HMS Investigator

Share other mysteries that have captured your imagination here...

Moderators: Jo, divemedic

HMS Investigator

Postby Procutus on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:00 pm

Posters;

Wow, it appears as though it's been quite some time since there was much new activity in this section of the Forum. I came across this article of interest just a few days ago and wanted to share. As some of you know, the missing Franklin Expedition has long been a subject of interest to me and I got quite excited when I saw the headline on this, as I at first thought that either the Erebus or the Terror had been located.

Check this out:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100729/ap_ ... ship_found

For further info, here's the Wiki entry for the Investigator:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Invest ... %281848%29

This is a situation where I firmly believe that the preservation of the vessel should be maintained; after all, this is not a sunken treasure-laden ship. However, I do think any documents that might still exist aboard the ship should be retrieved for study.

regards,

Procutus
"Nothing happens unless first we dream."
- Carl Sandburg
Procutus
Future Tour Guide

Re: HMS Investigator

Postby wayward on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:11 pm

I am also very interested in Franklins voyage, thanks for posting that story about the Investigator. The part of the legend about Franklins crew that really intrigues me is the possibility of some descendents of the crew among the Inuits.
on the trail of the grail
wayward
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Procutus on Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:15 pm

wayward;

Greetings! Nice to find another person who shares my interest in Franklin's lost expedition. Not everyone is familiar with the subject; I myself didn't learn about it until about three years ago when I came across a copy of The Franklin Conspiracy by Jeffrey Blair Latta. The book detailed the various expeditions that went in search of Franklin and his crews and the setbacks they suffered. Latta also offered a rather unusual theory regarding their disappearance, though in leading up to it, he then did not devote too many pages to his theory.

Another really good book on the subject is Resolute by Martin W. Sandler. This book will truly make one appreciate the harsh nature of Arctic exploration in the mid-to-late 19th century.

For those still unfamiliar with the name of Sir John Franklin, here's the Wiki link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_John_Franklin

regards,

Proc
- Carl Sandburg
Procutus
Future Tour Guide

Postby wayward on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:50 pm

Actually I am interested in all of those "northwest passage" blokes. Something to think about, they weren't looking for "a northwest passage", they were looking for "the northwest passage". Did they somehow know it was there? Of course now we know it is there, and it would have been there before the so called "little ice age". Vessels are using it more and more often as the ice leaves earlier each year, even to the beginning of arguing about who should control this route. It could even turn out to be quite a windfall for Canada and also many of the small villages along the passage.
on the trail of the grail
wayward
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Procutus on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:57 pm

wayward wrote:
Something to think about, they weren't looking for "a northwest passage", they were looking for "the northwest passage". Did they somehow know it was there?

wayward;

At the time prior to, and even after Franklin sailed (1845) it was more of a belief that the NWP existed, not that the Admiralty knew it for a fact. They suspected, and the push to find it was an attempt to establish British naval superiority in the world at the time - very similar to the U.S.'s push to land a man on the moon before the end of the 1960s.

In one of the books I read on the topic of the NWP, it was pointed out that Artic explorers like Franklin and James Ross were the astronauts of their day. After all, they were indeed venturing into a harsh and alien territory to explore.

regards,

Proc
- Carl Sandburg
Procutus
Future Tour Guide

Return to Other Mysteries