The Oak Island souvenir thread

Essential travel advice, accommodation recommendations, site seeing, Nova Scotia tourism, top tips and places to visit

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

Re: The Oak Island souvenir thread

Postby Jo on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi Joy - thanks for sharing this with us.

I think the painting is done in oils, not water colour. You can tell by the texture of the brush strokes.

Do you know for certain that it is Oak Island? It could just be a typical Nova Scotian scene. I'd love to hear a little more about the story behind the painting.
[b]Website & Forum Manager[/b]
http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk

Keep up to date with the Oak Island treasure hunt by following us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OakIsland
Jo
Site Admin

Postby mutakwe on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Hi Jo!

I think you are right, it looks like an oil painting rather than watercolour.

Kaye seemed so positive it was of Oak Island, but I will now call on the resident expert, (and painter), Ghost of Oak Island to tell us if this is on the island for sure.

So if you are seeing this Garnette, can you please lend your opinion?

Thanks so much,
J.
"Never Give Up" - Dan Blankenship
mutakwe
Digging for Diamonds

Postby mutakwe on Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi again,

I reached Garnette and she believes it is a picture from the area of the underground wharf....neat!

Joy
mutakwe
Digging for Diamonds

Postby D'Arcy on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:00 pm

That painting (which was definitely done in oils) bears little resemblance to Oak Island from any perspective that I can see. If it is of OI, the painter obviously employed a lot of "artistic license" for the background. Nevertheless, it is a nice painting.
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby mutakwe on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:07 pm

Hello D,

Au contraire, I can see quite a resemblance. Go back on this very thread and look at the postcard I put on entitled,
"Oak Island, Chester Basin - Where Captain Kidd's Buried His Gold" and take note of the spit of land which lies adjacent and to the right of Plum Island. If you were now to align and orientate yourself with the next inlet/cove over, it matches (in my opinion), exactly. Additionally, the stretch of mainland is in the far background in both. But Kaye told me sure it was Oak Island, so that is what I believe anyway.

This was probably done a long time ago, (which is why I would love to date it), and we must remember the land form will look different, just as the postcard looks different to me.
Joy
mutakwe
Digging for Diamonds

Previous

Return to Visiting the area