded the treasure?
alvin grung
Digging for Clams

Ghost dogs and Shreddies

Postby Tank04 on Sat May 17, 2008 11:24 am

alvin grung,

Is this the famous Shreddies map you speak of? The Oak Island Tourism Society owns this image and is a scan of what we have. Recently, a member of our Society sent me another scan (much better) telling me of his long time fascination with Oak Island that was pretty well initiated by the "treasure map" he found as a kid in his cereal box. This is not the full image as my scanner is not big enough, but it gives everyone an idea what they looked like.

It is indeed high detail and I agree with your comments of sensationalism and myth, but highly entertaining none the less, and attractive. The so called Ghost Dog is one of the better known Oak Island ghost stories along with mysterious crows, bumping noises in the night, specters and all sorts of unusual, unexplained phenomena.

Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

shreddies again

Postby alvin grung on Sat May 17, 2008 2:05 pm

yes, that is it. Wouldn't you know it? You had it all along. I have a nice, sharp, bright image, though there is as joint line where the two scans were joined. Do you have the original map? I guess your supplier was like mine, just someone who kept it all these years. Is your image online somewhere or have you just put it up here for the first time? My interest in Oak Island was also piqued precisely because of this map, which is why I have sought it all these years, not generally being a collectibles kind of guy.
alvin grung
Digging for Clams

Donation

Postby Tank04 on Sat May 17, 2008 4:15 pm

alvin grung,

I am pretty sure our copy is just that, a copy, I don't think it is an original item right out of the cereal box. For one thing, there are no fold marks, that is a great big clue and it did not smell like Shreddies.

It was donated to us after Explore Oak Island Days a number of years ago and I was told "it was something Dad had" or words to that effect. It is only recently I came to understand what it was we have and it's significance. Prior to that, I thought of it as a really cool poster, origins unknown.

This is the first time this has been displayed outside of Explore Oak Island Days. I do know a member of the Oak Island Tourism Society who has an original he pulled from the box himself.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Previous

Return to Items for sale/wanted