Smith's Cove

Forum members who wish to participate in the research of Oak Island related topics

Moderators: Jo, RRD2

Postby badinfluence63 on Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:46 am

Interesting thought you have here.

One small question comes to mind....is there any significance to tidal patterns that could have accelerated the wear and tear of that section? If not, thats an excellent and logical possibility!! Dig out an inside parameter, then once everything was set, collapse the barrier.

That sure was thinking outside the box there !

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby Mad Davy Kidd on Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:29 am

Interesting theory I was also thinking that since the works at Smith's Cove were fairly deep under the beach that the beach could have in essence been excavated and pushed back, forming a coffer dam in the process but I think you're idea has merit as well.

As BI asked, i also wonder if it may also have naturally eroded in that area due to particularities of the currents or tides?

Dave
Mad Davy Kidd
Digging on Oak Island

Postby RRD2 on Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:26 pm

This is an interesting possibility. Notably, the work that was started on the South Shore began not just because a flood tunnel was thought to exist...

"These areas were chosen because of abnormal characteristics of beach line indicated on aerial photos.....the water around the beach has been thoroughly muddied yet it does not come out of the pit. The drain system is so well protected ....that filtering is complete..." (9/18/65)

The thread "Over time" provides a superb opportunity to see how the shoreline at both the cove and the South Shore have changed and in many respects, remained the same over the years. The island must have looked very different prior to the original work of the depositors. We may not fully comprehend the scale of it.

The South Shore offers similar possibilities and may have been altered to some extent as well. Unfortunately less is known about it than the cove. Still, if we are able to understand how the system was created at Smith's Cove, it may give us insights about other areas.

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby D'Arcy on Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:14 pm

RRD2 et al:

Some pretty interesting discussion and suggestions regarding Smith's Cove and the South Shore Cove.

I particularly like your theory of the depositors using the inland beach as a natural cofferdam and then tunneling from there to the MP, before activating the flood tunnel(s) by trenching from the inland beach to the low tide mark. Makes a lot of sense to me. And it would fit in with Erwin Hamilton's early 1940's research into the geology of the island and ocean level as would have existed some 400 or more years ago.

D'Arcy
(OITS member)
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby RRD2 on Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:26 pm

D'Arcy:

I am looking forward to the upcoming thread on the South Shore. Hopefully, we will be able to propose a valid theory about this system as well. I just recently found a file which contained many Oak Island letters and documents which I had never seen before. One item there was a report that I did on OI for my third grade class, but we won't be discussing that.... Included also were several letters that you had written to RDI in advance of your book..(dated 8/7 & 9/8/76). There is a notable lack of detail in the responses from RDI. (Sorry about that... :roll: ) You had many questions which were not answered. Perhaps there was a need for some security at that time? Nevertheless, I still consider The Money Pit as one of the most comprehensive on the subject. Did you ever get in contact with George Greene?

There is now an opportunity to discuss a lot of this previously unknown information and as the response from illustrates, we are making progress. I have envisioned the process that he suggests for the cove and it makes a great deal of sense. As complex as this is, they probably sought to go about it as quickly as possible. This was likely a secret operation, but it took quite a while to accomplish with many people working on it. The who part of it is probably the biggest mystery of all....at least for me right now.

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby D'Arcy on Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:07 am

RRD2 wrote: Did you ever get in contact with George Greene?

No. As I may have told you before, I was hot on his trail (through his family and oil-drilling partners in Texas) as I desperately wanted (as did your dad) to see his 1955 OI drilling logs. Greene, as you probably know, was murdered in 1962 while on an El Dorado expedition in the jungles of British Guiana. I never did track down those original OI logs; only sketchy reports of them that he'd sent to Mel Chappell.

D'Arcy
(OITS member)
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby RRD2 on Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:51 pm

I wasn't aware of George Greene's fate, D'Arcy. That is a sad story. I didn't know that dad tried to contact him either, but it stands to reason why he would want to see the logs. It is one thing that would have been immediately clear to him. Perhaps someday the Greene material will surface, if it wasn't lost forever...

Thanks for the info..

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Previous

Return to Oak Island Research Group