Vaughan, Daniel et al....1788 PANS Reel 15684

Forum members who wish to participate in the research of Oak Island related topics

Moderators: Jo, RRD2

Vaughan, Daniel et al....1788 PANS Reel 15684

Postby n4n224ccw on Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:06 pm

It would appear the Crown had great interest in keeping the very large mature trees reserved for its own. We have read that Oak Island had large trees and this would be in keeping for an island.

When I read the 1788 passage below, I could not help but to think of the big old tree reported to be above the supposed pit. We have a government surveyor who found only 38 trees in 900 acres of the western shore. I bet he had his eye on Oak Island's large trees. The Vaughan brothers were into lumber and which in other passages it is mentioned they owned a mill. Large trees seem to be scarce on the Westernshore, so Oak Island's large trees seem like pretty good motive to buy into the island.

"John Wentworth Esq. Surveyor General of Woods in the Province of Nova Scotia and all other His Majesty's Territories in America, etc.

WHEREAS it hath been represented to me by Daniel Vaughan, Anthony Vaughan and James McLeod that they are possessed of a Tract of Land situated, laying and being in the Township of Chester & County of Lunenburg, being the Lotts No 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 &6 containing nine hundred Acres and are commonly known by the name of the Western Shore Lotts, second division, letter B and that Sundry Pine Trees are standing on said Lotts which prove detrimental to the culture and improvement of the same.

Having caused the aforesaid Lotts of Land and Pine Trees standing thereon to be inspected and surveyed, I do, inconformity to His Majesty's instructions, hereby grant lycense to the aforementioned Daniel Vaughan, Anthony Vaughan and James McLeod to cut and take away the Pine Trees growing thereon; Save and except thirty eight trees, being from Sixteen inches and upwards in diameter and from Twenty Six feet and upwards in length, which are marked *W being fit and are to remain for his Majesty's service; and are thetfore wholly excepted ut of this lycense accordingly.

Given under my hand at Halifax
this 25th day of January , 1788
J.W. Wentworth"

* represents an unreadable character, thus the mark on the trees consisted of two characters with the second being a W

I wonder if any large trees on lot 18 of Oak Island were ever mark for saving?

So much for a mysterious context to characters being carved into a large trees surrounding the pit
Last edited by n4n224ccw on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Trees for the Royal Navy

Postby REJ on Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:15 pm

It wouldn't be surprising to find that trees on OI had been claimed for the Crown. Under a Royal warrant, trees fitting certain characteristics (diameter, species, height, etc.) were often reserved for use in the Royal Navy's ship building programme.

This is, in fact, one of the reasons the Crown was so interested in North America. The huge primeval forests were seen as a prime source of war materiel, as those in England and elsewhere had been largely denuded of desirable trees.

See Simon Schama's Landscape and Memory for a lot of good detail on the "arms race" of the period.
REJ
Digging for Ore

Trees

Postby Tank04 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:50 pm

REJ,

It wouldn't be surprising to find that trees on OI had been claimed for the Crown. Under a Royal warrant, trees fitting certain characteristics (diameter, species, height, etc.) were often reserved for use in the Royal Navy's ship building programme.

I agree. I have long stated that those trees were ripe for the picking for exactly what you suggested. If there was a tackle block left in an old Oak tree as the legend suggests, maybe it was left over from that work. Of course, it is all speculation at this time.

Imagine that, you and I agreeing on something. :lol:
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Re: Vaughan, Daniel et al....1788 PANS Reel 15684

Postby n4n224ccw on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:55 pm

After following up the Department of Natural Resources' poor quality Vaughan and McLeod petition for trees to determine the exact characters which were carved into the trees, the Nova Scotia Archives and Record Management folks were able to find a copy which showed the symbols!!!

There were also kind enough to share the copy online.

http://gov.ns.ca/nsarm/virtual/landpape ... c=document

As one can see, those characters could appear strange to anyone who did not know what they meant....even today.

In summary, we do have a representative from the Surveyor General of Woods marking trees on the Westernshore. Did that person make it to the Vaughan's property on Oak Island since he was in the area? We may never know, but it certainly would explain the supposed markings on trees which according to legend surrounded the money pit.
Attachments
vaughan mcleod westernshore.JPG
vaughan mcleod westernshore.JPG (94.53 KiB) Viewed 5305 times
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Return to Oak Island Research Group