OITS dissolving as a registered society?

The Oak Island Tourism Society discussion forum. Find out about upcoming events, membership and news.

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

Re: OITS dissolving as a registered society?

Postby FutureProspect784 on Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:17 pm

Rick wrote:Our point is not to close the society.. artifacts to stay with the society.

True enough and I'm not disputing that, but where would they be housed? They can't be stored at the Improvement Center in Western Shore on account of its not being a proper environment. And I know, the artifacts may not have been properly stored up to this point, being in basements and the like, but that doesn't mean that this should be perpetuated. What I would like to know is if there is anywhere else in the Western Shore area that they can be stored aside from the Improvement Center. If there isn't, does such a place exist closer than, say, Chester or Mahone Bay?
88’s

FP

“I Want YOU.........To Solve The Oak Island Mystery!”

UNCLE SAM
FutureProspect784
Official Tour Guide

Postby Rick on Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:05 pm

FP,

The Lordly House is still under construction and the paper said they don't have any idea where the money will come from to finish, so why is it all of a sudden it's so important. You work at a museum can't you buy climate control boxes to store things in? As far as I am concerned it was never an issue until they wanted to dissolve the society. Although, I will agree with you it is important. As for the Western Shore and Area it is heated up stairs and down the same as Danny house plus they have an alarm system. What's wrong with asking Dan B to store the items, he also has a heat in his basement, I checked. Maybe the director should have bought something with the money they raised over the years to protect it. Why is everyone going off with storage when It's the dissolving of the Society that is the issue?
-= Friends of Oak Island Society =-
Rick
Future Tour Guide

Postby kitch on Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:30 pm

Why is proxy voting not allowed? I don't understand why members are not allowed this right by membership? I have been involved in several historical organisations and proxy votes have been held on several occassions.

I just don't understand the mechanism here, and there is certainly time to allow for proxy. If I was a member and not allowed to vote, I can assure you if the society choses to stay extent, I would not renew since it would mean in effect I would be considered a lesser member.
kitch
Digging for Diamonds

Postby FutureProspect784 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:43 am

Rick,

Why is everyone going off with storage when It's the dissolving of the Society that is the issue?

The way I see it, one of two things is going to happen come Monday's meeting: either the society will dissolve (and a new one will take its place), or new people will simply take it over. Whatever the outcome (and those two scenarios are merely predictions on my part), those artifacts are going to be on the move, and need to be properly cared for. Maybe it's just the museum geek in me, but I consider the future of the artifacts to be equal importance to that of the society. After all, when/if Oak Island gets its interpretive center, it's going to require artifacts to display for the masses, and thus they need to be in the best condition possible.
88’s

FP

“I Want YOU.........To Solve The Oak Island Mystery!”

UNCLE SAM
FutureProspect784
Official Tour Guide

Postby Dave Wood on Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:44 pm

All,
The only gripe I have regarding all of this, being an overseas member of the OITS,is not being allowed to vote on a motion that involves the closing down of the Society that I'm a member of.Whatever personal vendettas by various people are that started all of this is none of my business,but this issue taking place on the 7th. is.If I and others aren't allowed to vote,then why accept overseas membership in the first place.I have nothing against Danny,but I don't agree that the directors have the sole right to dissolve the Society without a full vote from it's members,no matter what I've been told,or for whatever reasons.

Dave
(OITS)
Dave Wood
Digging for Diamonds

Postby D'Arcy on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:38 pm

Dave Wood wrote:All,
The only gripe I have regarding all of this, being an overseas member of the OITS,is not being allowed to vote on a motion that involves the closing down of the Society that I'm a member of.Whatever personal vendettas by various people are that started all of this is none of my business,but this issue taking place on the 7th. is.If I and others aren't allowed to vote,then why accept overseas membership in the first place.I have nothing against Danny,but I don't agree that the directors have the sole right to dissolve the Society without a full vote from it's members,no matter what I've been told,or for whatever reasons.

Dave
(OITS)

Dave:

Although I am not an "overseas" member, I'm still 1400 kilometers away from where the voting will take place on Monday. I agree with you that voting by proxy on the resolution by current OITS card-carrying members (as opposed to those "last-minute wannabe members") should be permitted. Unfortunately, like you, I too shall have no opportunity to hear the arguments by both sides of the legitimately-registered OITS members; nor will I be able to cast a vote for or against the directors' resolution to disolve the organization.

D'Arcy
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby Bonnie on Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:28 am

I hope what ever the outcome tomorrow it does not upset too many people for short term.
Bonnie
Future Tour Guide

Postby n4n224ccw on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:58 am

D'Arcy wrote:
Dave:

Although I am not an "overseas" member, I'm still 1400 kilometers away from where the voting will take place on Monday. I agree with you that voting by proxy on the resolution by current OITS card-carrying members (as opposed to those "last-minute wannabe members") should be permitted. Unfortunately, like you, I too shall have no opportunity to hear the arguments by both sides of the legitimately-registered OITS members; nor will I be able to cast a vote for or against the directors' resolution to disolve the organization.

D'Arcy

Unfortunately for the directors, anyone with a membership and who attends the meeting can vote. The arbitrary cut-off date at the end of Sept is contrary to the Societies Act of Nova Scotia. Para 15(2)(B) states "every member of a society shall have a vote;"

Notice the word shall?

http://www.gov.ns.ca/legislature/legc/s ... cietie.htm

The money and a vote of a person joining at the last-minute is just as good as yours D'Arcy. I know you seem to have issue with that, but that's the way it goes. If you don't like those types of rules as set forth by the NS Government, then perhaps you should scrutinize such rules prior to joining societies registered in NS.

We just might catch it on video tomorrow of Danny refusing membership applications of Nova Scotians who want to join. Now that would be against the law.
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby JEFF ENGLAND on Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:04 am

I would just like to say. a brand new radar system that can locate the terminals from the surface is currently available. I am currently assessing this and it looks really good. And it is available to Daniel Blankenship at no $$$$$.
JEFF ENGLAND
Digging for Coal

Postby Rick on Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:18 am

JEFF ENGLAND wrote:I would just like to say. a brand new radar system that can locate the terminals from the surface is currently available. I am currently assessing this and it looks really good. And it is available to Daniel Blankenship at no $$$$$.

No $$$, you speak my language Jeff!
-= Friends of Oak Island Society =-
Rick
Future Tour Guide

PreviousNext

Return to Oak Island Tourism Society (OITS)