OITS dissolving as a registered society?

The Oak Island Tourism Society discussion forum. Find out about upcoming events, membership and news.

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

Re: OITS dissolving as a registered society?

Postby n4n224ccw on Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:56 pm

Rick and Jo,

The OITS can have a big role to play. While Jo and many others focus on EOIDs, this single yearly event does not define the OITS. Unfortunately, this is what most have come to think of the OITS, except for a few school children.

We cannot forget the charitable permission these landowners have given to the society and the helping hand they provided in other ways, so it really baffles me to read in that email,
“Lack of clear direction from majority land owners and treasure hunters Oak Island Tours Inc. on whether or not we stand any reasonable chance at fulfilling our full mandate”.

The mandate which Danny speaks of is officially known as “The objects of the Society”, which are the following:

A. To construct, operate and maintain a Museum or interpretive Centre concerning the mystery of Oak Island and the treasure hunt on Oak Island.
B. To exhibit or display artifacts and finding concerning the history of Oak Island. To exhibit or display artifacts and findings concerning the mystery of Oak Island and the treasure hunt on Oak Island.
C. To update and explain the history of the Island and searches for treasure, to endeavour to create competent, informed interpretive guides for parts of the island.
D. To conduct research on the history of Oak Island. To conduct research on the artifacts and findings on Oak Island concerning the mystery of Oak Island and the treasure hunt on Oak Island.
E. To acquire by way of grant, gift, purchase, bequest, devices or otherwise, real and personal property and to use and apply such property to the realization of the object of the society.
F. To buy, own, hold, lease, mortgage, sell and convey such real and personal property as may be necessary or desirable in carrying out of the objects of the Society.

The object was amended and put in place via special resolution on 2 June 2004, for the purpose of qualifying for a charitable donation number. With that comes the burden of the society and directors acting in accordance with the Societies Act of NS and Instructions for directors of non-profits as promulgated by the Canadian Revenue Agency.

As any reader can clearly see, landowner support/permission is only required for item C. Even without item C, there are still many other objects of the society to work on.

It has been eight years folks, is there even a small part time interpretive centre on the mainland? No there is not. Would a realistic expectation require landowners to part with a chunk of the island for an interpretive centre, or for the government or some other third party providing the funding to build some world class interpretive centre? No, of course these are not realistic expectations.

As we can all see, EOIDs is merely a tool to satisfy one objective of the society, with many of the other objectives going by the way side or ignored.

Just as the OITS website does not post Oak Island history which contradicts the legend, there is no other possible solution to meet the society’s objectives than those of communication director’s.
One must wonder why Oak Island Tours Inc were mentioned in the email when the OITS were given permission for all EOIDs and even for school tours during the year. I personally think mentioning Oak Island Tours Inc as having some blame is nothing more than a cheap departing shot.

I’m sure Oak Island Tours Inc realize who that came from and filed it accordingly and will not let that have a negative impact on promoting Oak Island in the future.
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Rick on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:04 pm

I'd like to ask Jo a question.

Would you like to see the Society handed over to others who are willing to carry on? After all your forum has benefited from the society, and I'm sure your members would like to know. Normally as an admin you'd remain neutral. However this is not a normal situation.
-= Friends of Oak Island Society =-
Rick
Future Tour Guide

Postby MassMax on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:35 pm

n4n224ccw wrote:A. To construct, operate and maintain a Museum or interpretive Centre concerning the mystery of Oak Island and the treasure hunt on Oak Island.
B. To exhibit or display artifacts and finding concerning the history of Oak Island. To exhibit or display artifacts and findings concerning the mystery of Oak Island and the treasure hunt on Oak Island.
E. To acquire by way of grant, gift, purchase, bequest, devices or otherwise, real and personal property and to use and apply such property to the realization of the object of the society.
F. To buy, own, hold, lease, mortgage, sell and convey such real and personal property as may be necessary or desirable in carrying out of the objects of the Society.

I too would like to see Oak Island artifacts on display year-round, not just during an EOID or similar event. I agree with you, Paul, that making the leap directly to a stand alone interpretive center is not realistic right now. Establishing a small display within an existing museum is a reasonable stepping stone to that ultimate destination. From looking at the Chester Municipal Heritage Society's Website, it looks like they might expand the public hours for the Lordly House Museum in Chester at some point in the near future. While I agree that a location nearer to the island would be more ideal, I don't think that a 15-minute drive would seriously deter visitors. Housing the Oak Island artifacts in an historical museum would put them into context of the area's history, and also allow them to be monitored and protected. So I think the Lordly House could provide a good home for them. With all the many uses the Western Shore & Area Improvement Association building is put to, do you think it could really provide a safe, monitored environment for these objects?
MassMax
Digging for Gems

Postby Jo on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:32 pm

Rick wrote:I'd like to ask Jo a question.

Would you like to see the Society handed over to others who are willing to carry on? After all your forum has benefited from the society, and I'm sure your members would like to know. Normally as an admin you'd remain neutral. However this is not a normal situation.

Rick - this is a good question, and thanks for asking it as it allows me the opportunity to express my opinion on this matter. I'm just about to leave work for the day, but will respond fully this evening.
[b]Website & Forum Manager[/b]
http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk

Keep up to date with the Oak Island treasure hunt by following us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OakIsland
Jo
Site Admin

Postby n4n224ccw on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:15 pm

MassMax wrote:. With all the many uses the Western Shore & Area Improvement Association building is put to, do you think it could really provide a safe, monitored environment for these objects?

The suggestion for a western shore based centre is to show other options are/were available as an alternative to unrealistic demands of an on island centre only. According to the consultant's report, a 15 minute drive is too far out of the way for any such display relating to OI. Danny posting as Tank03 made this very argument a few years back.

While you bring up Western Shore & Area Improvement Association (implying structure), it is just as safe if not safer than Danny's house. I mentioned this group as an entity for custodial charge of the items due to the entity being a Society. If you care to look back through Danny's postings, you can read where he has trashed on this forum the Lordly House and Chester Municipal Heritage Society for not giving OI items a proper place on display, lack of security etc...Kind of makes one wonder.
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Ghost of Oak Island on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:27 pm

Paul
That is an excellent suggestion about the Western Shore and area Improvement Assoc. I was a director for 11 years with them and so was David and still support them. They abid by all the rules and they do have a building with a security alarm .They do so much good for the community from Gold River Bridge ,including Beechill to Martins River Bridge. They also allowed the Oak Island Tourism Society to use there hall for free for a number of years becasue it was a conmmiunty event. Garnette
Ghost of Oak Island
Digging for Diamonds

Postby MassMax on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:18 pm

n4n224ccw wrote:According to the consultant's report, a 15 minute drive is too far out of the way for any such display relating to OI. Danny posting as Tank03 made this very argument a few years back.

While you bring up Western Shore & Area Improvement Association (implying structure), it is just as safe if not safer than Danny's house. I mentioned this group as an entity for custodial charge of the items due to the entity being a Society. If you care to look back through Danny's postings, you can read where he has trashed on this forum the Lordly House and Chester Municipal Heritage Society for not giving OI items a proper place on display, lack of security etc...Kind of makes one wonder.

Hmmm, I've searched through Danny's posts and found no such posts, but that's neither here nor there. So would you recommend creating a display inside the Western Shore & Area Improvement Association facility, or is there a better venue for displaying these items in the short term?
MassMax
Digging for Gems

Postby Jo on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:00 pm

Rick wrote:I'd like to ask Jo a question.

Okay, the folding of the Oak Island Tourism Society is sad for many of us, as it's the very reason many of us met in the first place. Without the Society, our paths would certainly never have otherwise crossed. I'm certain I'd never have found myself hanging out in Portland eating buffalo burgers with friends, riding on the back of a Harley through New England in the Fall or rode the world's biggest tidal bore with a pirate and a priest. Deny it all you like, we all have our own memories of the past eight years which we will think of fondly.

For reasons many of you have been all to happy to bring to the fore, those times are now gone. The Oak Island Tourism Society did an excellent job in establishing a suite of wonderful events based around Oak Island, and it was good of the landowners to likewise allow this to happen.

So, where do we go from here? Rick, you were keen to hear my opinion on whether the Society should somehow be transferred or maintained under the same name. It is my opinion that it should not. The OITS did fantastic work at the time, but things have changed. I don't believe it would be possible for a group to continue under the same name.

Would it not be better to start afresh, with some new ideas, shared beliefs and clear direction - I'd be keen to hear the input of the Chester historical group and what ideas they may have for their new acquisitions.

What would the manifesto of a new group be? What lessons can be learned from the obstacles the OITS came up against? What can we learn from this in terms of objectives, difficulties and also what worked really well?

You know I don't like to mention the man, but take the Keith Ranville debarcle for example. One doesn't have to do much research on Oak Island / OITS / even my name before his name emerges in connection to the diatribe we are now all too familiar with. Would it not be better to walk away from all those bad connotations and move on, that little bit older and wiser?

It's sad that the OITS be disbanded but the Oak Island fan base certainly remains. We have our community on here, plus those on facebook, mailing lists, not to mention the offline devotees - there are plenty of supporters out there. What can we offer them? How can the Chester historical group best serve them and how can we help?

I feel the most important thing now is that we all keep talking. Yes, there are some gritty issues, hurt feelings and plenty of emotion but we are the people who have found one another, come together and all truly care about Oak Island, that's the bottom line.

If the public interest in Oak Island is to continue, lets all say what has to be said, tease out the important issues and then move on. Of course, offer an opinion, share your thoughts but please lets not keep labouring the point. We've heard all about the whos and the whys, but this is an opportunity to work with a new historical group, build on the successes of the OITS and share our love of Oak Island.

Love us, or hate us, we are the Oak Island family and like any family, we won't all see eye to eye all of the time. If we are all on the same page, sharing our focus and agenda, maybe we can move forward and be part of the OITS legacy and be part of something great, like we once were?

So that's my opinion - you asked for it!
[b]Website & Forum Manager[/b]
http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk

Keep up to date with the Oak Island treasure hunt by following us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OakIsland
Jo
Site Admin

Postby MassMax on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:40 pm

Rick wrote:
MassMax wrote:While I am sad to see the society dissolved, I would like to take an opportunity to thank the past and present OITS leadership for their hard work and dedication in expanding the society's rolls and organizing excellent events such as the Explore Oak Island Days. If someone wishes to step in and fill the void left by OITS, they are more than welcome to form their own group and run their own activity.

MM,

You hate to see it dissolved, but why not allow other people to take over and continue with John Chataway dream? No need to dissolve..

Rick

Rick,

Sorry for not responding sooner. I would like to see a group continue the mission of building a full-time Oak Island museum/interpretive center and run an annual event that includes guided tours of the island. The eight directors of OITS, however, seemed resolved in their course of action. So I'm looking past the dissolution meeting on December 7. And if indeed the OITS "brand" has somehow become tainted (I'm not certain I agree with that), perhaps a clean break is best. While founding a new society requires more work than revamping an existing one, many of the issues remain the same:

+ Tackle the issue of putting Oak Island artifacts on permanent display for the public
+ Introduce flexible society by-laws (personally, I would like to see proxy voting allowed and/or holding a society business meeting during an annual summer event, to allow society members from all parts of the world to participate)
+ Leverage the skills, talents, and knowledge of the society membership to the fullest

Regardless of whether OITS continues or a new society is formed, there's still a question of leadership. Leaders need to champion the cause, which requires serious dedication and passion to fuel the work, although it must be tempered by diplomatic handling of people both within and outside the society. It's much tougher on the inside than it looks from the outside. As with any non-profit, all-volunteer organization, the directors are cat herders, constantly trying to nudge fiercely independent and opinionated individuals down a common path. That requires tremendous energy and the ability to cajole, beg, threaten, or scream as the situation warrants. They need to strike a balance between collecting other people's viewpoints and not letting things get bogged down in committee (again, not easy to do). Getting elected to a society post is the simple part - following through on things is much more challenging.

After December 7, the decks are cleared - the past is the past and we're starting fresh. What happens then is the big question.
MassMax
Digging for Gems

Postby Rick on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:34 am

First off thank you Jo for answering my question. I'd like to address some of your answers.

Jo wrote:Okay, the folding of the Oak Island Tourism Society is sad for many of us, as it's the very reason many of us met in the first place. Without the Society, our paths would certainly never have otherwise crossed. I'm certain I'd never have found myself hanging out in Portland eating buffalo burgers with friends, riding on the back of a Harley through New England in the Fall or rode the world's biggest tidal bore with a pirate and a priest. Deny it all you like, we all have our own memories of the past eight years which we will think of fondly.

Yup, most of us met wonderful people. I have personal connection to David and Garnette, John and Paul. And lot more. It was through the OITS a lot of us met. What about the future, how many new friends will we lose?

Jo wrote:So, where do we go from here? Rick, you were keen to hear my opinion on whether the Society should somehow be transferred or maintained under the same name. It is my opinion that it should not. The OITS did fantastic work at the time, but things have changed. I don't believe it would be possible for a group to continue under the same name.

Would it not be better to start afresh, with some new ideas, shared beliefs and clear direction - I'd be keen to hear the input of the Chester historical group and what ideas they may have for their new acquisitions.

What would the manifesto of a new group be? What lessons can be learned from the obstacles the OITS came up against? What can we learn from this in terms of objectives, difficulties and also what worked really well?

You know I don't like to mention the man, but take the Keith Ranville debarcle for example. One doesn't have to do much research on Oak Island / OITS / even my name before his name emerges in connection to the diatribe we are now all too familiar with. Would it not be better to walk away from all those bad connotations and move on, that little bit older and wiser?

It's sad that the OITS be disbanded but the Oak Island fan base certainly remains. We have our community on here, plus those on facebook, mailing lists, not to mention the offline devotees - there are plenty of supporters out there. What can we offer them? How can the Chester historical group best serve them and how can we help?

I feel the most important thing now is that we all keep talking. Yes, there are some gritty issues, hurt feelings and plenty of emotion but we are the people who have found one another, come together and all truly care about Oak Island, that's the bottom line.

If the public interest in Oak Island is to continue, lets all say what has to be said, tease out the important issues and then move on. Of course, offer an opinion, share your thoughts but please lets not keep labouring the point. We've heard all about the whos and the whys, but this is an opportunity to work with a new historical group, build on the successes of the OITS and share our love of Oak Island.

Love us, or hate us, we are the Oak Island family and like any family, we won't all see eye to eye all of the time. If we are all on the same page, sharing our focus and agenda, maybe we can move forward and be part of the OITS legacy and be part of something great, like we once were?

So that's my opinion - you asked for it!

To the point Jo, do you think what Danny is doing out of spite is good for Oak Island? Who ever heard of a society dissolving without first asking if there are others who would like to try to do it. There are election by most societies every year and the name is not changed and if this group didn't want to continue then they should have let others try. Sometimes new blood is a good thing. The Society name doesn't belong to the directors it belongs to the society. How many other societies closed up when there were plenty of people to take it over? I never heard of it.

As for the heritage society it's the artifacts that will be leaving an area where they belong, Chester has lots to bring in the tourism, now they will have all the artifacts which will never come back to this (Western Shore) area, that in my opinion was the work of one person and we all know his name. I am ashamed that he spoke on the behalf of the society. Look how he tried to blame OI Tours when they have been so good to OITS. I think this will hit the media and they should make an announcement that Danny Hennigar does in no way now or ever speak for Oak Island.

I know some of the directors, and I know they read here and should be ashamed at what they are doing. If you directors want out? Get out, I know there are a lot of people would be happy to take your place. Be the people we the OI fans expect you to be, put Mr Hennigar and his idiotic "Special Resolution" to an end. Dec 7th VOTE NO!

And to you Danny Hennigar, I know you'll read this or told to you. You should be ashamed to rip apart John Chatway's dream. You should be ashamed about all the lies. Did you affect me, no not really, I have my true friends. Ones that don't lie to me. I could say a lot more, but I doubt you'd answer my email.

Another thing to remember is the last annual meeting where 25 people wanted to join, going against their own by-laws and refusing the members. He only changed the by-laws to accommodate him in July of this year. That's the problem if Danny can't have the control and be big man then no ones is.

Rick
Last edited by Rick on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-= Friends of Oak Island Society =-
Rick
Future Tour Guide

PreviousNext

Return to Oak Island Tourism Society (OITS)