Oak Island Research Group

Forum members who wish to participate in the research of Oak Island related topics

Moderators: Jo, RRD2

Postby acdonah on Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:15 pm

Hi opus,

Well met. I'm sure RRD2 will find something for you to do....:)

acd
acdonah
Digging for Diamonds

Postby RRD2 on Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:51 pm

Great to hear from you, Opus!

I have a few pounds of the "blue clay"....

Is there anything that we would like to know about this stuff that hasn't already been determined?

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby RRD2 on Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:40 pm

What I know of the blue clay is only what has been written in the published works on Oak Island - O'Connor, et al...

Some significance must have been given to the stuff for RDI to have brought some samples back from N.S. - other than the normal curiosity of a geologist, otherwise it would have been "leaverite" as we say...

If there are tests and determinations beyond what has already been published, then I am all for it ... Ideas anyone? :roll:

Opus:
Are you planning to attend EOID '06?
I will be bringing much of this junk with me, and also plan to bring Mr. C. F. Martin along...the Tankster and I have been planning a jam for some time now, courtesy of Keith's...

RDII
Last edited by RRD2 on Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby RRD2 on Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:39 pm

Please see the new thread.."Blue Clay"..

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby badinfluence63 on Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:59 pm

RRDII,GK7,MDK,D'Arcy,

The AAT and the Oak Island Treasure Company as listed in the alledged afadavit has come to a dead end for me. I was fortunate to have enlisted many archivist in Massachusetts in general and Boston in particular and all have come up empty handed(with the exception of a news article that hasn't been posted here before, written March 2, 1975). I am unable to post it here because I don't know how. It won't cut and paste, probably because it is an attachment. If anyone would like to see it send me your email address and I will send it.

Here are some of the comments made by some of the archivist who were helping:

Dear Mr. Henderson,

After reading through the materials you submitted and the Website referenced, it would appear that you are trying to find

“the office of the Company is Room 25, No. 4 Liberty Square, Boston, Mass., where all further information desired may be obtained.”

It’s unclear from the materials exactly what year this information was supposed to be at this location, as the Affidavit states that Adams Tupper worked in the summers of 1850-51 and 1863 and the affidavit was filed in 1893. Unfortunately, the City Directories for all that time frame do not have a cross reference by street address, they list companies by name. Therefore, I cannot determine the name of the company from the street address. There is no reference to the name of the company in the materials you supplied.

If you are simply interested in more information about the treasure of Oak Island, there are many books and newspaper articles you can use. I’ve attached an article from the New York Times from 1975 showing that the treasure had still not been found. You can also look for books in your local library, or, perhaps, in Lebanon. A couple titles are: The money pit mystery: the costliest treasure hunt ever London, Tom Stacey Ltd, 1972 or The money pit / by D'Arcy O'Connor a New York : Coward, McCann & Geoghegan, c1978.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Sincerely,

Marta Pardee-King,
Curator of Social Sciences
Boston Public Library
PO Box 286
Boston, MA 02117
617-859-2261
mpardeeking@bpl.org

Dear Mr. Henderson,

The City Archives does not have any records of private companies.
Business
incorporations are done by the State. I would suggest contacting the Massachusetts State Archives for information on this company. The incorporation papers may give some information on what may have happened to this company. The website for the State Archives is http://www.sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcidx.htm.

Sincerely,

Kristen Swett
Assistant Archivist

Your email to the MA Archives was forwarded to my attention. We find no
record of Adams A Tupper oath November 23, 1893 before Clerk Ladd of the
Framingham District Court. He may have made an entry at the time in his
Notary book but we do not show any collection of Notorial records for the
Framingham District Court. The office may have been located at No. 4
Liberty Square as of 1893. However it appears not to be there any longer.
You may want to trace it thru Boston city directories to determine how long the company was headquartered at the Liberty Square address and/or when it dissolved or moved. Any surviving records of the company may have been deposited in a local repository by the owners and/or their heirs.
Sincerely,
Elizabeth Bouvier
Head of Archives
MA Supreme Judicial Court

Dear Mr. Henderson,

Thank you for your inquiry. In the future, please use the archives@sec.state.ma.us email to submit your queries with us.

The company papers of the Oak Island Treasure Company are not held by the Massachusetts State Archives. The Massachusetts Archives is the custodian of the permanent, public, non-current records of the Commonwealth. We do not hold papers of private companies or individuals.

A search of NUCMC (the National Union Catalog of Manuscript Collections) turned up nothing for the company or Tupper. You can search NUCMC at:
http://www.loc.gov/coll/nucmc/
I also checked the online catalog of the Massachusetts Historical Society and found nothing there. The company's papers might have been taken by one of the partners and deposited with other family papers in a local historical society or another repository. You might check with the Freemasons as they seem to have been involved with the project throughout the years.

If you have other questions, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Fauxsmith.
Reference Archivist
Massachusetts State Archives
220 Morrissey Blvd.
Boston, MA 02125
617-727-2816

Any other ideas?

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby RRD2 on Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:47 pm

Bravo for the effort, BI63...~!

There may be other avenues to explore. If I have any good ideas on how to approach this, I'll post them here.

I believe that others in the group and on the forum will do the same - there's strength in numbers!

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Attempt

Postby Tank04 on Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:33 pm

BI63,

Good try my friend.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Postby badinfluence63 on Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:03 am

RRD2,Tank,

Thanks for the moral support. I truly was trying to vindicate my extreme lack of research skills and succeed in disclosing said AAT avadafit. Short of wearing out my welcome I exercised every recourse I could think of. I didn't include the short patiented emails from other archivists that I received.

I marvel in the success of others like GK7, D'Arcy, RRD2 and many others.

Sincerely,

BI63
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby D'Arcy on Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:44 pm

BI63:

What you've been up to these past few weeks re Addams Tupper is what researchers and writers who look for first-hand accounts and primary evidence call "digging for the truth". (Anything else is simply parroting someone else's words, theories, or so-called findings). So I admire your tenacity, and urge you not to be discouraged by dead ends. Hell, all of us on this site would have given up by now if we'd let dead-end trails get to us. Keep up the good work!

D'Arcy
(OITS member; who's run into a lot of investigative dead ends in his time)
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby Tank04 on Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:36 pm

D'Arcy,

OITS member; who's run into a lot of investigative dead ends in his time)

You can say that again brother. :wink:
Last edited by Tank04 on Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

PreviousNext

Return to Oak Island Research Group