Pirate Latitudes

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here first. Where are you from?
How did you hear about Oak Island?

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

Pirate Latitudes

Postby Cowtown Pattie on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:52 am

Anyone read the posthumous "Pirate Latitudes" by Michael Crichton? I know it has gotten some ho hum reviews, but I would rather hear them from me own mateys' lips!
Cowtown Pattie, Who Knows How The West Was Won!
Cowtown Pattie
Digging for Gems

Re: Pirate Latitudes

Postby Procutus on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:30 pm

Cowtown Pattie wrote:
Anyone read the posthumous "Pirate Latitudes" by Michael Crichton? I know it has gotten some ho hum reviews, but I would rather hear them from me own mateys' lips!

CTP;

Yeah, I checked this novel out of the library about a week ago and began reading it, but for some reason it just didn't grab me the way I had hoped it would. Perhaps its because I had just finished Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol which I found to be quite enjoyable and fast-paced, or maybe I just couldn't relate to the characters. I realize I should give it a second chance, but with so many other titles on my shelf I haven't looked at yet, I think I'll just pass on this one.

Hope that helps a bit.

kind regards,

Procutus
"Nothing happens unless first we dream."
- Carl Sandburg
Procutus
Future Tour Guide

Postby Cowtown Pattie on Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:17 pm

Thanks, Procutus, I believe I read that Crichton had this sitting on his computer and it was published posthumously by family - probably hoping for the last turnip drop...
Cowtown Pattie
Digging for Gems

Postby Procutus on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:21 am

Cowtown;

Now that I think about it, I think the ONLY thing I ever actually read by Crichton was The Andromeda Strain, well over 30 years ago, too long ago to recall if I really enjoyed it or not.

I think you're most likely correct about MC's estate attempting to wring a few more dollars from his name. Which is a shame.

Now I've got to go figure out what unread novel in my collection I'm going to read next.

:lol:

regards,

Procutus
"Nothing happens unless first we dream."
- Carl Sandburg
Procutus
Future Tour Guide

Postby Cowtown Pattie on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:22 am

I just finished watching the new Tom Hank's HBO special, "Pacific". Don't know yet if it will be as good as Band of Brothers, but I've quickly discovered this series will be based on the memoirs of Eugene Sledge - "With the Old Breed". I read that book about two years ago, but I probably could use a reread while watching "Pacific".

Myself - I am reading "Edgar Sawtelle" right now.
Cowtown Pattie
Digging for Gems

Postby Jo on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:16 am

I am reading Edgar Sawtelle too, and thoroughly enjoying it. I picked it up when I was in the States last year and have only just got round to reading it. I sense I may have it tugging at my heart strings before too long, but it's a fabulous book which I'd recommend.
[b]Website & Forum Manager[/b]
http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk

Keep up to date with the Oak Island treasure hunt by following us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OakIsland
Jo
Site Admin

Postby Cowtown Pattie on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:58 pm

Dogs and young boy stories always are a tearjerker: Ol Yeller, and Where the Red Fern Grows...and now Edgar Sawtelle.
Cowtown Pattie
Digging for Gems

Postby divemedic on Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:24 pm

I read pirate latitudes a couple weeks ago and I enjoyed it. it was a quick easy read, which was good as I read a strign of difficult read's. I liked how MC used real life pirates before they became famous. I read Jurrasic Park and The Lost World by MC. right now I'm gearing up for baseball season by readin Joe Dimaggio: A Hero's Life.
Flies spread disease, keep your's up!
divemedic
Digging for Diamonds

Return to Welcome to Oak Island Treasure