OITS dissolving as a registered society?

The Oak Island Tourism Society discussion forum. Find out about upcoming events, membership and news.

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

OITS dissolving as a registered society?

Postby n4n224ccw on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:02 am

Can anyone confirm the Oak Island Tourism Society is holding a special meeting on 7 Dec 09 for the purpose of dissolving the society?

When dissolving a Society in Nova Scotia, all assets must be transferred to another registered (in Nova Scotia) society . That mean no member can personally keep a single item which belongs to the society.

From what I understand, the plan is to transfer the assets to the Chester Heritage Society. I figured the OITS directors would rather have the assets more local and belong to the folks of western shore, such as transferring them to the Western Shore and Area Improvement Association (a not for profit registered society) which hosted the OITS free of charge for many of the EOIDs.

Odd this bit of information has not been published on the OITS website. Any OITS members get an email on this?

I'm sure the true supports of OITS do not want to see the society close and would rather only see a change in one or two directors after the next AGM.

cheers
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Re: OITS dissolving as a registered society?

Postby D'Arcy on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:54 am

n4n224ccw wrote:Any OITS members get an email on this?

Yeah, all of we members did. Seems you were out of the loop, Paul.
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby n4n224ccw on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:22 am

Thanks for confirmation D'Arcy.

From the email....

"The reasons for such a dramatic move are many but I will offer two of
the more important ones here for your understanding in no particular
order.

- Lack of clear direction from majority land owners and treasure hunters
Oak Island Tours Inc. on whether or not we stand any reasonable chance
at fulfilling our full mandate.

- We are unable to secure a fixed date for Explore Oak Island Days each
year at a facility we feel fits the character, progress and development
of the event which has grown each year."

First, even if the OITS was to get landowner permission, the OITS does not have funds to build such a centre and it is highly unlikely the government would be willing to pay for it. This excuse is nothing but smoke and mirrors and a childish jab at Oak Island Tours Inc. Remember folks, the consultant said a mainland interpretive centre would also work!

The second excuse is pretty funny.

Dissolving of the society is not needed, as I'm sure there are many new and former members of the society who would show up at the next AGM and vote in new directors that would enjoy meeting the above challenges....oh wait a minute, that is the whole reason for dissolving the society because one certain person would not have a director’s position after the next AGM. Rather than face the embarrassment of being voted out, he would rather just give the whole ball away.
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Vincent on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:06 pm

n4n224ccw wrote:The second excuse is pretty funny.

As a mature adult with a conscience who is lacking in the spiteful and bitter and twisted department I fail to see the humour in this.
Quick pass me a spade! I`ve had another idea.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Postby Rick on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:20 pm

n4n224ccw wrote:Dissolving of the society is not needed, as I'm sure there are many new and former members of the society who would show up at the next AGM and vote in new directors that would enjoy meeting the above challenges.

I have to agree with Paul, there would be new and old members interested in keeping the OITS alive.
-= Friends of Oak Island Society =-
Rick
Future Tour Guide

Postby n4n224ccw on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:34 pm

Vincent,

This sounds like your buddy has been told to p**s off by the locals and would rather cast blame for failure onto others.

“We are unable to secure a fixed date for Explore Oak Island Days each year at a facility we feel fits the character....”

I think this to mean he cannot get the most lucrative time slot during the resort’s most profitable time period. Unfortunately EOIDs does not make enough money; therefore, OITS does not have the weight or pull to demand such requests. There is nothing wrong with picking another time slot and to work in cooperation with those of the local community; however as we’ve all come to see over the past few years, flexibility and cooperation by the directorship is not their strong suite.

You may recall, the consultant’s report also said a mainland interpretive centre would work, but an island centre would be better. A blinded fixation for an on island interpretive centre has unfortunately clouded over any possibility to do anything else. A year round interpretive centre on the west shore could have been established by now and it would not have need millions of dollars of government money to do. This funding will never come by the way. We can read in the first excuse

In summary, it sounds to me that if the current directors cannot impose their will and get ‘only their way’ solutions, then rather than step aside and letting someone else realize John Chataway’s dream, they would rather just give it all away.

That isn’t only taking your ball home, it is throwing the ball away.

n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Jo on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:56 pm

This is an emotive subject for many people. Please can we keep try and keep this thread on topic, rather than talk semantics? There is much to discuss, and picking at each others' posts is not constructive. Lets hope an interesting discussion can emerge on the subject of public access, tourism and Oak Island without the need for personal slights and attacks. That holds no place here.

Call this damage limitation.
[b]Website & Forum Manager[/b]
http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk

Keep up to date with the Oak Island treasure hunt by following us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OakIsland
Jo
Site Admin

Postby badinfluence63 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:03 pm

Jo wrote:This is an emotive subject for many people. Please can we keep try and keep this thread on topic, rather than talk semantics? There is much to discuss, and picking at each others' posts is not constructive. Lets hope an interesting discussion can emerge on the subject of public access, tourism and Oak Island without the need for personal slights and attacks. That holds no place here.

Call this damage limitation.

In what regards doth thou speaketh?

Hennigar? Vincent?
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby Jo on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:18 pm

In what regards doth thou speaketh?

Hennigar? Vincent?

Anyone reading this.

I request that people stick to the topic in hand, rather than picking on one another. I'm just anticipating trouble. If you take issue with an individual, please take it up with them, not publically as it's not constructive or useful. Let's talk about the issue of Oak Island, not one anothers' short comings.

Keep up to date with the Oak Island treasure hunt by following us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OakIsland
Jo
Site Admin

Postby Jo on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:38 pm

I understand it was a unanimous decision of ALL directors that the Society close.

Jo
Site Admin

Next

Return to Oak Island Tourism Society (OITS)