Presentation on 20 June 2009

Details of Oak Island related events, meets and adventures across the world.

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

Presentation on 20 June 2009

Postby n4n224ccw on Mon May 11, 2009 2:03 pm

All,

I am very pleased to announce a presentation called "Essential History of Oak Island 1753 to 1795 - A presentation and discussion of over 500 never before published documents which detail the island's early history", will be held on 20 June 2009 at the Western Shore and Area Improvement Association, 6485 Hwy 3, Western Shore B0J 3M0, Nova Scotia from 7pm to 9pm.

This presentation is free to the general public with members of the Oak Island Tourism Society highly encouraged to attend.

Come relearn of the island's history through documents of established fact, not by promotion of tales and legend.

Danny this was a grand idea you suggested.

--
The most important single page of Oak Island information ever created can be found here: http://www.oakislandtheories.com
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Re: Presentation on 20 June 2009

Postby badinfluence63 on Tue May 12, 2009 12:07 am

I guess I know how I will be spending my Saturday night. Always wanted to see documents that alledgedly countered the established Oak Island story as is known. I hope the ending still substanciates treasure.

And free....I'll make a donation to the hall.
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby Purcell on Tue May 12, 2009 11:10 am

n4N

My wife and I will attend your presentation. Can you also provide a presentation on Sunday?
Purcell
Digging for Clams

Postby n4n224ccw on Wed May 13, 2009 1:47 am

See you both there.

Purcell,

You read my mind. I was thinking of providing presentations on Thursday evening, Friday evening, Saturday day and evening and one on Sunday; however, the Saturday evening presentation is a one time only deal. If you miss it, there will never be another opportunity.
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby n4n224ccw on Fri May 15, 2009 10:02 pm

Some folks have PM’d or emailed me and requesting an overview of my presentation. The general flow of my presentation will be the following:

General History of Mahone Bay to 1795
English Settlement Period 1753 to 1809
Shoreham Grant
Biographies

-Oak Island property owners prior to the arrival of the Loyalists in 1784.
-Biographies – Those Associated with the local history
-Biographies – Those of Oak Island after 1784 to 1795
-Specific History of those associated with the community and island
Smuggling
Sacking of Lunenburg

-Background
-Sacking of Lunenburg Account 1
-Sacking of Lunenburg Account 2
-Sacking of Lunenburg Account 3
-Sacking of Lunenburg Account 4
-Summary of Observations
THE SACKING OF LUNENBURG PART II - The Chester Visit
-Summary of Observations
-Conclusions for the Sacking of Lunenburg Part I and II
-Oak Island Connected
Loyalists
When was discovery?
The Onslow Trigger
Conclusions

Attached are a few images from the presentation. These strictly deal with John Smith’s genealogy, including some letters to both his father and mother. The document clearly shows John, his mother, and step-father moved to Oak Island during the late 1780s. This can be confirmed through property deeds and through the Poll-Tax of 1791. The source is from the Public Archives of NS MG 100 Volume 230 #32-32E (Reel 9809) Descendants of the Smith and Floyd Families. The record appears to have been compiled between 1884- 1888/1889 onwards as a column on page 7 says "Where at in 1884". A separate and duplicate entry focusing on John Smith of Oak Island can be found in folder #23 of the same series and volume. The dates contained in this document are specific in some cases which indicate a further and older recorded source, perhaps a family bible from John Smith himself? If such a bible exists, it might also record information of exactly what happened.

Notice how many Smiths are listed as dying on Oak Island including one in an accident.

This information would have been available to Blair who crafted the date of 1795, and he claims to have done an extensive investigation. It most certainly would have been available to RV Harris. Ever wonder how either man knew Smith was from Boston and born in 1775; yet provided very little additional information? This source was available to RV Harris and all subsequent authors; however, why wouldn’t Blair or Harris include this additional information? Harris list the wrong marriage in his book, something that I previously posted, due to there being two John Smiths in Chester and each marrying a daughter of a Floyd.

Once again, I wonder why Blair does not tell of John Smith's side of the story and why he would state a previously uninhabited island in his affidavit prospectus?

The images are each ½ pages from a book, with even numbers being the left page and odd number being the right page.

The above image shows the first generation of John Smith’s lineage which starts with John’s father Duncan and brothers. Duncan married Margaret McLean. Duncan would eventually be granted Oak Island lot #24 during 1784. Other records show Duncan died 1785. John’s mother would remarry to Neal McMullen and they would move to Oak Island in 1788/1789. Neal took possession of lot 11 on 6 Oct 1789, then lots 9 and 10 in June 1793, thus lot 11 should be the location for a homestead.

Notice in the above image of how many Smiths are listed as dying on Oak Island including one in an accident.

The above image is highly illuminating.

The above images are just a small sample from my presentation. I consider the above documents of minor importance but do contribute to the big picture. You’ll just have to attend the one time only presentation to see the rest.

Danny and Jo, you’re both more than welcome to copy the images and post them on your respective web pages or to display at EOIDs. D'Arcy, you may wish to consider this ref for your next Oak Island book.

You're all more than welcome,

Cheers
Last edited by n4n224ccw on Sat May 16, 2009 12:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby D'Arcy on Fri May 15, 2009 11:58 pm

n4n224ccw wrote: D'Arcy, you may wish to consider this ref for your next Oak Island book. Cheers

Paul:

Nice historical sleuthing work and archival finds on your part! It does indeed cast a whole new light on the "discovery" prior to 1795. However, if I ever do write another Oak Island book, I can assure you that 90% or more of it will deal with what has been uncovered and what has transpired on the island since about 1969 - which, as I've mentioned before, is what has always made me a firm believer in the fact that someone long ago went to a lot of trouble to (presumably) hide something deep beneath the island. What it was, and who did it, and whether "it" is still there, remains to be seen - hopefully by Dan and the Michigan Mob in the next couple of years.

D'Arcy
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby acdonah on Sun May 17, 2009 2:15 am

N4n,

I'll be there and look forward to the presentation. It sounds like it will be a good one. What you have done is nothing short of amazing. I know it was painstaking work Paul and I applaud what you have done. I wish I had your passion and drive to take on something so demanding and arduous. Its nice to know that the "real" story can be told from a historical perspective rather than a legend. I know we all love legends, but I believe in the end, it's human nature to debunk information that is false especially when it involves a mystery such as Oak Island.

Lastly, I would like to comment that even though the real history is being uncovered, it doesn't mean there isn't treasure still buried under Oak Island. I think some people are resistant to the new information because they think it means that the treasure never existed or retrieved already. However, I don't think that is what you saying at all. Obviously, there is tons of mystery still left to figure out and thanks to you we are a little closer to solving the mystery.

acd
acdonah
Digging for Diamonds

Postby badinfluence63 on Sun May 17, 2009 8:20 am

Its not like all that ACDonah. Presentation and delivery, how one conducts themselves with the delivery of ones body of work has a lot to do with it too. I personally have come around with regards to Pauls work but not because I sucumbed to the beating over the head way he use to deliver the gospel of Oak Island according to Paul. I still don't like that approach by anyone. Nobody with any shred of dignity wants to be the recipient of a forced fed inflexible doctrine whether its right or wrong or at the expense of or throwing others under the bus. Present the material and let it speak for itself. I believe that is the difference in what Paul is doing. Are there some others who are unwilling to give new information a chance because of some of the reasons you mention? Sure. Two wrongs don't make a right though and I for one appreciate Pauls new and refreshing approach. I'm willing to give it a listen. I encourage others to do the same. As long as someones not trying to shove something down my throat I'm on board, at least to the point of giving it an honest listen. That and there is still treasure at the end of Pauls Oak Island rainbow!!!

Thats my bone of contention with how the OITS is run and why I don't belong, thats another story.
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby Rick on Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:56 pm

N,

I'll be there. :) email me.. we'll do lunch.
-= Friends of Oak Island Society =-
Rick
Future Tour Guide

Postby n4n224ccw on Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:34 pm

Rick wrote:N,

I'll be there. :) email me.. we'll do lunch.

thanks man, you bet!

n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Next

Return to Oak Island Events