OIRG photo site

Forum members who wish to participate in the research of Oak Island related topics

Moderators: Jo, RRD2

Postby acdonah on Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:58 am

I thought about Ash also. RRD2 said it was heavy for its size. Anybody else think it could be ASH?

acd
acdonah
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Mad Davy Kidd on Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:11 am

acdonah,

RRD2 actually said:

The wood weighs 215 grams, and isn't especially dense or heavy for the size.

(bold is my emphasis)

I still wanna see some grain :-)

Dave
Mad Davy Kidd
Digging on Oak Island

Postby badinfluence63 on Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:46 am

If I remember correctly the most represented tree on the island now is spruce.

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby Bonnie on Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:07 am

this is the best thread yet! i am really enthused about the shared researching :)

bd163, hi :), those spruce trees seem to have been growing mainly after 1931. thats what old photos show.
Bonnie
Future Tour Guide

Postby RRD2 on Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:46 am

The photo site is extremely limited for image size. I would like to post some close-up pictures, but they all exceed the allowable space. I even had some difficulty uploading pics of porcelain, so they went in "documents" for the time being. (I am much more talented with a fishing rod than these cursed machines....)

K_O...did you receive the image from me recently? Was it any clearer?

It is possible to remove a few millimeters from the surface of this piece of wood with sandpaper or a sharp blade, to expose the grain for a better view. I am somewhat hesitant to do this, but will if it is deemed necessary to identify it. What do you folks think??

A small section of exposed wood could then be photographed or scanned and then enlarged for everyone to see.

I am also at a loss for the purpose of this piece. To the best of my knowledge, it was not cut from a larger piece, so it was designed for a specific task.

If there are any suggestions, I am all ears... :D

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby acdonah on Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:14 pm

RRD2,

It's not very big (7 1/2 " by 5 1/4" by 1 1/16" thick). How big is the hole? Could it have been used for a rope to go through it. IMO....The triangle piece taken out of it suggests a rope would have gone through the hole and toward the cut out angle. This cut would reduce the friction and the wear and tear of the rope as it was pulled through the hole at a certain angle. I hope this makes sense.

acd
acdonah
Digging for Diamonds

Postby RRD2 on Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:39 pm

Interesting thought, acondah...

The hole is about 2", so a rope of reasonable thickness could pass through. The notch is positioned appropriately also. This would have to be a part of something else, of course, but what function it served is still a mystery. The cuts inside the hole are still rough, so apparently it wasn't in use for long, if a rope passed through it...

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Ken on Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:40 pm

RRD2 wrote:It is possible to remove a few millimeters from the surface of this piece of wood with sandpaper or a sharp blade, to expose the grain for a better view. I am somewhat hesitant to do this, but will if it is deemed necessary to identify it. What do you folks think??

Hi, Robert,

I'm certainly not an expert on the care, handling and feeding of historical artifacts, but I would encourage you not to tamper with that piece of wood in any way. I would think that the altering of it in this way could be seen as destruction of the integrity of the artifact. I may not be wording that right, but I know you will catch my drift.

Just my gut feeling, mind you, so I will be interested to hear what others have to say - I have no problem whatsoever with those more knowledgeable in such things telling me that I'm full of malarkey.

Ken
Ken
Digging for Diamonds

Postby RRD2 on Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:01 pm

My gut feeling also, Ken...

It has been in its original state since 1965.

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Wood

Postby Tank04 on Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:10 pm

RDII,

I'm siding with ken on this one. Don't cut it unless absolutely necessary and you are lined up with an absolute expert at your side. In fact, let him/her make the cut.

If it has to be done, make sure it is done on the side with the less attractive exposure to allow for display someday. I'm working hard on getting an interpretive centre and this is the type of stuff we want in it.

IF this item is a genuine artifact of pre 1795 significance, it is very important, but I suppose somewhere along the line, it will have to be sampled to prove it so.

I was wondering if the hole might be the results of a drill passing through the wood at some time in the past. The rough edge spoken of might be where the drill first encountered the wood, then in a jerky fashion, pierced the wood then went through it.

If it was found in Smith's Cove, and your father did not conduct deep excavations there, just bulldozing, it was fairly close to the surface. Restall did some drilling there in some of his holes with a portable drill laterally.

We both know, that Smith's Cove has belched forth some interesting finds.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

PreviousNext

Return to Oak Island Research Group