Tree Photo Identification Project.

Forum members who wish to participate in the research of Oak Island related topics

Moderators: Jo, RRD2

Postby acdonah on Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:15 pm

Its the funniest looking Maple tree I have ever seen. I would have never guessed a Maple by looking at the photos.

acd
acdonah
Digging for Diamonds

Trees

Postby Vincent on Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:21 pm

..RRd2.

firstly id like to thank you both for the work you have done regarding the tree samples and please pass on my thanks to alex.

A species of Maple is interesting

this is going to sound a little dumb but why was it intersting to find a maple tree in Canada?

is it a very rare form of maple? or does it not actually grow in Canada?

I must confess to being a little dissapointed but hey thats life, we know there were Oaks on OI and it would have been nice to see a shock result but as you appear to know a lot more about Canadian flora than I (most if the truth were known) but what are your thoughts on the results?

again many thanks to all involved, excellent work. big smile, pat on back, cold beer time :lol:
Quick pass me a spade! I`ve had another idea.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Postby Vincent on Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:24 pm

Those who observed these living trees say that were Oaks, I am wondering if they harvested any of these trees and after milling, were still of the same opinion as them being Oak

This is really strecthing it but is it possible that when the so called oaks were felled could the timbers have been used somewhere on OI and thus a sample could be taken..I.E. supports from the triton shed etc.

just a thought.

i know very little about trees but im sure even a mildly experienced lumberjack would know and oak from a maple.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Postby Vincent on Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:01 pm

I was clutching at straws i know but the truro involvement on OI and the last reported date of the legendary oaks kind of fit.

however if you have seen stumps and can probe a little further that would be great.

the whole affair smacks of colombo, your just old enough to remember him, the shoody detective in the wreck of a car that just as he was about to walk away tapped his face and said` this may be a long shot but i have a hunch...` or was it steve McGarret` i have a hunch Danno`

im not sure.
Both went on to solve the case, a luxury we how ever do not have.

keep up the good work though it is much appreciated.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Postby acdonah on Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:47 pm

Vinny,

The remnants of trees linger for decades. I was watching a show on WWII and it was about these US Army Infantry that got their hands on some diamonds. Well...to make a long story short..they were in a foxhole during a battle in France and thought they might be caught, so they buried the diamonds in the foxhole. 60 + years later .... They found the foxhole only because the description of the foxhole was concerning a tree that had fallen over the foxhole from a grenade explosion. The same tree was still there like it had fallen only a few years ago. They found the diamonds...:)

The point is that some of these trees must still be around. However, if they have been cleared and used for supplies and/or carted off, then the stumps should definitely be there. I think will find one of these mysterious trees. I'm still perplexed about the Maple tree though. How could it fool some many ppl?? People from a time that tree identification was a skill widely known especially in that area of the world. Strange.

acd
acdonah
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Bonnie on Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:38 am

Correct me if I am wrong here......RRD2 sent into the lab 1 item. then he sent in an additional item of his own collection. then N4 sent for lab testing an item via RRD2.

so which item is the analysis really for?

I am waiting to hear further info on whether this is item2 or item 3.

i think it is either item 2 (RRD2 item) (Hopefully)

or you know what else I think?!

ok, it could be a type of maple. we need the actual data to determine if it is a species of maple and where would there be living trees just like it in the world today. I like hear that from the lab person.

I hope somebody will stay with this issue.

If not. I am going be really unhappy about it.

Thank you for your hard work and efforts N4 to solve the mystery for us all.

B
Bonnie
Future Tour Guide

Postby RRD2 on Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:41 pm

Bonnie wrote:Correct me if I am wrong here......RRD2 sent into the lab 1 item. then he sent in an additional item of his own collection. then N4 sent for lab testing an item via RRD2.

so which item is the analysis really for?

I am waiting to hear further info on whether this is item2 or item 3.

i think it is either item 2 (RRD2 item) (Hopefully)

or you know what else I think?!

ok, it could be a type of maple. we need the actual data to determine if it is a species of maple and where would there be living trees just like it in the world today. I like hear that from the lab person.

I hope somebody will stay with this issue.

If not. I am going be really unhappy about it.

Thank you for your hard work and efforts N4 to solve the mystery for us all.

B

It is confusing, Bonnie, as we have several samples that we are working with. The first sample sent was an artifact recovered from the South Shore. It is one of three different samples that I have which we would like to test. This South Shore sample was really a "test run", to see just how the CWAR worked. The results came back for a species of tree common to N.S..

The second sample that I sent was provided to me . This sample was taken from what is/was thought to be one of the "original Oak" trees on the island. The results that came back are posted above, and once again, it appears that it is a species common to the maritimes.

We are still working on this issue - perhaps more now than ever before. We should have new samples from Oak Island to send very shortly to better understand this "Oak tree" business. Additionally, I have two wood artifacts left which were recovered in the 60's to submit, but will wait pending a definitive answer on the Oaks. I can only send four samples in per calendar year and we have used one last year and one this year.

We will post additional thoughts and proposals once we can reach them. Needless to say, it is just like this mystery to throw a curve ball when you least expect it.... :roll:

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Bonnie on Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:21 pm

RRD2:
January 20th...
...The package is away by Priority Mail as of today, Friday morning. Hopefully, Alex will be able to give us a detailed analysis. Since I have requested as many tests that they allow, it may take a full six weeks to receive a response, but it all depends on how busy they are in the lab..
http://forum.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/vi ... sc&start=7

Fri Nov 04, 2005
...I am in the process of preparing the other samples. ....
http://forum.oakislandtreasure.co.uk/vi ... c&start=14
Bonnie
Future Tour Guide

Postby RRD2 on Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:21 pm

I don't understand what you mean by these posts, Bonnie, but for additional clarification, here goes...

I requested as many tests as they allow on the one sample submitted. This included all microscopy, grain analysis, pH and other chemical and infared tests, with specific mention of subspecies and hybrid analysis.
There are many tests that they can perform, but we still can submit only so many samples per calendar year - at least for free. They have not been specific with regard to absolute analysis, so I prepared a 15 page report to accompany the last submission.

Remember, these folks are doing this for free. They typically work on finished wood products like antique furniture, not chunks of dead tree stumps and blocks of wood buried in Canada for centuries. They also don't return samples, but since I have sent them a check (which they returned both times) and we are a non profit group, they allowed us the courtesy and paid for the postage (certified priority mail) both times.

With regard to preparation of other samples, once again, I have three different pieces of wood that were recovered during excavation on the island. We have sent one. I have not sent the other two because, in my opinion, the identification of the Oak trees takes precedence and is more important. Could I send one more artifact to them in the meantime? Yes, but what if it is needed for the Oak tree analysis? We have used one already with questionable results. We may need the other three.

I still need to prepare the other two samples further. What does this mean? I need to photograph each piece and post images on the OIRG photo site for everyone to view and to determine what has been altered by virtue of these tests. I also need to measure and weigh each piece, since they will ultimately be sent to the OITS for display if they so desire.

If you have specific questions, Bonnie, please ask them. This is your research group. If you have suggestions or concerns, please detail them for us so that we may address them as a team.

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby RRD2 on Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:25 pm

Thanks for the excellent work,
Hopefully we will have results that will contrast with what we already have.

How would high levels of mercury in the water table affect the growth of trees? Are other contaminants present which would cause these anomalies? Do hybrids elsewhere exhibit similar qualities?

I have seen "bird's eye" Maple. It is a quality which is highly regarded for fine instruments, furniture and such. Were the specimens that you acquired from what appeared to be "Oaks", and did you identify any Maple trees during your trip?

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

PreviousNext

Return to Oak Island Research Group