The Chamber....One of many?

Forum members who wish to participate in the research of Oak Island related topics

Moderators: Jo, RRD2

Video system offer (jbacon) re: chamber exploration

Postby RRD2 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:14 pm

jbacon wrote:

How large in diameter are the shafts that would benefit from a new video survey?

I have a homemade remote camera system that I built a few years ago to use in flooded mine shafts and quarries. Camera quality has improved in leaps and bounds since the early 70's and this one uses a very low lux camera with both I/R and white LED illumination. Its never been professionally pressure tested but I've used it down to 310'. The camera head is just under 2" in diameter and has 325' of cable. As long as it is a fairly clear shot down the shaft with no major obstructions it would be easy. If someone got permission, I'd be willing to bring it up and run it.

You can buy a professional shaft inspection system that will handle to 200' for under $3,000 usd. For $5,000 usd you can get a really nice system that includes a portable vcr, 400' of cable, etc... And after you buy it you can make extra pocket money doing sewer pipe video inspections. I wish I had built my system so it could do sewer pipe inspections, but my cable is far too flexible.

(by jbacon)
(moved from separate topic to appropriate thread by RDII)
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Bonnie on Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:22 pm

Tank gives even better advice!!!!!! clean the drawer out "completely"
while you are at it maybe you could go purchase some fresh drawer paper liner in hot pink or something like that so you wont feel the need to "use" the drawer for anything else.lol

you may feel compelled to cook up some browniess and store them in the drawer. dont do it Bad. dont do it! :)
Bonnie
Future Tour Guide

Postby badinfluence63 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:42 am

Bonnie,

your little guy may need a stepper and age apropriate treats too.lol

Your right nothing worse then watching a 3yo bouncing off the walls on a sugar high! :P

Tank,

So, no switchblades, roach clips, Saturday night specials, live ammo, old spark plugs, beer, extra hot chili sauce (until he gets older) or girlie magazines. Well, maybe some girlie magazines.

Good point however I have never been one to endure the wonting cries of a child. Not that its annoying but it tugs on my heart strings. So when he starts crying its like "do want one of grampies cigarettes? A beer? Want to go target practicing?" All the cool stuff his mum or grand mum won't let him do! Trust me, for all you bleeding hearts I am so kidding, he needs to be at least 4 before he can have a cigarette, beer or shoot a weapon! :P

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby badinfluence63 on Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:50 am

n4,

I would like to have nice clear pictures and full mobility so that tunnels might be followed. The push cable system also allows for snaking the camera into the bay for so that I can examine a few curiosities. The rental is not for just a few days either

Is this something that can happen sooner then later? Will it have to wait until after the sale if it happens at all?

As I have mentioned before N4, if you are able to accomplish permission I would like to volunteer my services. I bring to the table a strong team player ethic, I know my place on the grand scale of things. I can contribute financially, to a point and as a skilled laborer. There will be no forcing of my agenda(as I don't have one) and my opinion will only be offered when asked.

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Postby jbacon on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:01 pm

n4,

$5,000 cdn for 1,000', pan, tilt, etc... is a decent price. A system with those capabilities will run around $30,000 usd to purchase.

The resolution on my system is excellent, low light capability is better than any of the sewer / pipe video survey systems I have seen as we specifically designed it to be used in submerged mine shafts. It does not have any mobility at all, just drop it down the shaft and pull it up.
jbacon
Digging for Coal

Postby Bonnie on Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:38 pm

RRD2, I am sorry to of high jacked your important posting thread here. But i just cant help but continue to think about your comment of walking to school from the motel everyday! no parent would have there whole family live in those conditions unless there was a real worthy cause for it.

I am sure living in that motel was cramped quarters and you probably dont remember that!

Thanks for the memories :)

again, sorry people for the sidetrack....
B
Last edited by Bonnie on Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonnie
Future Tour Guide

Postby RRD2 on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:28 pm

No worries, Bonnie....the chamber isn't going anywhere, both literally and figuratively. Still, there has been some interesting discussion and we'll get it back on the right track.

Living at the Windjammer was really not that bad as I recall. The food was great and the people were very friendly. There was a restaurant on the property and I ate there often by myself. The ladies were very kind and they "created" a cheeseburger for me which wasn't on the menu at the time.

School was challenging but really interesting. Much can be said about the education system there - at least in the mid-60's. As it turned out, when I returned to the states, I skipped third grade completely.

My folks spent a lot of time with others and as a result, I was able to spend equal time with many of the families in the area. Tank knows many of them - Armstrong, Coles, Stackhouse to name but a few.

It was a unique experience and I can certainly understand how things might have been for you as well. Adjustments are easily made at that age and minor discomforts are easily ignored.

As to thoughts for the chamber - I sincerely hope that has the opportunity and resources to do some serious exploration with the tools that we have been discussing.

Much of the information available now is drawn from analyses made in the 70's and 80's or before. This is a completely different era, technologically speaking. If and when our current scientific resources can be brought to bear on OI, the results may be surprising. Where there was thought to be nothing before, new discoveries will be made. 21st century forensics has a lot to offer and it isn't always out of reach financially. Some of the things that we are already doing here, with the wood for example, are essentially free. Imagine that!

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Vincent on Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:56 pm

RRD2.

Would a chamber lined with crude cement and clay have been reasonably watertight, and if so, why would the depositors need to have watertight storage?

Like you i am of the opinion that once beneath OI the diggers discovered natural caverns and adapted them to their needs. your question above about why would they need water tight storage i think can be simply answered.
A upon their return to retrieve the treasure they wouldnt have to pump the cavern dry to get at there booty.
B the discovery of the `VI` parchment might indicate that amoungst their trove were documents that of course need to be kept reletively dry.

it is a well known fact that there are/maybe caverns beneath oi(cave-in-pit for eg.) and the discovery of a cement like substance would lend weight to the theory of lining the cavern to create a water tight seal, as we all know the caverns are in part created by water seeping in through cracks in the rocks over a long period of time.

all of this seems very likely to me as ive always mantained that these people were very sophisticated,resorceful and motivated in their approach to OI.

once posted some infomation about a cavern that was discovered and pumped full of water to determine its mass(which promtly soaked away), is this the same cavern?
Quick pass me a spade! I`ve had another idea.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Postby badinfluence63 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:09 pm

RDII,

I really enjoy reading about your times walking to school as a young lad in Nova Scotia. Its not something many parents are comfortable doing in todays time with all the child abductions and safety concerns( I too walked to school in the 60's. It was over a mile too. Unlike my parents i was able to wear shoes). I imagine Western/South Shore today versus Western/South Shore in the 60's is very different? Have you kept in touch with the families whose freindships you made over the years?

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

cavern

Postby Vincent on Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:39 pm

i could agree with you more.
What puzzles me here though is how they planned the works working around natural caverns! how would they have known of natural caverns?

my best guess here is that at some point access to a cavern/caverns was a natural phenomenon(ie a cave/ sink hole) this may have been discovered by chance and then they drew their plans around it.
as RRD2 said there was evidence during some drilling that a cement like substance was discovered in close proximity to a cavern(natural or man made?) this to me suggests that it was augmented to suit there needs(ie the cement was a form of water proof lining)

My only stumbling block here is that if natural access did exist why dig the MP?

my only thought here is that the site of the MP was originaly a natural fissure that had to be widened in order for the treasure to be lowered down.
Quick pass me a spade! I`ve had another idea.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

PreviousNext

Return to Oak Island Research Group