Smith's Cove Exploration and Discoveries 1970

Forum members who wish to participate in the research of Oak Island related topics

Moderators: Jo, RRD2

Re: Smith's Cove Exploration and Discoveries 1970

Postby RRD2 on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:21 am

We're happy as fish, gorgeous as geese and wonderfully clean in the morning! :D
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Jo on Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:00 pm

Here's the latest offering from our good old friend RRD2 - thanks Robert!

The first is a photo of Dunfield travelling in the bucket deep into the earth, and the second is of Dunfield's wife and father. RRD2 mentioned how much his mother disliked heights, which I think is evident in this image!

Thanks for sharing these with us Robert :)

[b]Website & Forum Manager[/b]
http://www.oakislandtreasure.co.uk

Keep up to date with the Oak Island treasure hunt by following us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OakIsland
Jo
Site Admin

Postby D'Arcy on Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:47 pm

Hi Robert:

Thanks for the photos (and Jo for posting them).

In the first photo, is that the trench that was dug from the South Shore Cove to the MP? And is that Dan Blankenship (in the hard hat) standing beside your dad?

Cheers and Happy New Year,

D'Arcy
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby RRD2 on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:52 am

You are spot on, as usual, D'Arcy!

If there is ANYONE that knows OI, our friend Danny included, it would be hard to beat you, D'Arcy!

When is the next book due...... :D

Happy and healthful New Year to all.....!!! :D

I have to add that my grandfather was Canadian and came to Colorado from Ontario, Canada on horseback when he was in his teens. He was in the sand and gravel business, hence his expertise with heavy machinery. There be Canadian blood in me veins! My mother was a wonderful and a very beautiful woman. I miss her greatly.

P.S> my one line post a way back is a quote from Genesis....(the band, not the Good Book...)

Your friend in treasure hunting, Robert
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Jo on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:27 pm

As if by magic, sitting in my Inbox this morning were some more photos from Robert - thank you! Here's the next collection of images, many of which I'd never seen before.

Photo courtesy of Robert Dunfield II. Diagram of, well, it's pretty self explanatory!

Photo courtesy of Robert Dunfield II & Danny Hennigar. Robert Dunfield is talking with Marshall Hiltz at the head of the causeway. Marshall and Robert Dunfield Jnr spent a lot of time together, who Robert describes as "a kind and gentle man". They hunted for scallops in Mahone Bay, whittled small boats and spoke of buried treasure.

Photo courtesy of Robert Dunfield II. This photo shows a group of people on Oak Island. From left to right, construction worker, Robert Dunfield Jnr, Mr Stackhouse (Banker), Robert Dunfield, and Gordon Coles, attorney.

Photo courtesy of Robert Dunfield II. Photo of Mrs Dunfield on the Caterpillar with Earl, the man that actually built the causeway to the island.

Photo courtesy of Robert Dunfield II. This is the second piece of china recovered which was sent to Oxford University for dating. This was recovered from the Money Pit at the deepest level reached.

Photo courtesy of Robert Dunfield II. This photo shows the causeway about half way finished. Robert Dunfield Jnr explains "If this was proposed in 2010, it never would have been built due to environmental concerns. People need to understand that the times were different in 1965. Ideas and projects were looked at in a far different light and many things were acceptable, whereas now we are cautious and have different rules. Simply stated, times were different 45 years ago."

Keep up to date with the Oak Island treasure hunt by following us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/OakIsland
Jo
Site Admin

Postby Jo on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:02 pm

Here's a few more photos - all annotations are provided with thanks to Robert.

One of the drains at Smith's Cove. You can see the leaves, twigs and other organic matter buried below the round beach stones. This organic matter was found buried in a very large area at Smith's Cove and was an integral part of the drain system. It is astonishing to think of the man hours required to complete this complex system at the cove. What were they hiding?

Dan Blankenship working at the South Shore.

A trip on a lobster boat out in the bay. Wow, there were a LOT of lobsters caught on that trip! From left to right, RD2, Mrs. Dunfield and my step-sister who was there for a week or so. The trip out in the bay pulling traps yeilded at least 10 or so lobsters in each one. Some were absolutely huge.

A young and handsome Dan Blankenship, Mrs. Dunfield and 4 friends at an evening's festivities. All of the people that my parents met in Chester and Dartmouth, etc. were kind and gracious people. Nova Scotians know how to party as well!

I love the photos of the party and lobster trip. I think it offers a small insight into the friendships that were built around Oak Island, something we can all relate to.

Jo
Site Admin

Postby RRD2 on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:12 am

In the last image of the party, I believe that everyone were at Doug and Edie Eisnor's house. It is hard to remember names from so long ago, when we went through pictures. Tank may be able to help in the ID of any of the kind folks of Chester, as it was a very close knit community. I suppose that in many ways it is the same these days - a few cold beers, a guitar and plates with giant lobsters on them..right, Tank??? :D
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby mr_dogman2u on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:35 am

I am going out on a limb here. This is one of those times that it really sucks to be several thousand miles from hard evidence and rely on online pictures. I have spent alot of time looking at the roman numerals on the timbers, and something came to me. What if the roman numbers on the timbers are not roman nmbers at all, but are the same symbol that many have deciphered as the letter "d" in the 90 foot stone? I am throwing this on the common genius of the forum before I research further, but look at the similarities! Could they be somehow related? I kmow that there are hundreds here with much more OI knowledge than I, but I have never made the connection, nor have I seen anyone else make it. Just compare the symbols, and tell me it is not uncanny.
Always do sober what you said you would do when drunk-It'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.--Ernest Hemingway
OITS MEMBER (me, not Hemingway!)
mr_dogman2u
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Vincent on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:31 am

MrDogman,

Personally speaking I think they are roman numerals, however, I could be wrong. It would not surprise me at all if you are correct and that the cypher stone symbols (if it truly did exist) have been repeated elsewhere on the island.
Quick pass me a spade! I`ve had another idea.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Postby mutakwe on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi,

I have offered an explanation which I believe explains the use of the Roman numerals. It is really quite simple when you think about it, but what I am saying is that these marks were tooled in to facilitate the snapping together of the structure at the joints and may be referred to as "marriage marks". I found out that these marks were in fact quite commonly used especially by the colonial American settlers to raise their barns. This could be thought of as an early form of prefabrication, I suppose, but the idea was to dress and notch the logs, mark each joint with the marriage marks, then simply snap the like marks together, (or "marry" together the joints). I predict with certainty that if you were to examine each joint, you would find not one, but two similar Roman numerals. Of course the implication is that these could have been tooled elsewhere and brought to the island to be snapped into place with relative ease. Photo sent to Jo.

And I am going to throw something else out here too, as I had been looking and studying the mysterious box/sled found near Smith's Cove. This is going to be a sad and more sinister suggestion, and is somewhat shocking. Instead of me explaining, let a picture be a thousand words. Jo, if you would post the photo I found and let them see, thanks. The only problem with this theory is the hanging question, was there a tow rope on the front? Visually in the picture, I don't think it can be seen, but I wouldn't write this off until the actual sled was examined up close.

Then you will see how the narrow tunnels may in fact have been dug. Jo, if you would.

Joy

P.S. Thank you very much Robert for posting your father's information. I am personally appreciative of this and I wish everyone can be as forth coming as you. Happy New Year to you and all.
Last edited by mutakwe on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never Give Up" - Dan Blankenship
mutakwe
Digging for Diamonds

PreviousNext

Return to Oak Island Research Group