OIRG photo site

Forum members who wish to participate in the research of Oak Island related topics

Moderators: Jo, RRD2

Re: Wood

Postby Ken on Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:20 pm

Tank04 wrote:IF this item is a genuine artifact of pre 1795 significance, it is very important, but I suppose somewhere along the line, it will have to be sampled to prove it so.

If you are referring to sampling for the purpose of carbon dating, I agree that it may have to be carefully and properly sampled at some point. But I would think that an expert taking a sample for that purpose would be mindful of the proper way to do so in order to preserve the piece as much as is possible.

Ken
Ken
Digging for Diamonds

Postby RRD2 on Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:34 pm

Very well...we will leave well enough alone.

I hope that we can find a lab that will date these materials for us. It seems that the first order of business would be to verify that it dates to the time of the originators.

If we are able to find a reputable lab for this purpose that will help us (as in free...), I'll send it immediately.

There is another piece of wood that deserves attention also. I will try to make an image of it available soon. It is much more deteriorated than this one, and it actually looks as if it could be from the 1500's. Looks can be deceiving, of course, and tests will tell the story...

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby GrailKnight7 on Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:14 pm

Tank mentioned:

"If it was found in Smith's Cove, and your father did not conduct deep excavations there, just bulldozing, it was fairly close to the surface."

I don't want to rain on the parade but if it was found in Smith's Cove then couldn't it have washed up there from just about anywhere at any time? If the object was found anywhere on or near the beach then I don't see how we can definitively say that it was part of the pre-1795 Oak Island work, regardless of carbon dating.

RDII, do you have any further information as to exactly where it was found? Do you know if it was buried or not?

Scott
(OITS Member)
GrailKnight7
Digging for Diamonds

Postby RRD2 on Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:34 pm

This piece, as well as the other, were buried.

This piece was recovered from an excavation by dozer work. It came from an area near where the junction of the drain system was thought to be, inland from the cove.

I wish that I had more detail than that...but at least there is a possibility that it came from "virgin ground", since very little work was done there, even when dad and Restall worked together for that short period of time.

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Mad Davy Kidd on Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:43 pm

RRD2,

Can you tell me if it has a "triangular notch" as seen at the top of the hole in your picture, on the opposite side as well - perhaps at the bottom of the hole again as viewed in your photo?

I was browsing through some sites on ship's rigging, and found the following image:

on this page:

http://www.all-model.com/wolfram/PAGE93.html

And thought that it bears some similarity to item #6, called a "brace block".

I would assume for the rope to pass diagonally through the block as shown it would need to be notched on both sides.

Dave
Mad Davy Kidd
Digging on Oak Island

Postby RRD2 on Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:06 pm

Dave:

The piece is not notched on each side. The "reverse" side of the hole is fairly circular. The side with the triangular cut has the area beveled almost all the way through to the other side, but if you were looking at the other side, you wouldn't know that the triangular section of the hole was there.

Thanks for your observation in any event...I feel that we're getting somewhere!

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby acdonah on Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:30 pm

RRD2,

The rope could've been knotted on the the unnotched side. The notched side would still allow the rope more freedom to move.

acd
acdonah
Digging for Diamonds

South Shore wood

Postby RRD2 on Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:38 pm

Images of the wood from the South Shore are now available on the OIRG photo site. These may be viewed in "documents", as there was difficulty uploading them in "pictures".

Two pictures are available. You will note that the wood has a crescent shape at the end, which could be the remains of a trunnel or dowel hole. Also, the grain may be clearer on this piece.

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Mad Davy Kidd on Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:17 am

RRD2,

The Center for Wood Anatomy Research will identify a maximum of five wood samples per calendar year as a free public service to U.S. citizens.

See page here:

http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/WoodID/idfact.html

And their home page here:

http://www2.fpl.fs.fed.us/

Of course, this would be destructive to some extent.

I also found a great resource for pictures of different kinds of wood here:

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Of course these photos are mostly fresh, planed wood without the degradation of being buried for several hundred years ;-)

Dave
Mad Davy Kidd
Digging on Oak Island

Postby RRD2 on Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:46 am

Magnificent, Dave!

I'm on it....

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

PreviousNext

Return to Oak Island Research Group