Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/oakislan/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Oak Island Treasure • View topic - swamp

swamp

The place for Oak Island related discussion. Got a question about the mystery? Need some pointers on where to find out more?

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

Re: Indiana Isaac

Postby FutureProspect784 on Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:43 pm

Bear wrote:FP,

I can see it now. Indiana Isaac wearing glasses that are broken in the front and held together with white tape, a pocket protector full of pens that don't write, and a 100% cotton whip coiled and attached to your belt.

However, Indiana Isaac would not be afraid of snakes - he would be afraid of ...

I can't say it! No, don't make me! We all know what it is. Okay, racoons!

Bear

:lol: :lol: That's hilarious. :lol: :lol:
88’s

FP

“I Want YOU.........To Solve The Oak Island Mystery!”

UNCLE SAM
FutureProspect784
Official Tour Guide

Postby mr_dogman2u on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:21 pm

The swamp will freeze over (if we get an average winter) and would be solid enough to walk on, so cutting a hole in the ice and lowering a devise to take the sample would be no problem as long as you did not get over/on Fred's land.

As long as any device is launched from Blankenship/MG land, could not a ROV view whatever is under the swamp? I guess, though that until things were worked out as to who gets what, they may not want to know what is there! I know in the States, if the swamp is considered navigable (i.e. you can float a boat on it) I believe that someone would have every right to do what they want on the surface of the swamp, as long as it is legal. Does the same apply to our neighbors up north?
Always do sober what you said you would do when drunk-It'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.--Ernest Hemingway
OITS MEMBER (me, not Hemingway!)
mr_dogman2u
Digging for Diamonds

ROV utility

Postby Dave on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:29 pm

Hey, all. I've been gone for quite some time, but still lurk from time to time. I thought I'd weigh in on a couple of items in this thread.

First, I've always been fascinated by the swamp and I think this is a good place to focus energy.

Second, I'm not sure how useful an ROV would be. Swamp are, by nature, very high in organic matter (both from terrestrial inputs and in situ growth) and therefore visibilty is low, even in the winter. Also, any "large" artifacts that might be there are likely either buried (due to high sedimentation rates) or decomposed (due to high bacterial activity). Therefore, if you are talking about using cameras, I'm not sure how effective this would be. Other, non-optical methods might be interesting however.

Finally, I think the idea of looking at sediment cores is a good one. Tank, I'd be interested to hear more about your friend's pollen idea and how this correlates to early human activity (maybe looking for crop pollens?) Actually, I think even offshore sediment cores would be interesting. If there was significant construction on the island at some point, you should be able to see this in the sediment cores (as a result of runoff). I know we have some folks on the forum who used to dive around OI. What does the bottom look like? Soft sediments? Hard bottom? Sand?

Cheers,

Dave
Dave
Digging for Gems

Advise

Postby Tank04 on Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:24 pm

mr_dogman2u,

Hey, great answer from Dave, and I agree with his assessment. Anything of weight or substance in that swamp may be buried under a few feet of hundreds of years of organic settlings and mud. Well preserved I may add, I'm willing to bet on it.

If I were in a position to advise Dan and the MG (and I'm not), I would not opt for an "in your face" exploration of the swamp. I don't really understand the legalities of using the water freely, but I can assure you, it would be like waving a red flag at a bull.

I suspect that floating on the water is the same in the US as t is here in Canada, but the swamp does not have much surface area anyway, you'll see it in August when you come up here. Very, very few people in Nova Scotia own the water column, but there are a few.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Postby mr_dogman2u on Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:43 pm

I would definitely agree with your thoughts concerning diplomacy. As I mentioned, it might be better not knowing what is there until some agreement is reached by all parties. For the sake of this conversation, though, I am taking Fred's obsevations at face value. He has said that he has seen cribbing and hewn timbers with roman numerals, so I do not think you would need something with a particularly high amount of sensitivity to see something that could be plainly seen by the naked eye from a distance.
Always do sober what you said you would do when drunk-It'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.--Ernest Hemingway
mr_dogman2u
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Dave on Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:46 pm

Well preserved I may add, I'm willing to bet on it.

Tank, I'm not sure how well preserved things will be. This obviously depends on many factors (including the nature of the artifact). Assuming something wooden, there will almost certainly be significant decay. Decay rates will slow down (although not stop) when a sediment becomes anoxic (no oxygen, which acts as a terminal electron acceptor for bacterial respiration). You will sometimes see artifacts which ahve been well preserved in sediments, but only when they are buried relatively quickly. Because the water column in the swamp is relatively shallow and because the watershed which drains the swamp is relatively small (I think, please correct me if I am wrong about the watershed size) that the sedimentation rate will be on the order of inches per year (maybe <10" per year). If this is the case, than any large wooden artifacts (just for example, some mining equipment ) would undergo several years to decades of oxic degredation before it would be even partially buried.

Metal, however, is another story...

I also noticed on another thread some discussion about draining the swamp, specifically whether the potential man made nature of the swamp would change its wetlands designation and therefore make it easier to get a permit to drain. I cannot speak to Canadian law, but in the U.S. a wetland is designated based on soil and vegetation types and it doesn't matter if it is man made or not; so it would still be protected.

Cheers,

Dave
Dave
Digging for Gems

Pollen

Postby Tank04 on Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:50 pm

Dave,

I'd be interested to hear more about your friend's pollen idea and how this correlates to early human activity

I would like to hear more about it too, but alas, I'm a layman trying to regurgitate what that man told me.

From what I was able to understand, human intervention in an area like pre 1795 Oak Island, would leave tell tale traces of their visit. Pollen from their clothes, activities, digging, environmental conditions and habits would be suspended in the silt in the swamp and those who know how to conduct these tests can read information from it like a book. I also recall that this is not horribly expensive.

Aside from that, I am fairly convinced the swamp is a somewhat virgin area from exploration. Fred Nolan as we all know tried to drain the swamp, then abruptly gave up. So, the swamp has not been well explored. I envision, bottles, broken tools, bones (from meals) discarded materials and even some tailings from excavation work. Can you imagine the rush of excitement if someone were to find a pile of broken (previously excavated) anhydrite bedrock in the swamp, a shoe buckle, sword, lance, or a four hundred year old bottle or dish.

I know we have some folks on the forum who used to dive around OI. What does the bottom look like? Soft sediments? Hard bottom? Sand?

You can get all those conditions all around Oak Island, it is not consistently the same al around the island. For instance, in the cove that separates OI from mainland Western Shore and the Resort, there is a lot of mud. Off Isaac's Point, (near Smith's Cove) the bottom is rocky for a stretch, then a gravel/mud mix. Off the nor'eastern shore, between Oak Island and Chester, the bottom is scoured gravel, then later muddy. Lots of current here too.

A friend of mine found an old ship's sounding lead with the tallow hole in the bottom on that last mentioned bottom. It was almost covered in sediment and according to one marine biologist I consulted who knew the area, that sounding lead would have had to have been there a long time to get covered over.

So, the ocean bottom off OI still has some secrets to divulge and that is open game for anyone to explore. Mind you, if you find a treasure (not likely) the last Treasure Trove License issued for the island off those areas, held out for a 300 foot perimeter. :wink:
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Postby mr_dogman2u on Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:58 pm

Fred Nolan as we all know tried to drain the swamp, then abruptly gave up

This abrupt "gave up" , was it voluntary?
mr_dogman2u
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Dave on Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:22 pm

Pollen in sediments is often times used to look for climate change (as evident by shifts in pollen speciation). I've never heard of it being used to identify anthropogenic activities. I could potentially see this working if you saw a shift from tree pollen to crop pollen following a deforestation to agricultural shift, but I've never seen it applied this way.

Wetlands have historically been used as dumps ("hey if the water isn't potable, we might as well throw our crap in it") so it wouldn't surprise me at all to find some interesting things in there.

Thanks for the info on the offshore sediments. This type of heterogenity is pretty common along the NE North American coast.
Dave
Digging for Gems

Postby FutureProspect784 on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:13 pm

All,

Maybe I'm just way out there on this one, and please tell me if I am, but couldn't a Multibeam Bathymetry, like the one that was done at the Eastern end of Oak Island be performed with the same results? :) But I suppose that it wouldn't really be able to pick out the finer details the way an ROV or diver could.
88’s

FP

“I Want YOU.........To Solve The Oak Island Mystery!”

UNCLE SAM
FutureProspect784
Official Tour Guide

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion