SHAG HARBOUR LIVES

The Oak Island Tourism Society discussion forum. Find out about upcoming events, membership and news.

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

SHAG HARBOUR LIVES

Postby D'Arcy on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:37 pm

No, Jo - Shag Harbour is not a Nova Scotia seaside fornicatorium.

Following EOID '09, Miranda and I visited friends in La Have for a couple of days, and then on Tuesday meandered along the Lighthouse Route to Yarmouth to catch the Tuesday afternoon CAT ferry to Bar Harbor, Maine. En route we passed throught the village of Shag Harbour and came across the site where a huge UFO with flashing lights supposedly fell into the water on the night of October 4, 1967, and was observed by dozens of residents. The village even has a tiny UFO museum run by a very pleasant woman who spoke in that delightful Acadian French accent common in the area. She has several (now elderly) fishermen friends who had witnessed the crash and who had raced out on their lobster boats, along with the local Coast Guard, to observe the yellowish pulsating glow from beneath the water where the craft had either landed or crashed, and sank about a half mile offshore.

I had read about the event in various UFO books years ago, but had no idea where it was in Nova Scotia. So for all of you UFOlogists who tune into this site, here's one Oak Island nutsoid confirming to you UFO nutsoids that there are even weirder mysteries than the Money Pit to be found on the South Shore of Nova Scotia.
Last edited by D'Arcy on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Re: SHAG HARBOUR LIVES

Postby mutakwe on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:05 pm

Hi,

Yes I have heard of this and in fact have talked to an RCMP who was called to the scene. He said there was a weird scum layer on the water where the craft was sighted and a segment of this had been aired on "Mystery Hunters".

Joy
"Never Give Up" - Dan Blankenship
mutakwe
Digging for Diamonds

Postby MassMax on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:11 pm

Damn, I wish I was aware of this story before now. I drove the Lighthouse Route from Lunenburg to Yarmouth Monday morning/afternoon and had time to stop if I had only known. I guess I'll have to drop the idea of visiting the UFO museum in my "Next Time" folder and save it for a future EOID trip. Thanks for the tip, D'Arcy.

Warren
MassMax
Digging for Gems

Postby Jo on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:43 pm

At the get together we had at The Henry House in Halifax, Graham Simms (who was involved in some filming with Red Star Films on Oak Island in 2007) was telling me about a book he is near to completing on the Shag Harbour mystery. I love a good UFO story and can't wait to read this when it's eventually published.
[b]Website & Forum Manager[/b]
http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk

Keep up to date with the Oak Island treasure hunt by following us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OakIsland
Jo
Site Admin

Postby D'Arcy on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:49 pm

Hey Warren:

Make sure to check it out on your way to or from EOID'10. Shag Harbour is about an hour east of Yarmouth on the Lighthouse Route.

How was your Cat ride on Monday? Ours on Tuesday was nice and flat, though foggy at times. Some days it can be a real barforama experience.

By the way, next time I'm throwing a party in Montreal I'm hiring you to do the decorating. What you did to the Rum Room was truly spectacular!

Cheers, D'Arcy
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby Jo on Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:45 pm

Speaking of journeys home, we were sat in the bar at Halifax Airport getting rid of our Canadian dollars before flying home, and look at what I spotted on the wall:

It's the famous map by Joe Nickell, as featured in his Skeptical Enquirer article. Wonder if he knows its found a home in a drinking hole?
[b]Website & Forum Manager[/b]
http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk

Keep up to date with the Oak Island treasure hunt by following us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OakIsland
Jo
Site Admin

Postby MassMax on Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:40 pm

D'Arcy wrote:How was your Cat ride on Monday? Ours on Tuesday was nice and flat, though foggy at times. Some days it can be a real barforama experience.

Glad to hear you and Miranda had a smooth ride - I know she was concerned beforehand. As Steve and Terry Sora can attest, Monday's ride was much, much rougher. We experienced 5-6ft swells that really slammed into the twin hulls and the Sora's car, which was located near the aft opening, was coated in saltwater by the time we arrived in Bar Harbor. Luckily, the ride smoothed out after a while but the captain slowed down due to the conditions and the crossing took nearly four hours. It wasn't quite a "kiss the ground when you arrive" situation, but close.

D'Arcy wrote:By the way, next time I'm throwing a party in Montreal I'm hiring you to do the decorating. What you did to the Rum Room was truly spectacular!

Thanks, man. Not bad decorating for a straight, single guy, eh? :)

Cheers,

Warren
MassMax
Digging for Gems

Return to Oak Island Tourism Society (OITS)