Smith's Cove Exploration and Discoveries 1970

Forum members who wish to participate in the research of Oak Island related topics

Moderators: Jo, RRD2

Re: Smith's Cove Exploration and Discoveries 1970

Postby Vincent on Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:55 pm

What an excellent set of pictures, Thanks to RRD2 for sharing them and Thanks to Jo for posting them despite being on holiday.
The ruler measurements in inches is very interesting.
Quick pass me a spade! I`ve had another idea.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Postby D'Arcy on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:34 pm

Terrific sketch and photos, Robert. Thank you for sharing them here!
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby kitch on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:50 pm

Wow! Thanks so much for those pictures.....incredible. If I understand correctly the V drain leads to the money pit? Has this drain be followed back right to the money pit? Does it lead through the cave in pit?

I would love to study those timbers....are there any nails in this wood at all? They can be wonderful tools of chronology.
kitch
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Dave Wood on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:37 am

Welcome back Robert.One thing I noticed about the rule is that it reads from right to left.Every rule I've used in engineering reads from left to right,in England that is.I wondered if the Americans have their rules as shown in the photo,giving a source from where it was made,or would there be a date when it was changed to reading from left to right.Something to contemplate.

Dave
(OITS)
Dave Wood
Digging for Diamonds

Postby opus on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:55 pm

Gang,

The picture of the box I saw in the previous thread does resemble the "Great Escape" prop as seen in the movie (great film!) - with a skid instead of wheels.

My take is that this is a "rock sled" rather than earth mover. One aspect of the "artificial beach" as described in the books is an extensive stretch of beach that was covered in rounded stones. Without actually knowing the scale involved, the box appears to be large enough/small enough for one man to handle and was probably pulled along the surface (any place for ropes?). Rounded beach stones would have turned up in the dozens and some poor slob was tasked with loading and hauling to a series of piling stations, from which the stones would be re-deployed as the artificial beach. Simple and effective...unless you're the slob with the skid.

Just a thought,

Opus
A treasure hunter will take your money and his experience and turn it into his money and your experience.
opus
Digging for Diamonds

Postby kitch on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:34 am

Is the correct term for this box a stone boat? That's what the farmers in this area call the old time implements for hauling stones from fields. If it was used for rocks the box should be dented and dinged and scuffed up pretty bad. Is there a large enough supply of round beach stones on the island to do the required work? Also, have the timbers from the wooden framing found buried been checked for species etc?? Nail chronology?
kitch
Digging for Diamonds

Postby n4n224ccw on Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:47 am

kitch wrote:... Also, have the timbers from the wooden framing found buried been checked for species etc?? Nail chronology?

Yes.
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby kitch on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:47 pm

What are the results? I would have loved to have been there while this was uncovered.
kitch
Digging for Diamonds

Postby RRD2 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:09 pm

Many thanks for all of the replies. To Kitch - yes, nails were recovered and many were dated by Stelco to the time of the proposed deposit(s). I have fragments of one of these nails - there's not much left, sad to say, but it was apparently crudely wrought iron, not unlike much of the similar hand wrought iron discovered by DB as well as RRD1 and previous searcchesrs that we read about in D'Arcy O' Connor's books.

I remain in contact with the new group and they have agreed to date test the china sherd with the blue glaze at Oxford as well as assist me with the huge 16mm reel. Truly, I cannot say enough about Rick Lagina and the new group. They are the greatest and have my fullest support in every endeavour.

More to come soon - thanks again for your thoughts..
Best,
Robert
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby kitch on Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:40 am

Thanks for sharing the info. Fascinating stuff!
kitch
Digging for Diamonds

PreviousNext

Return to Oak Island Research Group