The mysterious Oak trees....

Forum members who wish to participate in the research of Oak Island related topics

Moderators: Jo, RRD2

The mysterious Oak trees....

Postby RRD2 on Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:56 pm

Proceeding with discovery of a specimen of one of the mysterious Oak trees on the island, we are preparing to submit a sample to CWAR for identification.

The sample that we received yesterday should provide the botanist with all that is required for study. It is anticipated that this will be identified as one of the species Quercus; a hybrid, quite possibly as suggests, but anything is possible.

There is great anticipation, as it is believed that these trees are not indigenous to the maritimes and the positive ID may lead us to a point of origin for early visitors to the island. The opportunity for further research is most welcome.

We hope to provide the botanist with as much data as possible to accompany the sample, including excerpts of photograph work and some background history on these unique trees. To this end, a brief report is nearly complete and the package should be posted by Friday 1/20/06 at the latest. Copies of this report will be retained for submission to an associate lab for possible DNA analysis and further in-depth study.

Our first submission took six weeks during the holidays, so we are hoping for a response before the end of February. Results of the tests will be forwarded to the OITS for review when they are received.

There could well be some very exciting news on the horizon and it could open a new and exciting chapter in the Oak Island mystery....

Many thanks to MDK, the OITS and the OIRG membership for making this all possible!

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Bonnie on Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:00 pm

very very exciting!!!!!!!!!
Bonnie
Future Tour Guide

Postby JavaDog on Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:26 pm

Very interesting!

So, is it a thought that these trees were seeded/planted on OI by accident - or planted on purpose?
JavaDog
Digging for Diamonds

Postby badinfluence63 on Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:19 am

Javadog,

So, is it a thought that these trees were seeded/planted on OI by accident - or planted on purpose?

There are some who speculate that the trees were planted, are hybrid(don't reproduce) and that is the reason they haven't reseeded new ones over the many years. Having died out as a consequence.

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby acdonah on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:50 am

Hi All,

I hope everything turns out the way you want. This would definitely be World news if it does and OI would receive serious attention! Is Spain the biggest hopeful? Personally, I hope it is Scotland...:).

acdonah
acdonah
Digging for Diamonds

trees

Postby Vincent on Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:49 pm

Not having looked into the history of the trees on OI(which is a bit dumb as i think they are quite important), i find it a bit odd That someone would deliberatley plant non indigenous trees on an island, assuming they are european in origin thats a long way to go for a spot of gardening :?

Are there any documented theories on possible reasons why they were planted or are we in the realms of pure speculation?

My only guess is that there shape/colour(time of year dependant) was used as a marker, this all falls to the ground however if they exsisted around OI as opposed to just on it.
Quick pass me a spade! I`ve had another idea.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Postby JavaDog on Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:26 pm

The theory of them being used as a marker for the Island does sound plausible, at least to me. It will be interesting to see what the test results are...
JavaDog
Digging for Diamonds

Postby RRD2 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:16 pm

The package is away by Priority Mail as of today, Friday morning. Hopefully, Alex will be able to give us a detailed analysis. Since I have requested as many tests that they allow, it may take a full six weeks to receive a response, but it all depends on how busy they are in the lab.

We can only speculate now about the origin of these trees. That they are likely not indigenous gives us hope that we may be able to determine where the early visitors came from and why they planted them in the first place. There have been many assumptions so far, along with some good theories. If these trees are native only to a region in the UK or South America, for example, we will have many new questions to consider...

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Trees

Postby Vincent on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:26 pm

RRD2.

If these trees are native only to a region in the UK or South America

If you do discover that the trees are of european decent or even better from engalnd but have trouble finding documented evidence about the tree itself do let me know and i shall try and get a book on english flora, to help you, this may also come in handy if any other plants are found, as pointed out, there was red clover near the MP and the mention of other plants and flowers.
over here we have boot sales( i believe in the USA they are called garage sales) people sell some of the strangest things for pence literaly!

the season is about to start and there is always a plethora of old books on plants that may come in handy.

i must confess that i have never seen(to the best of my knowledge) an oak matching the discription of the ones on OI, but that doesnt meen to say they didnt thrive here at some point or still do if you know where to look.

if i can be of assistance i will do whatever i can.

this promises to open a new page on the mystery.
Quick pass me a spade! I`ve had another idea.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Postby RRD2 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:33 pm

Many thanks for your offer to assist in the Oak Island Research Group, Vincent.

Certainly that you live in England will prove to be an invaluable asset on not only the tree identification, but future projects as well.

Welcome! :D

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Next

Return to Oak Island Research Group