Help with the flat "Cipher" stone

Forum members who wish to participate in the research of Oak Island related topics

Moderators: Jo, RRD2

Help with the flat "Cipher" stone

Postby RRD2 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:01 pm

Can anyone in the NS area tell us how many museums are located in the Halifax area? I have a lead to follow from & about the individual that placed the stone in his fireplace...(believe it or not! :D ). I would like to have a general idea of just how many museums are there, of all types, especially in Halifax.

After we work this part out, I have a research project that will require some time to determine additional information, which we can discuss later once the scope of the study takes shape.

I also would like to determine if there are methods, from the forensic area of expertise, that could be used to raise the symbols on stone - essentially similar to what forensics can do to weapons that have had serial numbers filed off, to make these numbers discernable again. I believe that it is a chemical process and considering what type of stone we are anticipating, the methods may not be applicable, but possibly something similar in the lab can be done to enhance what is now perceived to be essentially smooth.

Thanks and I look forward to a few replies!
Robert
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Re: Help with the flat "Cipher" stone

Postby D'Arcy on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi Robert:

If you go to this site http://museum.gov.ns.ca/en/home/ourmuse ... nsmap.aspx you'll see there are 27 museums (of all types) in Nova Scotia, with a handful of them in the Halifax/Dartmouth area.

Happy hunting,

D'Arcy
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby FutureProspect784 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:29 am

Robert,

I also would like to determine if there are methods, from the forensic area of expertise, that could be used to raise the symbols on stone - essentially similar to what forensics can do to weapons that have had serial numbers filed off, to make these numbers discernable again.

I may have something for you to try, as I recall reading about something like this in a book at one point - the only problem is that I have know idea where I put it, and it wasn't yesterday that I was reading it, either. I'll take a look for it, but in the meantime, you could try Googling "epigraphy" (the study of writing on stone) as this is the area one gets into when dealing with the inscribed stone.
88’s

FP

“I Want YOU.........To Solve The Oak Island Mystery!”

UNCLE SAM
FutureProspect784
Official Tour Guide

Postby RRD2 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:45 am

Thanks, D'Arcy and FP784!

I have an original 1965 letter from Mrs. Smith regarding the stone, which was in the home of her (great?) uncle, John Smith. She wrote this letter to us at the age of 82 and recalls her mother and uncle talking at various times about the stone while it was in the front of the fireplace. She understood where it came from and the circumstances surrounding its discovery and apparent importance. At that time, she was aware that the stone was removed from her uncle's fireplace, but did not confirm the whereabouts of the stone after it was removed. What she does remember, however with great certainty is that a short blurb appeared in "the Halifax newspaper" stating that the stone was crated up and sent to a museum in Halifax for storage. She affirmed that as of December, 1965, this would be the final and current resting place for the stone. I am hoping that a records department can be accessed for the main newpaper and the short passage can be found from the newspaper archives. Hopefully it names the museum directly, but the letter leads me to believe that this was, in the 1920's the main museum for the city of Halifax. Someone living in the area might also contact this museum directly and determine of records exist showing that the stone was received and remains there today.

I am asking for assistance from anyone willing to spend a few hours sorting through fiche records or making a few telephone calls right in or near Halifax to see where this information leads. The letter is authentic and is quite descriptive with regard to activities on the island while John Smith was alive and her mother and she lived in Chester. As a teenageer in the early 1900's, she notes that her mother was able to recall events that took place on the island in earlier times. She states that prior to the stone being recovered from the pit, two men, not of the area and able to speak in a foreign language when necessary, dug deep enough in the MP to the top of a small chest, which could not be retrieved.

They employed an auger, which was used to bore through a section of wood and coins, which were brought up by the drilling in pieces. Local men that were hired to work in the pit were sent to dinner and when the laborers returned, the pit was filling with water and the stone was recovered shortly thereafter. The two "foreigners" were gone, having sailed while the local labor were sent away. It was believed that they may have been able to recover this chest and having found what they wanted, left the island. It is not clear whether these two created the stone and left it, or if it lay undisturbed under this chest that was bored into. Much of this is heresay, of course and we all know how fact can become embellished with the passage of time and the story is completely changed.

As for the story about the stone in her uncle's fireplace, we know that much to be probably true and she is certain that a story appeared in the local paper with regard to the stone and a museum. If anyone has the chance to follow up on a few leads, I believe that we may be able to locate the stone, at the very least perhaps find out if it has been in storage all these years. I did not discover this letter until about a week ago, along with a number of other truly amazing things that I hope to be able to share.

Thanks in advance to all,
Robert
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby n4n224ccw on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:22 am

Robert,

Parts of the story told to Mrs Smith can be substantiated in ‘Rambles Among the Blue Noses’, Andrew Spedon 1862. J.B McCully told Spedon the information for his Oak Island segment. Part of this information was that a large workforce of Dutch workers was employed. He goes on to say that material having the appearance of scalps was found which spooked these workers.

The Public Archives of NS and Acadia University's Vaughan Library, have near complete collection of all newspapers printed in NS. You must understand that at any given time back then, there were perhaps 30 newspapers in Halifax alone.

If the stone was donated to a museum, it is not a matter of today's museums, but what museums existed back then.

There is a method for 'raising' the characters if iron atoms were transferred from a tool to the stone during the process of making the characters.

Just a quick link on it,

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8800217/

Enjoy.
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Return to Oak Island Research Group