Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/oakislan/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Oak Island Treasure • View topic - The Swamp...

The Swamp...

The place for Oak Island related discussion. Got a question about the mystery? Need some pointers on where to find out more?

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

Postby badinfluence63 on Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:18 am

Trev,MDK,

MDK wrote:

While walking the road alongside the swamp, I wondered about that. It seems that the road is now almost a "coffer dam" keeping the ocean out of the swamp, and I wondered if the road was built upon a previous (natural or otherwise) feature, or if it has been built up as it is now in known times

My thoughts exactly.

BI63
(OIts Member)

PS MDK..how was your ride to Halifax :lol: :lol: :lol:
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Interesting Shaft?

Postby TemplarScribe on Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:54 am

Tank04 wrote:IThen one day Fred decides to drain the swamp (no doubt based on a good idea) and the top of an old shaft appears.

I'm not aware of anything in print about this. Did D'Arcy ever cover this? And what became of the shaft -- was it ever investigated? Any artifacts come up wth it?

The other curious item RRD2 mentioned was the "puddled clay" that supposedly was the same as used in the Money Pit. This is the first I've ever heard of a link between the two. Is this supported by research from Woods Hole, or some other group?

I also recall a discussion of the swamp elsewhere on the Forum where the suggestion was made that there was a drydock in tyhe wetland. Perhaps that was part of the same story that Tank mentioned about the wooden pilings separating the ocean from the swamp.

BTW: The Celts used to believe certain wetanad areas were the entrance to the Underworld. They would deposit coins, weapons, and the occasional half-dead victim in them, many of which would be preserved by the highly tannic waters. I wonder if such ideas carried over to the Mic'Mac, and whether any dilligent serch has ver been conducted inside the area.

TemplarScribe
Member OITS
"Every great thinker is someone else's moron."
-- Umberto Eco, "Focault's Pendulum"
TemplarScribe
Digging for Diamonds

Da swamp

Postby Tank04 on Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:44 pm

TS,

I'm not aware of anything in print about this. Did D'Arcy ever cover this? And what became of the shaft -- was it ever investigated? Any artifacts come up wth it?

I'm not sure if D'Arcy covered this event in his latest book or not. It is not widely known, but is known none the less. The shaft to my knowledge, was allowed to fill in again due to a tiff between Nolan and Triton at the time over the draining of the swamp, property boundaries etc.

I don't know if any artifacts were taken at that time from the shaft top, but I do know they found a rubble cart and some old lifting buckets (treasure hunter items) in the swamp. They have since been removed from the swamp and are quietly rusting and falling apart next to the old interpretive centre on the island. What a crying shame. :cry:
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Re: Da swamp

Postby TemplarScribe on Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:22 pm

Tank04 wrote:I don't know if any artifacts were taken at that time from the shaft top, but I do know they found a rubble cart and some old lifting buckets (treasure hunter items) in the swamp. They have since been removed from the swamp and are quietly rusting and falling apart next to the old interpretive centre on the island.

Sounds like the shaft may have been a treasure hunter's inpoint. Still, it's important to catalgue and explore all such places. There may have been a specific reason why they chose to excavate there.

What a crying shame.

Yeah, half-way between ridiculous and borderline criminal. Sure hope some bona-fide archeologists get in the mix when the new landowners come a'calling.

Hey, is there going to be a thread discussing what was shared at EOID? Any new pictures or revelations that we in the hinterlands aren;t privy to -- like the "known-but-not-well-known" swamp shaft?

TemplarScribe
Member OITS
TemplarScribe
Digging for Diamonds

two types

Postby opus on Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:34 pm

Gang,

Looking at this thread brings a thought to mind: if one was to create a project for examining the OI mystery and continuing the search from a professional point of view, there are two types of experts needed - one for the archeological aspect and two, for the anthropological side of things.

I've always thought that while the OI mystery needs to be "solved" (whatever that means - insert your definition here), a large part of the planned Interpretative Centre would have to address the history of the search, complete with rusting implements restored to former glory. That should gainfully employ dozens!

Templar and Tank's posts sure get me thinking...

By the way, I have a blueprint in mind for the Centre if anyone's interested.

Opus
A treasure hunter will take your money and his experience and turn it into his money and your experience.
opus
Digging for Diamonds

Postby badinfluence63 on Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:20 am

Opus,

I would be interested.

There have been many interesting thoughts on that concept. Some have mentioned securing the money pit with an elevator so visitors can experience the money pit's depth and the disoveries along various levels of the MP. Others have expressed being able to continue with treasure retrieval and still allow tourist too(block off the area not to be traversed but the unused areas open to visitors/tourist), and the OITS proposal as stated on the OITS web page.

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Yes, But No.

Postby TemplarScribe on Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:07 am

badinfluence63 wrote:Some have mentioned securing the money pit with an elevator so visitors can experience the money pit's depth and the disoveries along various levels of the MP.

Hmmmm.... Makes me wonder if there isn't a "Dan Blankenship Thrill Ride" being planned. One where you can ride down to 150 feet or so, then feel your heart race as the walls begin to buckle, rivets ricochet around, and the water begins to churn up from below as you scream for someone to pull you to the surface before you're entombed forever.

Don't get me wrong, I myself would love to get down there in the mud below bedrock. But until valid safety concerns are met, the idea of a public elevator through water-saturated, unstable ground is hard to accept. Unless someone comes in with $30-40 million to build it AND insure it. More than what would be needed to simply excavate that darned thing, I'd wager.

Yeah BI, I know what you're thinking: Mr. Old Wet Blanket rears his ugly head. That's what you get from me at 4 AM. (|^O) <--- me yawning

TemplarScribe
Member OITS
TemplarScribe
Digging for Diamonds

Postby badinfluence63 on Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:19 am

TS,

Yeah BI, I know what you're thinking: Mr. Old Wet Blanket rears his ugly head. That's what you get from me at 4 AM. (|^O) <--- me yawning

Not at all. Just trouble shooting ideas that would enlighten the experience called Oak Island,NS!

I believe once all is said and done Canada and the world will see Oak Island for the hidden gem that it always has been.

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Interpretive center

Postby Tank04 on Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:49 am

OPUS,

By the way, I have a blueprint in mind for the Centre if anyone's interested.

You can bet I'm all ears, er ah eyes, whatever.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

themes

Postby opus on Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:08 am

What fun: to build in one's mind, the most beautiful of things. We're a curious bunch, humanity, like the lowly ants, we me are restlessly seeking to build...

Okay, as a start on the Centre we'd like to see, a consensus on overall "look" would seem to be a difficult proposition. Let me start by saying to Tank: whenever this gets off the ground, DO NOT PERMIT SUCH A PROJECT TO BE DESIGNED BY COMMITTEE!

Having said that, let's permit the totally fun part of design to be open to discussion here.

Step one, since I can't transmit a drawing (the scanner can't handle my drawings yet!), let's start with a theme. It makes complete sense to me that the nautical passages brought our OI designer to his destination. A nautical theme is in order.

Step two, what is the ultimate purpose of the site for the centre - mere history display? theatre? a Tim's? outbuildings for overnighters?

There's your starting point gang. Let's talk...

Opus
A treasure hunter will take your money and his experience and turn it into his money and your experience.
opus
Digging for Diamonds

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion