Chappell documents 1931

Forum members who wish to participate in the research of Oak Island related topics

Moderators: Jo, RRD2

Chappell documents 1931

Postby RRD2 on Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:11 pm

Two pages of a 1931 report concerning work done in the Chappell shaft and lateral tunnels have been added to the OIRG photo site under "documents". Once again, you will need to enlarge the image by placing the arrow at the lower right hand corner of the image and clicking on the icon when it appears.

This period of exploration was marked by difficult times. One worker had lost his life, and there were many injuries. Problems with water, soft clay, and timbering were constant. It is possible to see from the content of this report that there was also a high level of excitement in the quest.

It was an interesting chapter in the Oak Island exploration. Additional documents from this period will be added regularly, but they will replace existing ones in an effort to save space.

http://www.msnusers.com/oakisland

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby D'Arcy on Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:58 pm

RRD2:

The 1931 letter to M.R. Chappell bears no signature. Do you know who wrote it?

D'Arcy
(OITS member)
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby RRD2 on Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:34 pm

D'Arcy:

My guess would be Blair.

The correspondence of October, 1931 was written to R.R. Chappell from the Western Shore. It was written first in pencil, then typed, with copies going in some cases to M.R. Chappell.

M.R. is mentioned visiting the island often, and in one case M.R. left the island for Halifax for a doctor appointment. The author states that Mrs. Blair suggested that the pain that M.R. had was due to his teeth, to which he wrote:
"...and I could have kicked myself off the island, to think that I had not given it a thought and spoke to him before he left, but doubless the doctor in Halifax will see to that."

There are other inferences that lead me to believe that it is Blair throughout the reports, but there's a chance it could be someone else. R.R. Chappell would be Renwick Chappell...correct?

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby D'Arcy on Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:51 pm

RRD2:

Yeah. Blair is who I would have guessed, since he held the TTL at the time and to whom Chappell would have been reporting. Renwick Chappell would be MR's uncle (Willaim's brother) and was also involved in the 1931 dig.

D'Arcy
(OITS member)
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby RRD2 on Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:04 pm

The Chappell documents have been deleted to make space available for additional pictures and documents.

Other pages from the 1931 Oak Island reports will be added as time and available space permits.

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Return to Oak Island Research Group