The Money Pit

Forum members who wish to participate in the research of Oak Island related topics

Moderators: Jo, RRD2

The Money Pit

Postby RRD2 on Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:52 pm

The Money Pit, or MP as it is referred to on the forum, has been a central feature in this mystery since it began. All of the various books on Oak Island cover it well, but not everything known will be found in print.

It has been the subject of much speculation and theory, essentially as to why it even exists or what function it serves. Some claim to know the specific purpose and others dismiss it as a mine shaft or a water well, among other unusual things. It could be the location of an enormous deposit of treasure and it may hold a less significant "decoy" treasure intended to divert attention from the true location of other caches.

When it was discovered on the island, it prompted what is now the longest lasting and most expensive search for treasure. Other curious discoveries on the island are related to the MP, whether they be rock markers on the surface or drain systems and tunnels from the beach.

One of our esteemed posters, D'Arcy O'Connor, devoted a good part of his life researching this, the result of which is a book by the same name, "The Money Pit". Chances are that more people have read this book than all of the other Oak Island books combined. It is what makes Oak Island famous.

It has been excavated, drilled, timbered, lost and then found at times. It is certainly worthy of a topic for discussion, to review what is known and to analyze what is not commonly known...

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby RRD2 on Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:01 pm

The following is an early entry with regard to the MP. You will note that RDI believed that there was in fact a "decoy treasure", but as with Chappell, believed that the "main treasure" was located somewhere in the vicinity...

" The 'decoy" treasure, buried at a depth of 104 feet, has been drilled into many times before the pit collapsed. It is believed to consist of 2 chests and 3 kegs of coins. Gold specks were washed from the drills and 3 links of gold chain were supposedly recovered. During the first collapse of the money pit, the treasure dropped to an area 118 feet deep and it was believed to have been pushed into Truro's tunnel, which was the only tunnel in the immediate area and a distance of 2 feet from the money pit. Restall cleaned out the tunnel and found nothing. However, the timber from the money pit came down with such force, with water and clay, as to push through the 18 foot Hamilton tunnel, (Note: Hamilton cleared this earlier and tunnelled to the Halifax pit) concave the floor and stand on end in the Truro shaft of 1861.
When Chappell sunk his shaft, they drilled from the floor when reaching a depth of 90 feet. From this point they drilled into the main treasure at a depth of 154 feet and assumed it to be bars or ingots of gold and silver. They recovered gold on the drill. After the shaft had been completed in 1931, Chappell realized the drill had been deflected. The casing was bent in every case and is still there to observe, one section I looked at was bent nearly 30 degrees. Chappell then plotted the possible termination point of the drilling, and the gold falls within a radius which conforms with Restall's proof of the spiral tunnel.
I have observed Chappell's map which includes diagrams of his shaft and of Heddon's work. Restall has done considerable drilling, mostly from the 124 foot level. The results of this drilling prove, beyond a doubt, the existence of the spiral tunnel to a point where it turns outward."

Please see sketch #1 at the OIRG website for a plan of the shafts and their proximity to the Money Pit. More on the spiral tunnel later...

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Gold

Postby Tank04 on Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:32 pm

RDII,

I have heard this before about there being gold seen on drill bits. Hopefully, before this summer, we will have more information on that spiral tunnel too.

Restall spent a lot of time looking for that treasure in the Heddon and Chappell shafts.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

oirg

Postby Vincent on Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:50 am

Tank and RRD2.

The OIRG website seems to be getting mentioned frequently, can anyone tell me what it is/ where it is?
Quick pass me a spade! I`ve had another idea.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

spiral tunnel

Postby Vincent on Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:29 pm

Tank+RRD2.
The results of this drilling prove, beyond a doubt, the existence of the spiral tunnel to a point where it turns outward."

I have never read this before.
Could the spiraling effect on the drill casing be caused by it buckling under the strain of drilling at such a depth or the fact that if it was drilling through puddled clay the motion of the drill bit could cause the shaft to flex as it wouldn`t have an awful lot of pressure around it to hold it steady?

Also are we to assume that the spiral tunnel is man made or a natural fissure?
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Postby RRD2 on Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:50 pm

Vincent:

I began the Oak Island Research Group (OIRG) for members of the forum to participate in specific study of Oak Island related subjects. You will find my introductory message and items of interest at the website:

http://www.msnusers.com/oakisland

Please take a look and join in...it's free and the level at which you participate is entirely up to you.

For the last 20+ years, I have been gathering Oak Island information from files, film, pictures, reports, maps, correspondence and other resources that belonged to my father. In addition, like many of us, I have read the 7 or 8 different books on the subject. I noticed that there were many details and discoveries which were not covered in the books.

Much of this material is important to understanding and perhaps solving this mystery. For this reason and acknowledging the fact that I will probably never write a book, I have chosen to reveal this new information with members of the group and the forum. The results are everything that I had hoped for. New ideas, theories and discussions have followed. Artifacts are being analyzed. Members are participating in various ways for the benefit of the entire group. It's working.

There is an enormous amount of new information available to share, so all of us will have plenty to consider for the forseeable future. What has been posted about the cove, the MP, etc. is but a fraction of what is to come. Join our group and I promise that you will never be bored.

The OIRG is dedicated not only to a better understanding of the Oak Island mystery, but enjoys a unofficial relationship with the OITS. Artifacts, maps, film, photographs and other related items will ultimately find a home with the OITS and we anticipate the establishment of a permanent venue for this and other OI material for everyone to experience - no strings attached.

I am compiling all of the data on the spiral tunnel for the MP thread, and like most of this material, you have not heard of it before...

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

OIRG

Postby Vincent on Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:45 pm

RRD2.

Thanks for that i shall take a look over the weekend as i bet i`ll need plenty of time to read up on the all stuff i havn`t seen.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Postby RRD2 on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:16 am

The spiral tunnel was first noticed by miners in the south end of the Heddon shaft (1936 -). Miners that were interviewed stated that they were directed by the superintendent to continue digging to a depth of 170 feet. It was believed that at this level they would find the treasure which was thought to have been drilled into earlier at 154 feet.

The miners protested continuing, because when they encountered the spiral tunnel, soft clay and sand caved in on them. The Heddon shaft at that depth settled precariously and miners worked for about three days to control it. Heddon placed little importance on the spiral tunnel and was probably advised by his geologist that it was simply part of the glacial section. They didn't realize that this was in fact a tunnel that had been previously dug, untimbered.

The tunnel was also encountered in the Chappell shaft at 136 feet and at 144 feet. Restall located it again while working in the Heddon shaft at 124 feet. The tunnel is composed of loose clay with a great deal of sand. In addition, (now...) sea water flows through it. When RDI encountered the tunnel, he recognized that it was the work of the depositors and not something from previous search attempts or part of an unstable formation. Telephone calls were placed to Chappell in Sydney, N.S. during the month of July, 1965 and it was confirmed.

The importance and purpose of the tunnel is worthy of discussion. It will be been difficult to illustrate in a cross-section map, but review of the records and facts here should help answer a few questions and help with the process.

The outline of the spiral tunnel is visible on field sketch #1.

(As a side note, when I learned of the existence of the spiral tunnel, I considered it an alternative entrance to the treasure chamber at the bottom of the money pit, bypassing the flood trap entirely. The location of the entrance at the surface, though, could be any number of places....)

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

spiral tunnel

Postby Vincent on Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:20 am

RRD2.

As promised i have been to the OIRG site but for some reason i couldnt see anything! (you must take into account that i am not very technically minded)

I shall persevere!

One thing though, Just in case i fail to see the pictures on the site and read all the relevent infomation,would you be able to answer one question?

If the tunnel was man made(and i dont doubt that) why would it have been dug to resemble a spiral?
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Postby Bonnie on Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:22 pm

vincent, hello :)

once you join the msn group you can then click on the item on the left sidebar that says DOCUMENTS. there are a lot of images and diagrams etc in that document section and i believe one of the spiral staircase too.

here:
www.msnusers.com/oakisland

and many other things.

happy sunday
B
Bonnie
Future Tour Guide

Next

Return to Oak Island Research Group