New Members

New to the forum? Please introduce yourself here first. Where are you from?
How did you hear about Oak Island?

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

Re: New Members

Postby FutureProspect784 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:47 am

Hi Gray,

Welcome to the forum, it's great to have you onboard! I have no theory that I subscribe to myself, but like you, I wouldn't mind a Templar connection.

:)
88’s

FP

“I Want YOU.........To Solve The Oak Island Mystery!”

UNCLE SAM
FutureProspect784
Official Tour Guide

Postby KnightWriter on Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:38 pm

Hey there Vincent...Thank you for your message....
Cor Blimey, yers mate...but believe it or not Ive been to Farnborough for the Air Show...had a wonderful time there. Yes, like yours, my thoughts keep evolving too but thank goodness for the Internet. And its weird what you get into as a bi -product of something else, isnt it? For example, purportedly coconut matting and aloe were found in the shaft..which in turn leads to ...well where would they get that...and up pops the Madeira Islands for Aloe..and seven species of palm trees as it relates to coconuts..one of which could be found at Alexandria...sort of lends credence to the Templar trading theme. Another question is who had the capability of engineering such a shaft and with a booby trap and up pops the tunnels at Hertford in the UK...and the mystery there unfolds. Then theres the skull and crossbones on Templar graves and Templars turned pirates....Bull Unigenitus, Ad abolendum, Malleus Malifilarium and Ad nauseum...the research never ends..But that's what makes its interesting..enough to keep me hanging "in there" I'm lovin' the site Vincent altho I seem to have fallen behind with correspondence already. Ive walked OI a couple of times..or at least the Causeway..but its now barricaded with trespassing signs etc....interesting too that they are using side scan sonar now off shore. Hope we can keep a dialogue going...have you visited the Templar sites over there..Roslyn...etc? Whats your current take on OI? Have a grayt weekend.
Cheers!
Gray
KnightWriter
Digging for Clams

Postby Rocketman on Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:14 am

Hello all,

I'll introduce myself with a bit of explanation, as requested.

First let me say that I have been following this site for almost a year now, and quality of content, administration, information and dialogue is really commendable. Much better than most sites, so, kudos to all!

I have exchanged a few e-mails with Jo in recent months, and after writing a lengthy message last evening I decided to finally register and offer a bit of information that some may find interesting or useful. My name is Ed White, and I live with my family in Florida. In 1965 my Dad rescued Andrew Demont on the day that four good men died on Oak Island. Age 16 at the time, I was first in line holding the rope as my Dad descended into the pit, so I saw it all...climbing down, tying a clove hitch on Andy before we hauled him up, reaching in the water for the others for a few more seconds before he had to come up, and then, amazingly, clambering all the way out under his own power (which was considerable, BTW).

Last night I read with great interest the numerous posts in the "Restal Tragedy" section and thereafter decided to dig out our family archive of information, news clippings, personal documents, etc., from the event. I sat up 'way too late reading it all, and then decided I should post some of what I believe are facts from that sad day, based on my Dad's own handwritten account of the experience and my own recollections as well. I know memories decay and fool us over time, but that day was vivid and I think my recollections should be, say, 80 to 90% accurate. During this weekend I will get a start at posting some information in the "Restal Tragedy" section. If anyone is interested, I'll try to dig a little deeper to answer questions (if possible). I do have a theory about the "poison gas" in the shaft, but is no more than a theory. I'll present that and ask for comments.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here, and I want to express my appreciation to Jo and the other administrators of this website. I also send the regards of our family to D'Arcy O'Connor(the only written correspondence I can find was from 1987, to my Mom, Audrey Dotterbock [2nd marriage, Dad died in 1972]), and especially to Floyd and Mrs. Matthews. Mr. Matthews, if you follow this site we would love to hear from you!

regards,
Ed White (Jr.)
Rocketman
Rocketman
Digging for Clams

Postby badinfluence63 on Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:48 am

Hello Mr. White, welcome and thanks so much for chiming in with your personal experience. Anything you can remember and be generous enough to share will be very appreciated by everyone without fail. Thanks again.
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby Jo on Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:54 am

Hi Ed,

Great to see you on here, and thank you for the most generous compliments. We're glad to have you here and I for one can't wait to read about your unique story.

Jo
[b]Website & Forum Manager[/b]
http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk

Keep up to date with the Oak Island treasure hunt by following us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OakIsland
Jo
Site Admin

Postby FutureProspect784 on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:58 am

Welcome to the forum Rocketman! Ditto what Jo and Bad have posted.
88’s

FP

“I Want YOU.........To Solve The Oak Island Mystery!”

UNCLE SAM
FutureProspect784
Official Tour Guide

Postby D'Arcy on Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:15 pm

Hi Ed:

Great to see you on this Forum.

My first question is: Did you ever find that 25 seconds of Super-8 movie footage that your mother told me she shot of your father as he was emerging from the pit? Audrey very kindly searched for it for me back in 1987, but was unable to lay her hands on it. She did send me a typed copy of your dad's essay about that tragic day, but so far I've been unable to find it in my OI files. I'm happy to hear that you have the original hand-written one.

Cheers, D'Arcy
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby Rocketman on Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:10 pm

Hello D'Arcy,

Great to make contact with you again as well! I'll get looking for the film. One of my brothers may have it. Back then we used a Kodak Super 8 movie camera. The films are so fragile I wouldn't dare try to even open it before taking to an expert for conversion to digital.

I have a box of misc. documents from the time, lots of newspaper clippings, a few personal letters, the 1967 TRUE Magazine issue with the Oak Island article, etc.

As for the essay, I have the thank-you letter you sent to Mom in 1987. Jo found the essay in your documents, scanned it and e-mailed it to me at 4:ooAM today...how about THAT!?

Regards,
Ed
Rocketman
Rocketman
Digging for Clams

Postby D'Arcy on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:27 pm

Hi Ed:

I suspected that I may have inserted my 1987 typed copy of your dad's essay into the Restall file (which Jo now has). I'm happy to learn that I hadn't lost it. I'm even happier to know that you have your dad's original hand-written account; something that is a valuable historical document pertaining to the events of August 17, 1965.

D'Arcy
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby admiralbenbow on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:48 am

Ed welcome to the forum. We look forward to you incite! Cheers!
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Kyle Wagner
"Pieces of eight! pieces of eight! pieces of eight!"
admiralbenbow
Digging for Gems

PreviousNext

Return to Welcome to Oak Island Treasure