The Chamber....One of many?

Forum members who wish to participate in the research of Oak Island related topics

Moderators: Jo, RRD2

Postby badinfluence63 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:50 pm

Someone mentioned some where that the possibility that the MP was strategically placed makes sense. Has anything been mentioned about the MP's location being triangulated with the sea level and its function in relation to the flood tunnels?

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby RRD2 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:54 pm

badinfluence63 wrote:( I too walked to school in the 60's. It was over a mile too. Unlike my parents i was able to wear shoes)

I see that we are from similar backgrounds & age brackets. My dad walked to school also - in the snow and with cardboard soles in his shoes. ...... the kid is going to walk to school in the snow! Did I learn something from this? Well, yes....it is freaking cold in N.S. in the winter!!!

Those with depression-era parents understand the mentality well. I take it that your folks didn't even have shoes? How far did they have to walk?

WRT the placement of the MP.....there has to be a reason why it was constructed there. The original shaft is almost directly atop the predominant drumlin. Were the constructors aware of the subsurface geology? If they understood the stratigraphy, did they anticipate naturally existing limestone caverns and benefit from the location?

Vincent makes a good point as well. After the excavation of the MP, equipment was used to explore the cave-in pit. To this day, folks have been at a loss to understand why RDI would spend so much time and effort there. It has been described as "grasping at straws" among other unfortunate things. From what I understand, there was an opportunity to discover horizontal shafts and other anthropomorphic features. A shaft entrance was indeed found down in the cave-in pit, but it was never proven to be from the originators. Other data has yet to be interpreted. In short, we don't know if they knew of the area of subsidence that ultimately became the cave-in pit.

Chances are, if the originators were uncertain of what they would find at various depths, they would alter their original engineering to suit their needs. If huge boulders were encountered while driving a shaft, they probably went around them. If caverns were discovered in the process, they likely incorporated them in the overall scheme.

I believe that they had a basic knowledge of the island and the stratigraphy before they began. Circumstancial evidence is being gathered to support this idea. If it can be proven, we may have a better idea of who these people were.

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

OI

Postby Vincent on Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:20 pm

RRD2

I believe that they had a basic knowledge of the island and the stratigraphy before they began.

This is one aspect of OI that is a real mind boggler.

if they had knowledge of OI prior to their dig, one must accept that they chose OI for reasons fitting with the overall scheme of their designs, this implies that they must have searched for a place that had very specific criteria.

i believe that OI was specificaly chosen for various reasons, not only its geographic location but also because the subterrainian features were just what they needed.

But then you have to ask,what is it about the depths of OI that is so important?

im of the opinion that the main players in the OI mystery are spanish in origin. given that prior to 1795 most spanish activity around the americas was based in and around the caribbean/south america. OI is a bit of the beaten path for them to have chanced upon it, therefore it must have been deliberatly searched for.
Quick pass me a spade! I`ve had another idea.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

oi

Postby Vincent on Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:00 pm

My biggest issue with this theory is the report of three mounds of anhydrate rock, totaling approximately 275,000 cubic feet, found off the island, underwater, and almost 200 ft above its natural layer. Removal of so much rock does not indicate natural caverns were the deciding factor to choose this island.

:shock: what!!! now this is something i wasnt aware of.

that throws a totally different light on the subject.

275000 cft. :shock: whats down there a few tunnels or an airplane hanger!

do you know of the location of the three piles relative to the MP?
Quick pass me a spade! I`ve had another idea.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Previous

Return to Oak Island Research Group