OITS dissolving as a registered society?

The Oak Island Tourism Society discussion forum. Find out about upcoming events, membership and news.

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

Re: OITS dissolving as a registered society?

Postby mutakwe on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:12 pm

Hello,

Well folks I AM a member and I have written every director to plead with them to salvage the Sociey and get back to the table. If you want to know what I think just read what turned up in the paper today. This one is for you John Henderson: :wink:

Members angered, saddened by society shutdown by Adam Jacobs

WESTERN SHORE - Last week's news that the Oak Island Tourism Society is planning to cease its existence took many people by surprise.
The public response has been that of disbelief, anger and sadness.

The society has scheduled a meeting for 2 p.m., December 7 at the Oak Island Resort and Spa at which point the membership will be asked for its input and a decision made.

The news hasn't just had a local effect, however.

For more than 200 years the public has been following, arguably, the most intriguing treasure hunt the world over.

Since it formed in 2001, the society has helped provide the public with an inside look at the search, which is ongoing to this day.

John Henderson lives in New Hampshire.

A former member of the society, he has visited Oak Island every year since 2005.

"And I visited twice that year," he said. "I maintained about 12 memberships for family and friends (from 2004-2006) in those years as well as donated hundreds of dollars and many, many hours of my time helping the society."

He said he even paid for the cost of a portable bush hog to clear the island one year.

"At the time it was a privilege and an honour."

After some difficulty with the society, Mr. Henderson said he chose not to renew his membership, yet he still follows the island exploits closely.

In a letter to society members, communications director Danny Hennigar suggested two major reasons for the decision to dissolve the society.

The first reason is "lack of clear direction from majority landowners and treasure hunters of Oak Island Tours Inc. on whether or not we stand any reasonable chance at fulfilling our full mandate."

The second reason is because "we are unable to secure a fixed date for Explore Oak Island Days each year at a facility we feel fits the character, progress and development of the event which has grown each year."

Mr. Henderson said those aren't reasons enough.

"The society does not have to close its doors given the minor issues of island access or even getting a yearly venue for the event," he said. "Let us not forget the consultant's report which says a mainland interpretive centre would also work, with on island being only more ideal.

"The two main reasons outlined in your membership letter are nothing more than petty and shifting blame. If you cannot get the vision realized, or are no longer interested in John Chataway's vision, then you should step aside and let others try. The Western Shore needs the OITS, just as the OITS needs the Western Shore with both growing through mutual co-operation."

For his part, Mr. Hennigar said in an interview he would be happy to see another group step forward should the society fold.

Mr. Henderson is not alone in his distaste for the society's decision.

Joy Steele, an avid researcher of South Shore history and a member of the society, said she is worried about what will be lost should the society close.

The artifacts held by the society would be transferred to the Chester Municipal Heritage Society, and in all likelihood would be on display in the Village of Chester "instead of keeping them in Western Shore where they most certainly belong," Ms Steele said. "This means that the local community will suffer greatly, for one, by the loss and insult of artifacts being removed out from their very noses.

"Secondly, the economic impact on the community will be very hard felt because the annual Explore Oak Island Days will cease to exist which greatly bolstered economic spending."

Ms Steele is also put off by the society bylaw that doesn't allow members to vote by proxy, through e-mail or registered mail.

"I am a paid member and live six to seven hours drive away and the notice dictates that I am unable to exercise my right to vote by proxy."

Thank you,
Joy
Last edited by mutakwe on Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Never Give Up" - Dan Blankenship
mutakwe
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Rick on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:53 pm

More Bulletin, Letter to editors.

Protect Oak Island society

I am writing because of a situation which has really upset me. I've belonged to the Oak Island Tourism Society in past years and last year I, along with about 25 other applicants, tried to sign up before the annual general meeting and were denied. This was against their own bylaws but one director in particular was, I think, afraid of being voted out. Right after the election they passed a bylaw to make it illegal. But it was an illegal election. Elections are usually held in February.

Now they are planning to hold a meeting on December 7 and dissolve the society when there are people, and very capable people, who want to keep it going. They refuse and are giving all asset and artifacts to the Chester Municipal Heritage Society. This is not right; Chester has lots of tourist attractions and the Western Shore area only really has Oak Island. It is the heritage of that community, not Chester's and should not even be considered.

Oak Island Tours Inc. has been more than good to the society even though they receive nothing from the group. They opened up the island every year they were asked and allowed tours to be run from the society; they even for two years paid the way for students to come from away and speak at explore days.

I hope the people in the area come to the meeting on December 7 at the Oak Island resort at 2 p.m. and speak up for their community.

All we want is to add members to their own board and if they don't want to reoffer, let us try and see what we can do.

RICK LOHNES
-= Friends of Oak Island Society =-
Rick
Future Tour Guide

Postby n4n224ccw on Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:32 pm

I'm glad to see the media coverage.

Joy, good for you to speak out as an OITS member and how the directors have basically said your voice does not count if you can't make it to a meeting.

Talk about a PR nightmare for the OITS, I bet anyone could not have got it more wrong and let this be a lesson on what not to do as a director of a society.
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby JEFF ENGLAND on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:14 am

Save Jo giving me their contact details, they can contact me if they wish. oakisland@mail.com
JEFF ENGLAND
Digging for Coal

Postby n4n224ccw on Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:31 pm

The latest edition of the Chester times is now online with a few items of current interest for this group.

http://www.southshorenow.ca/chestertime ... 09_web.pdf

Readers will see the renovations to Lordly House are underway with no fixed completion date and more fund raising must be done to complete the project.

Reader will also see on page 9

Oak Island mystery
One of Oak Island’s greatest champions is potentially
calling it quits.
The Oak Island Tourism Society (OITS), a non-profit
promotional group, has scheduled a membership vote
for December 7 at 2 p.m. at the Oak Island Resort and
Spa at which time it will decide upon its future.
“This wasn’t an easy decision,” said Danny Hennigar,
the society’s director of communications. “It’s
something we’ve mulled over for a couple of years. We
really don’t want to continue the way we’ve been doing
with just the Explore Oak Island Days.”

Mulled over closing the Society for a couple of years now? Wanted to do more than just Explore Oak Islands Days, really? We know the Oak Island materials will not be on display in the Lordly House at anytime in the near future. I wonder how much renovations the cash part of the OITS assets can pay for?
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Rick on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:18 am

n4n224ccw wrote:I wonder how much renovations the cash part of the OITS assets can pay for?

Too much.
Rick
Future Tour Guide

Postby kitch on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:34 am

If this has been mulled over for a couple of years, why has that not provided enough time to arrange for all members to vote whether in person or by proxy? Surely provision could have been made in that time frame for full member participation?
kitch
Digging for Diamonds

Postby n4n224ccw on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:06 am

kitch wrote:If this has been mulled over for a couple of years, why has that not provided enough time to arrange for all members to vote whether in person or by proxy? Surely provision could have been made in that time frame for full member participation?

You know it! Given such a large proportion of the membership is non-local, proxy voting ought to have been a primary concern and method.

I've said for some time now the OITS wanted folks money and a statistic, nothing else. The directorship appear to want the decision making kept at the local level and have stick handled to ensure this.

When the society was first formed, they attempted to place a 100km radius around Oak Island and to limit membership to that area only. This area of inclusion was counter to the Societies Act, thus it was changed to include ALL of NS; however, it clearly shows the mindset from the very beginning. A little while later, the OITS included in the by-laws a Friends of OITS clause which allowed non Nova Scotians to give money. This was subsequently changed to allow (cough) full membership to everyone, world-wide. One must naturally think the world market would be a tremendous revenue stream; however, with that comes the potential risk for non-locals to vote in/out ideas or god forbid, counter to the local directors.

One easy solution is for AGM to be held in the winter and during the worst month in NS for driving conditions. This even hinders non-local Nova Scotians from participating in a vote. You know very well of how heated a debate came which merely suggested holding an AGM during EOIDS, when most of the membership ought to be reasonably present.

Thanks for pointing this little detail out, it reinforces what I have said in the past, "membership was money and a statistic". We past and present members of the OITS did not enjoy the spirit of a full membership that was in keeping with the Societies Act.

Mulling it over for a couple of years...my gluteus maximus.

n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby FutureProspect784 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:47 pm

Seeing as how some folks on here are dead set against the Oak Island artifacts moving to Chester, might I suggest the Settlers' Museum in Mahone Bay? They had a dandy little display of Oak Island artifacts set up this past summer during EOID '09. It was properly done and up to museum standards, not to mention the whole place was a temperature/humidity controlled environment. Furthermore, the museum is only a 10 minute drive from Oak Island (or five, if you step on it). Or do the residents of Western Shore dislike Mahone Bay as well?
88’s

FP

“I Want YOU.........To Solve The Oak Island Mystery!”

UNCLE SAM
FutureProspect784
Official Tour Guide

Postby Rick on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:47 pm

FP,

Our point is not to close the society.. artifacts to stay with the society.

Rick
Rick
Future Tour Guide

PreviousNext

Return to Oak Island Tourism Society (OITS)