OIRG photo site

Forum members who wish to participate in the research of Oak Island related topics

Moderators: Jo, RRD2

OIRG photo site

Postby RRD2 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:52 pm

OIRG members:

Please visit the website below to view photographs and other information related to our studies. At this time, there are photos of wood and an inscription available. Additional pictures of Oak Island, artifacts, and anomalies will be added regularly:

http://www.msnusers.com/oakisland

Thanks,
RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Photos

Postby Tank04 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:36 pm

RDII,

As you know, I have seen the photo of the stone before. I am still no closer to understanding it's significance than I was two years ago.

I have often described this to myself as a "Mushroom" shape, but I have heard it referred to as a ship too. It will be interesting to hear what others have to say. Can you offer up where it was found, I seem to recall it was on the South Shore, correct? I think I know where it is now too, maybe.

As for the drilled wood, that may pose a simpler explanation, especially if it came from the Money Pit area during the excavations/discoveries of 1965 - 66. What I would like to know is, what is the diameter of the hole, the photograph shows no scale. Do you know at what depth it was found.

...and other information related to our studies.
Where is this other information, I could not find it. Hopefully, you will alert us when you post a new anomaly.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Postby RRD2 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:59 pm

Tank:

Thanks for your response. This is the same photo of the stone that I showed you a year or two ago. We may know more about the inscription soon, thanks to the members.

I will add information and images as the research develops, and will post a notice on this thread whenever something new is added. This was just created today, so there is much yet to add. In addition, there have been problems with the uploads.

The piece of wood was recovered at Smith's Cove. Thanks for pointing out the lack of scale. The dimensions are as follows:

7 1/2 inches by 5 1/4 inches by 1 1/16 inches thick.

The inside diameter of the hole averages 1 3/4 inches.

And, as you have pointed out, it would be nice to know exactly what function it served as well as the type of wood.

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Keeled_over on Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:51 pm

RRD2,

The pic of the wood is out of focus or the resolution is poor. I can't see any grain. With a sample such as this, it would be hard to tell without actually viewing it physically. I know this isn't what you want to hear, maybe try using a better camera.

Regards,

K_O
Member of the Oak Island Tourism Society
www.oakislandsociety.ca
Keeled_over
Digging for Diamonds

Postby acdonah on Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:54 pm

Hi RRD2, Tank

I found this interesting angle while looking around at symbols and the meanings of different types of symbols throughout history. The symbols could be a monogram from the middle to late seventeenth century with the use of..."IHD" Not the HD or CH. I guess its all in how you look at it. See below for a much better explanation than mine...:)

Most of the Christ monograms used in Christian symbolism belong to this structural group. The monograms usually are composed by the initials of Christ in their Greek form (XP corresponding to KR in the Latin alphabet). Here, the X has been turned 45 degrees to form a cross.
Another kind of Christ monograms, common in the seventeenth century, and used by the Jesuits in the Societies of Jesus and as a political/military symbol during the Thirty Years war, is 1752. The stylized letters I, H and S can be interpreted as Iesus Hominem Salvator (Jesus, the saviour of man), or as Iesus Habemus Socium (we have Jesus as our companion).

Here is the link> http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/53/5341.html

IHD though......I don't know what the "D" would be. Anybody know some Latin? This is my next angle..:)

acd
Last edited by acdonah on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acdonah
Digging for Diamonds

Postby RRD2 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:04 pm

Thanks, K_O:

I posted pictures that I currently had on my computer. This was done in a hurry, really, so that there would be at least an image or two to look at.

I have a decent digital camera, so I will take some better pictures with close-ups as required and post them on the photo site. The only limitation will be the size of the file to upload.

Thanks for taking a look, and as soon as I can, I will replace them with higher resolution and detail.

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Items

Postby Tank04 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:17 pm

RDII,

Sure would be nice to have these items at next year's Explore Oak Island Days. I know the rock is out of the question (duh!) but the piece of wood should be quite portable.

We have some talented OITS members with photographic skills and the desire to research too. A hands on examination would be a good thing. I can provide a secure environmaet for display too.

If Dan or any other old time treasure hunters are there, they may be able to pass along an educated opinion.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Postby RRD2 on Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:22 pm

Count on it Tank...

I will bring everything that I can to EOID '06. Many of these things will all fit in a small briefcase.

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby acdonah on Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:00 am

Thanks for the heads up. I found a few possibilities.

deus : god.
devotio : (Christian) piety, devotion, zeal.

acd
acdonah
Digging for Diamonds

EOID2006

Postby Tank04 on Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:29 pm

RDII,

Count on it Tank...

We will talk as the time draws near.

Does the piece of wood, with the hole in it, have any markings on it that would indicate it may have been in close contact with metal at one time(rust stains, metal fragments, etc.).
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Next

Return to Oak Island Research Group