Oak Island Research Group

Forum members who wish to participate in the research of Oak Island related topics

Moderators: Jo, RRD2

Oak Island Research Group

Postby RRD2 on Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:48 pm

I would like to propose the formation of the OIRG, or Oak Island Research Group. (Sounds like Aarrrghhh - sorry....)

The group would be open to forum members who wish to participate in the research of Oak Island related topics. Members would work together to research different O.I. related topics, network with others in the scientific and academic fields and when completed, publish the data on the forum and possibly in a newsletter, either separately or through the OITS, (should the OITS be amenable..).

Programs for individual and group study are numerous and include many of the topics that we have been discussing on the forum....for example:

1. China shard study and dating.
2. De Vere / Frobisher, Shakespeare and O.I..
3. Geology of the island & Mahone Bay.
4. Artifact studies.
5. History of the quest in print & film.
6. Study of possible candidates for the originators / engineers.
7. Theory of the motivation of the originators.
8. Study of the island - trees, anomalies, and markers..

....and on and on.....

Every individual with an interest in this enigma has something to offer, either by virtue of their expertise, knowledge, or association with others in society. What can be gained by working together as teams would be immeasurable in understanding this mystery and informing others in a position to affect the status of the island and its' future.

This need not be a great deal of work. We enjoy it anyway, and there are many on the forum that have done some excellent research already. What is missing is a cohesive effort that would result in an un-fragmented presentation of fact and theory.

Are there any suggestions, ideas and thoughts about this proposal?

Would the OITS like to weigh in...Tank???

Thanks,
RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

OIRG

Postby Tank04 on Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:42 pm

RDII,

This would be uncharted territory for the OITS and to be frank with you, I don't think it is necessary to go through the society at this point in time.

There is no reason the Society could not be helpful with our web site to publish information under "Scribes Corner" or to be a contact group that may offer advantages Jo's site may not be able to, like the charitable status for example, under certain conditions.

I am however interested in your proposal and would offer what I have to the effort. Lets see what others have to say.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Postby RRD2 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:05 am

Thank you, Tank...

The Scribe's Corner sounds good. Some topics can appear on the forum as well.

New areas of study would be a good beginning, so as not to intrude on the years of independent research that some members have already completed. Many newer ideas have been brought forth on the forum for discussion, such as..

Study of the mysterious Oak trees.

Tracing the origin of coconut fiber.

Examination of artifacts: China, Heart shaped stone, etc..

Early history of the search.

etc...

If there are members that have reached barriers in their own areas of study and are willing to share their findings, then it can only be enhanced by others willing to assist.

This is essentially what has been happening on the forum, except that threads are lost and discussions sometimes lose continuity before conclusions are reached.

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Ishmael on Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:42 am

RDII,

Love the idea, not sure how to implement it ATM. I would point out that this very endeavor is taking place at another site, but if I mention a name I expect I'll be flamed for heresy again. However, if research into facts and primary sources is desired, an online database-type system is probably the best way to go, some sort of secure "bank" of topics, references, and primary source material that all can look at, analyze, and then comment on or discuss in an adjoining forum. Seriously, this is exactly what someone else has already started and there is a ton of material already there for all to see and discuss. The problem I've seen people having with it is the attitude that comes across at that site. However, if one actually wants to study primary material and discuss facts objectively, then attitudes should be ignored in the pursuit of knowledge.

What you're proposing, when done objectively, is a great way to eliminate the personal from a debate - the facts should speak for themselves and need not be "aided" by personal digs, comments, or popularity-winning jokes. Basically, if someone disagrees with a conclusion, they would be able to read the primary source, cite it, possibly bring in new primary material and cite it, and make a logical case. But it's not a process all are willing to use. Human nature seems to draw us toward making discussions personal, and that is what a scientist needs to avoid. I say, bring on the science, but be prepared for a totally different kind of environment from what we have here.

Again, this sort of system is already in use elsewhere, and if people would look beyond the personal or simply ignore it for a few minutes, they'd see the valuable cache of documentation being offered publicly. I'm not talking about blogs and articles and forum arguments, I'm talking about objective documentation that all could use to research any facet of Oak Island, and contribute to. If people can't stomach working with what some consider "the other side," then there's nothing wrong with copying the idea and making another Wiki site. The more documentation that's out there, the better.

Sorry if this post sparks a hijacking of the topic (not my intent and I ask people to stay on RDII's topic), I really just wanted to say great idea, and it's already being done.

Trev
Ishmael
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Bonnie on Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:45 am

i do get tired of researching. it isnt fun work all of the time. sometimes it is discouraging and easy to quit it. but some how a driving force keeps one going. i am interested in anything that can help me prove that sir francis drake sunk something religiously important under oak island.

if someone requests help in researching something and i can grasp a concept of how it could effect oak island, i am happy to help.

well, let me just say..i can not research every area. i will have to pass on some. kidd is out of my realm of wanting to research. so are atlantian spirits putting a big rouge dragon serpent over the island.

if you dont mind someone researching that is open minded and adds feelings to the research. then i can help.
b
Bonnie
Future Tour Guide

OIRG

Postby RRD2 on Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:29 pm

Thanks, Bonnie, for your offer to assist. Your efforts in the interpretation project have been most welcome, and you offer a unique perspective to this work in particular.

There will be other opportunities to participate, mostly in additional interpretation and analysis, and it shouldn't require a great deal of research on your part.

It would appear that members are somewhat hesitant to assist with this opportunity, which is okay, since I am sure that we can accomplish a great deal with just a handful of folks...

Thanks again,
RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Ishmael on Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:08 pm

RDII,

Regarding the apparent hesitation of posters to join in on this, the general numbers of posts in the last week have been down, as far as true OI-related stuff, so maybe it's just that everyone's busy or on vacation.

Or, and this is just a thought I had about this topic, perhaps many here are reading and posting because this is a hobby or idle curiosity and the thought of having to put real effort in is not appealing. I border on that class of people, though I don't mind putting in a little effort ;) And we know that some others here are outright treasure hunters, some of whom have secrets that they will not reveal. I doubt they feel obliged to contribute research effort for the benefit of others they might see as competitors. In addition, some of these treasure hunters have put in a good deal of their own research and may not feel more is all that necessary, or that this effort will take away from their own searches.

I may be wrong with my speculation. Perhaps everyone is just away from the internet this week and more posts will come soon. We'll just have to see. One other thing to consider is that several of the most prominent posters here have confessed to limited computer literacy. Maybe we all want to help but nobody really knows the nuts and bolts of how to put together the kind of site needed?

cheers,

Trev
Ishmael
Digging for Diamonds

Postby RRD2 on Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:11 pm

Trev:

I am not suggesting a new website at all, nor am I suggesting that this site be changed in any way...

For the results of our research, I propose that we enter the information in the Scribe's Corner, and possibly as different topics here on the forum.

A few members have assisted in photo interpretation already, and when we are able to put together a few theories and conclusions, the results will be posted here on the forum, along with the image.

Some of the research topics that I listed above are just suggestions. Much of the research that I intend will be based on film, photos and artifacts that I currently have. I feel that time is of the essence, and with the assistance of a few members, a better understanding of this mystery can be obtained from things that have been in boxes and files for 40 years.

A good example is the china shard dating. I probably couldn't do this myself, but with the assistance of a noted member, I believe that we will have some interesting information soon.

The same can be said about coconut fiber. I have some good samples of this also, but I am unfamiliar with the various tests that are available to date, identify, and possibly trace the origins of this "dunnage".

Lastly, I believe that many forum regulars are just busy and haven't had the time to respond yet. There are some intelligent and gifted individuals that post here regularly that have already done some amazing research on O.I. related matters. What I am proposing is relatively simple in comparison...

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

OIRG

Postby Tank04 on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:46 pm

RDII and Trevelyan,

I suspect we are experiencing a yearly lull and natural ebb and flow in postings, although we have not heard from Ken in a very long time. Hmmmm.

I'm not sure what form this new idea will take, but like I said, I for one am willing to do my bit.

The other site you mentioned Trev, is not user friendly nor open, and the administrator will simply cancel your access if it gets beyond his personal tolerance levels. Fair enough, it is his site after all, free and clear. I understand there will be yet another OI related web site in the very near future, but one of the people involved who I know, is iron clad secretive about it.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Postby RRD2 on Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:36 am

I hope that it is just a natural ebb for the forum, Tank.

Thank you for your continued assistance - without it, we wouldn't have even gotten off the ground.

I envision good things for the OIRG. It may take some time to develop, but ultimately there will be fresh images, data and commentary available on a non-restricted thread for everyone to view. The more that is accomplished initially, the better the response will be in the future. To this end, I intend to do my part to see it happen.

There is no need to debate the various websites on this thread. This discussion, however valid, can be done elsewhere on the forum. For purposes of the OIRG, I would like to hear from members that would like to participate in various aspects of this mystery. We now have four people interested, and some already active in projects.

It is informal at this stage, but promises to get better. For those already working on their own theories, participation can only enhance their knowledge. I ask for nothing in return (except a few more hints from Cerris.. :roll: ) Some things I can promise - it will be new, interesting, and very rewarding.

RDII
RRD2
Digging for Diamonds

Next

Return to Oak Island Research Group