History Channel Program on 2012

Share other mysteries that have captured your imagination here...

Moderators: Jo, divemedic

History Channel Program on 2012

Postby Procutus on Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:22 pm

Posters;

Some time back, we had a thread going in here about the Mayan calendar and how the current cycle will end on December 21, 2012. Over the past few years, that date has become synonymous with the impending end of the world... It's like the new Y2K, only with more dire consequences.

:shock:

Last week, the History Channel ran a segment of their series The Nostradamus Effect regarding various theories on 2012 and how other cultures in their mythology have pointed to this year as an end-date of history, not just the Mayans. While I don't personally believe it's all going to come tumbling down in just a little over three years from now, it does make for interesting view and topic discussion. I was curious if anyone else saw this program and what they thought of it.

regards,

Procutus
"Nothing happens unless first we dream."
- Carl Sandburg
Procutus
Future Tour Guide

Re: History Channel Program on 2012

Postby kitch on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:23 am

I did not see the program and while I like to follow along such ideas and see where they lead, I have my doubts about the 2012 thing. I always wondered how the Mayans could predict this and yet not see the end of their own civilisation.
kitch
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Procutus on Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:54 pm

That's a very valid point there kitch, which should give anyone pause to consider before they hit the streets screaming that the sky is falling (or some other such nonsense).

While I'm not anymore concerned about 2012 than I've been about other end-of-the-world scenarios in the past 20 years, it does make for an interesting study. What I worry about is the vast, unwashed masses turning it into a self-fullfilling prophecy when Decemeber 21 approaches that year.
- Carl Sandburg
Procutus
Future Tour Guide

Postby Vincent on Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:38 am

The main aspect of the 2012 prophecy that captures my imagination is the regularity with which the date and the scenario continually pop up throughout history in documents which we know to be historically and internationally recognised as factual and authentic, for example The Holy Bible, The I Ching, The Koran etc.
When we read anything about the 2012 prophecy the one thing we always forget is that this particular story has been told thousands of times in the past and is even accepted as an integral part of humanities history.
Almost every single civilisation has mentioned that there was a great flood that washed the earth clean leaving almost no survivors, this is not a story solely told by The Bible it has been mentioned by the Egyptians, The Greeks, The South American Indians (Aztecs, Olmecs, Toltecs, Maya etc.) North American Indians, Australian aboriginals, The Sumerians, The Chinese even the European Celts, now this all begs the question "Is it true?", obviously this question is answered by our own personal beliefs I for one believe that they are all referring to the end of the last ice age (approx. 15,000 bc), and I also suspect that "ice age" is nothing more than a part of the planets natural cycle and that it is going to happen again, but why the constant mention of 2012? A lot of this is based, rather loosely, on the Mayan calendar because it ends on that particular date, there is no proof that there is a specific reason for his, maybe the guy who made the calendar got bored or died or just simply couldn't be bothered to calculate anything well beyond his years.
All that said we are lucky in some ways as we will get the chance to see if anything happens, it may be just another day or the most amazing thing and the last thing we will ever see.
Quick pass me a spade! I`ve had another idea.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Postby Procutus on Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:52 pm

Posters;

Hard to believe how much time has gone by since I initially created this thread; as I write this, it's now 29 days until December 21 and the end of the current cycle on the Mayan calendar. Will the world come to an end? Probably not, though I'm fairly certain that the media will begin to hype this a wee bit more in the coming weeks. Like so many previous end of the world scenarios (Y2K, the predictions of Christ's last year, the comet Kohoutek - remember that one?) I honestly think that the day in question will come and go, and life will go on.

Still we live in very uncertain times, and it's not beyond possibility that the end of the Mayan calendar could signify the end of days. The way I look at it, if in fact we're looking at the end, then there's very little we can do about it. If December 22 dawns and Christmas Day is still ahead of us, then we can all be thankful and prepare to enter into a brave new world as 2013 arrives.

Let the countdown begin!

regards to all,

Procutus
- Carl Sandburg
Procutus
Future Tour Guide

Postby Tank04 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Procutus,

I'm going to have a full case of ice cold Keets for the big day and I'm going to ride into oblivion screaming my lungs out like Major T.J. "King" Kong the guy who rode the "bomb" in Dr. Strangelove. YeeeeHaaaaaa!!!!

If on the odd chance the world does not come to an end, I'm just going to finish off the beer after I get out of jail for disturbing the peace here in our rural paradise.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Postby Procutus on Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:50 pm

Tank04 wrote:
If on the odd chance the world does not come to an end, I'm just going to finish off the beer after I get out of jail for disturbing the peace here in our rural paradise.

Sounds like a plan to me!

:lol:
- Carl Sandburg
Procutus
Future Tour Guide

Return to Other Mysteries