Kheops

Share other mysteries that have captured your imagination here...

Moderators: Jo, divemedic

Re: Kheops

Postby wayward on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:39 pm

Mysterious,I see you had a question on latitude sailing earlier in this thread.I had been told to investigate here and happened to see it.The line you show is a great circle route,which is the shortest distance between two points east and west.Early sailing was done by latitude only,which would mean they would sail by latitude only the whole distance drifting north or south with what we now call kentucky windage to arrive at the looked for latitude of the destination.You mention John Bear,he talked about how the latitude of La Rochelle was the same as the northern Cape Breton area,so the voyagers to N.S. would skirt the island west of the La Rochelle harbor and sail that latitude to Cape Breton.A slightly longer route then the great circle but it is doubtful if they even knew of that technique. Bill
on the trail of the grail
wayward
Digging for Diamonds

Postby mysteriousNS on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm

It is me Bill! I have an email in the works for you now. Trying to gather some Blue Mountain info. I see your Charing Cross thread :) give me the weekend to go through some of Joan's works.

Lisa
Non timebo mala, quoniam tu mecum es.
mysteriousNS
Digging for Gems

Postby Marauder on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:27 pm

Thanks for the updates Lisa. Looking forward to hearing your take on this.

Hmm...I should check my posts before posting. :idea:
Marauder
Digging for Gold

Previous

Return to Other Mysteries