TTL Petition

The Oak Island Money Pit in the media - news, press releases, tv and online.
Have you come across an interesting link? This is the place to share it.

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

Re: TTL Petition

Postby mutakwe on Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:50 pm

....L.M.A.O. FP!....HEHEHEHE. :lol:

Joy
"Never Give Up" - Dan Blankenship
mutakwe
Digging for Diamonds

Postby D'Arcy on Thu May 13, 2010 5:15 pm

Posters:

I just noticed that the petition to be delivered to the NS government in support of Dan and the Michigan Mob's TTL application is only 19 names short of 1,000 signatures. Any poster who has not already signed it, here's you chance to become "Number 1000". I have no idea how much weight Kari Lynne Mitchell's initiative will carry with those NS cabinet ministers and back-benchers, but I really admire the fact that Kari, along with the assistance of Jo, started it in the first place.

SIGN, BABY, SIGN!

(Also: GO, HABS, GO! - A contemporary Montreal hockey chant, for all you non-Canadians)
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby D'Arcy on Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:23 pm

This recent radio show out of Halifax is interesting.

http://www.cbc.ca/maritimemagazine/2010 ... ebate.html

However what I want to know is how the province's Treasure Trove Act differentiates between a known potential treasure or archeological discovery (i.e. an offshore wreck off the coast of Nova Scotia that has been located and identified) versus something as speculative as digging for possible treasure on Oak Island - something that no one in over 200 years has yet been able to identify in terms of its location, source or even proven existence. So it seems to me that lumping the Oak Island search into the debate over known maritime wrecks makes no sense at all.
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby n4n224ccw on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:40 pm

D'Arcy wrote:... something that no one in over 200 years has yet been able to identify in terms of its location, source or even proven existence.

Rather something that no one in over 200 years has ever reported as finding.
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby D'Arcy on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:58 pm

[quote="n4n224ccw Rather something that no one in over 200 years has ever reported as finding. [/quote]

Exactly my point, Paul. So explain to me (and others) why a rewriting or a total repeal of the TT Act should or could apply to the OI search as it stands today. Wouldn't that be the same as prohibiting adventurers from scuba-diving on total speculation off of the NS coast? The government's concern, as I understand it, is to prevent searchers from plundering (and archeologically damaging) known wrecks. And I agree with that. However, you know as well as I do that the "OI treasure" is only speculative, based on a couple of hundred years of circumstantial (albeit very enticing) evidence. So why not license Dan and the Michigan Mob (and Fred Nolan) to spend their own money drilling and digging to their hearts content? Especially because they are doing it on their own property, and not in government-owned and regulated offshore waters. And if and when they should strike something of value and of interest to the province, then by all means bring in the N.S. Museum, provincial archeologists and Heritage wonks to oversee their operation. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby po79 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:11 pm

D'Arcy wrote:[quote="n4n224ccw Rather something that no one in over 200 years has ever reported as finding.

Especially because they are doing it on their own property, and not in government-owned and regulated offshore waters.[/quote]

Hi D'arcy,

How long do you think the above statement will last?

I only ask as it relates to one of my next questions, but do you ever see a day when someone in power attempts to place some sort of preservation order on the island or turn it into a heritage site (or the Canadian equivalent).

I think most people can see the islands potential tourist attraction values and considering the damage that has been done over the last 200 odd years and some could say is still being done I wouldn't be surprised if refusing a TTL then placing such an order on the island (if possible?) would force out the current owners and put the province or government in the perfect position to buy up the island and use it to its fullest potential.

Sorry to have gone off topic,

Po.
po79
Digging for Ore

Postby MI Gofer on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:13 pm

[/quote]

Hi D'arcy,

How long do you think the above statement will last?

I only ask as it relates to one of my next questions, but do you ever see a day when someone in power attempts to place some sort of preservation order on the island or turn it into a heritage site (or the Canadian equivalent).

I think most people can see the islands potential tourist attraction values and considering the damage that has been done over the last 200 odd years and some could say is still being done I wouldn't be surprised if refusing a TTL then placing such an order on the island (if possible?) would force out the current owners and put the province or government in the perfect position to buy up the island and use it to its fullest potential.

Sorry to have gone off topic,

Po.[/quote]

Dear Po -

So you are suggesting that it would be a good thing for the current owners ~ people that have spent considerable time, energy and money over the course of 30+ years ~ to be “forced out” so that the government can buy up the island and use it to its "fullest potential"? Interesting….

We do understand the tourist attraction angle, but it seems like the government would be further ahead by letting the owners explore their property and Nova Scotia share in the findings if anything of value is retrieved. Then you’ve really got a tourist attraction.

In case you are not aware, we have worked with the Heritage folks and an archeologist during our quest to receive a TTL. So we are trying to do our part in preserving the island and minimizing any damage to valuable areas on the island.

And please accept my apologies, readers, as I have also posted an “off topic” item.

Cheers –
MI Gofer
MI Gofer
Digging for Gold

Postby D'Arcy on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi Shari:

No need to apologize, since the long-delayed TTL is the topic. And I wholeheartedly concur with your arguments. In my opinion, the NS politicians are behaving totally irresponsibly - and not just in the case of Oak Island Tours Inc. and Fred Nolan, but also towards their constituents, the Nova Scotia population as a whole.

Cheers,

D'Arcy
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby po79 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:39 pm

Mi Gofer,

I have sent you a PM.

Thanks,

Po.
po79
Digging for Ore

Postby Jo on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:44 pm

A quick update on the petition - I have heard from the creator, Kari, and I'm pleased to report that it is in the final stages of being submitted to the Province. A letter is being drafted as we speak, so as soon as I have more information, I'll share it with you here.

As it stands, there are 1408 signatures, so if you've not done so already, you can sign it here: http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/ ... i?mystery1
[b]Website & Forum Manager[/b]
http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk

Keep up to date with the Oak Island treasure hunt by following us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OakIsland
Jo
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News & Press