Oak Island in 1966

The Oak Island Money Pit in the media - news, press releases, tv and online.
Have you come across an interesting link? This is the place to share it.

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

Oak Island in 1966

Postby D'Arcy on Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:23 am

I just stumbled across this tacky National Film Board promo film about Canada. It has an interesting aerial sequence (about 9 minutes and 50 seconds in) of Oak Island in 1966. Taken, I guess, while Bob Dunfield and Dan Blankenship were working the island. They sure liked to make things go Boom!

http://www.nfb.ca/film/helicopter_canada/

D'Arcy
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Re: Oak Island in 1966

Postby Tank04 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:29 pm

D'Arcy,

Great show, loved it. I got hooked at the opening sequence with the helicopter and yodeling and watched the entire thing. I mean what is more Canadian than helicopters and yodeling?

No doubt in my mind at the 10:50 mark, that IS Robert Dunfield in his trade mark light coloured (wool?) overcoat. Dan can't be far away and I bet Jim Kaizer is there too. Boom indeed!!!
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Postby D'Arcy on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:03 pm

[quote="Tank04"]

I mean what is more Canadian than helicopters and yodeling? /quote]

I guess you didn't notice that a beaver was flying the helicopter and a moose was doing the yodeling!

D'Arcy
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby Tank04 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:08 pm

That was a Beaver!!! I didn't know they can fly!!!

Lester B. Pearson at the 20:47 was a blast from the past.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Postby D'Arcy on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:05 pm

My favorite part (right near the beginning) was when they show a bunch of people swimming and frolicking at some beach, and the VO says: "These are Canadian natives. See how happy they are to see visitors."

Then we see a bunch of white bread families on the beach and in the water.

And here was I expecting to see Cree, Inuit, Mohawk, Mickmac and other Canadian "natives" happy in their squalid reserves? Silly me!

Where the hell is Keith Ranville when we need him?

D'Arcy
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby Tank04 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:45 am

D'Arcy,

And here was I expecting to see Cree, Inuit, Mohawk, Mickmac and other Canadian "natives" happy in their squalid reserves? Silly me!

Funny, I thought the same thing. I was at a camp fire presentation a few weeks ago at Cape Blomidon Park listening to a Seneca Mohawk (Turtle Tribe) guy telling ancient native stories, his summer gig. He sure made it sound pretty sweet for them in the pre-contact time. I also note there is very little about our Native brothers and sisters in that film, it was from a different time.

Be sure to ask me someday how it is the Bear ended up with his stumpy little tail.
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Return to News & Press