A Call For Contacts (And a Yodel For Help From Mrs. Scribe)

This is the place to discuss any non-Oak Island topics - any discussions which have veered off topic may find themselves residing here.

Moderators: Jo, divemedic

Postby D'Arcy on Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:09 pm

TS:

I sympathize with Mrs. Scribe's predicament. Here's a nasty solution if MDK's doesn't work. Is her antagonist's computer in the office where your wife works? And can she get to it (or have an ally at work get to it)? She obviously won't have the entrance code to get into the e-mail box. But if she has access to said computer why not get into the system and erase its memory or destroy its hard drive.

Oops, I just realized that if it's Hotmail or something like that the antagonist can still retreive her mail from another computer. Sorry. As MDK can confirm, I am the last person to consult regarding computerese.

As for finding a publisher, I know a bit more about that. But I have to tell you that getting a first book published (especially fiction) is almost impossible to do without an agent; and even then, it's still very difficult. Most publishers today (in the U.S. or Canada certainly) won't even bother looking at a manuscript that comes in "over the transom" from an unknown writer. So I'd suggest you find yourself an agent (they usually take 10 to 15 percent of your royalties, if and when the book gets published).

I'd suggest you go to your local magazine or book store and pick up a copy of Writer's Digest monthly magazine. In it you'll find all kinds of names and addresses of literary agents to whom you can submit your MS. They, at least have direct pipelines to editors at publishing houses. And, if the agent likes your novel, he or she would know the best prospective editor to send it to. However, beware of agent ads that offer to read your MS "for a fee". They are usually scam artists.

Sorry I can't help you any more than that.

D'Arcy
(OITS member)
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby Mad Davy Kidd on Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:56 pm

D'Arcy wrote:TS:

I sympathize with Mrs. Scribe's predicament. Here's a nasty solution if MDK's doesn't work. Is her antagonist's computer in the office where your wife works? And can she get to it (or have an ally at work get to it)? She obviously won't have the entrance code to get into the e-mail box. But if she has access to said computer why not get into the system and erase its memory or destroy its hard drive.

Oops, I just realized that if it's Hotmail or something like that the antagonist can still retreive her mail from another computer. Sorry. As MDK can confirm, I am the last person to consult regarding computerese.

I will confirm that ;-)

Most mail systems hold the mail on a server at least until the user checks it, so you can blow the computer to smithereens but the e-mail is still there on the server, waiting patiently to be read.

If you could log on to the person's computer and mailbox by either guessing the password or (I think someone else said it elsewhere), maybe you're lucky enough that it's on a post-it note or the monitor... or someone else knows it the password, then you could access the mailbox and delete the message.

Dave
Mad Davy Kidd
Digging on Oak Island

Postby Bonnie on Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:39 pm

i am just popping in here and i havent had chance read each individual reply to you and your family ts.

but from what i have read. i offer up a couple suggestions. just to mull over.

print out the original letter your wife sent out. try to examine it non partial.
if it is as grave a situation as you believe. she may consider taking it directly to her employer and discussing it now instead of later. there is nothing at all wrong with be honest, upfront, undestanding conditons of letter she sent/wrote.

as a manager. i will tell you people respect employees much more who will tackle what ever problems occur in the work place straight up.

BUT, i do not know the complete essence of the letter written. so i only offer up something to mull over.

being upfront and honest is always harder. but it is always the only way to go.

i feel for you all.

you can also do some homework on the actual medical benefit package. where i live the benefits last at least a month after leaving a work place. and they have a clause that you can still purchase the insurance at a higher rate.

who could know. this could be a blessing in disguise. try keep your chin up. be positive and dont let them see you sweat.

be yourself.
acknowledge the problem
and most of all have faith that all things work in our lives toward a common good. no matter how difficult they seem.

i will start researching book publishers for your type of book. it sure is an excellant book. its great. 1st i will find oprahs book clubs type list and reduce the publishers down to which one seems to have the most money to take on a book of your type. and then i will research other popular books that are not into the da vinvi code subject heading. because they could be tantalized to get on that bandwagon and had not had a good book cross there table for it , yet.

as my life is ruled by my own (religous centered) intuition first. i am thinking of a penguin books or whom was the publisher for lionel fanthorpes books. i feel maybe those publishers would be good places to intial research too. or william mann and the labyrinth grail book he wrote, who published that book. these are older books. and it would be a good cross over to this type intrigue coming a new from the past.

I am sorry to hear of your situation. may it be short term. lead to nothing to worry about.

your friend, b
Bonnie
Future Tour Guide

Postby badinfluence63 on Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:02 am

TS,

Seems like you have wound up getting a number of choices for both issues. I was hoping would chime in. Rumor has it that he is a whizbang computer technologist. Although, and pardon if I'm off base...who would want to work for such a self serving, some what maniacal person anyways(its those self righteous ones is the worst. So high and friggin mighty can't see the splinter in your eye for the board in theirs).

Sometimes ya have to be pushed out of the nest.(1st favorite) When one door is closed..God opens another one.(2nd favorite one) Keep the faith every things gonna work out. Cliche' after cliche'...... But I can tell you I'm living proof that their true.

I can't count the times where I did just as Ken and Tank had described when telling an unreasonable employer to stuff it. My favorite was when I was cooking at a local bistro, I had been there for a year. I kept asking and asking to be given a chance at the expeditors station. Without being given a chance to give it a go i was always told "you're not ready". That didn't seem fair because its better to give a guy/gal a shot and if they fail its a no argument situation. But to say no without a go of it, well, seems not fair. Until I saw why.....the comely prep wench was zoomed past fry and sautee right to expeditor(she ended up being a major flop. She stayed in expeditor shortly and was promoted to kitchen manager at a nearby co-owned restaurant and flopped horribly there too) When I came in that Friday night(dreading the 5-600 plate nightat the sautee station) I went up to the kitchen manager and told him I had some good news and some bad news..which did he want first? He said he didn't care. So I said the bad news is I'm quitting. He said yeah he new. I said the bad news is I'm quitting right now. He was like you can't do that its a Friday night we'll be short on the line. I said you should of thought before you screwed me over for a date. I went home. Oh hell my wife was not happy. I was nervous but took a week off. At the first restaurant I applied to I got a job at 1.50 more an hour(so I was making5.50 an hour :lol: kidding . I am a top shelf chef and before I reluctantly left the cooking/restaurant phase of my life I was running the kitchen in a popular restaurant called the grill room in Grantham,NH in a community called Eastmans. Its on the web if you doubt me:

http://www.grillroom.net/ That my old boss Tom Adams. Great guy.

Here's the one I walked off of on Friday night:

http://www.mollysrestaurant.com/

Moral of the story TS and Mrs TS, when alls said and done all you have is your dignity, the values/standards that you live/die by and the insistence that you be treated that way by others. Good things happen to good people:

I know this sounds crude, but my belly tells me you two are decent people and you don't deserve this type of foolishness from people in authority who are supposed to set the standard of conduct.

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Smiling face

Postby Tank04 on Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:46 pm

TS,

Mrs. TS at least had a smile on her face this morning.

Tell her Uncle Tank says there is nothing on the face of this earth as pretty as the glow of a pregnant woman's smile.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Thanks For Evrything You Guys!

Postby TemplarScribe on Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:04 pm

Thank you one and all for your ideas, suggestions and kind thoughts.

Regarding the possibility of recalling the email: If the email had stayed internal, then yes, there'd be a number of different ways we could retrieve or abort that pesky message. Unfortunately, it's an out-of-building email to a completely different company. So her only hope is to convince the other lady's boss to delete it, an unlikely prospect.

bonnie wrote:i am just popping in here and i havent had chance read each individual reply to you and your family ts...but from what i have read. i offer up a couple suggestions. just to mull over...print out the original letter your wife sent out. try to examine it non partial.

This is what makes me laugh. See, the other lady, the accountant running roughshod on the day care, has been extremely unpleasant lately, going so far as to emptying specifically-allocated accounts (such as earmarked donations from parents, and dedicated grant programs) to pay for things she things the day care should pay for (like health care for their employees, even though thqat comes from the church!). Borderline illegal, IMHO. She then got a dressing-down from her boss, and she sent a sort-of appologetic email to Mrs. TS, although you could tell it wasn't a sincere appology.

So what did my wife do? She replied with the comment, "Can you say about-face?" That's all. Didn't call her names, didn't even use her name. But I think the point is clear. Still makes me laugh!

who could know. this could be a blessing in disguise.

That's how I'm handling it.

1st i will find oprahs book clubs type list and reduce the publishers down to which one seems to have the most money to take on a book of your type. and then i will research other popular books that are not into the da vinvi code subject heading. because they could be tantalized to get on that bandwagon and had not had a good book cross there table for it , yet.

Bonnie Blue, you're in the wrong business. You should be an agent, or at the very least, a press rep. You're a natural!

i am thinking of a penguin books or whom was the publisher for lionel fanthorpes books.

That would be Weiser Books, an imprint of Red Wheel. No connection to Penguin that I know of. But I have an email address for them. Penguin's a good bet, too.

D'Arcy's right, though: I'll have to collect an agent first, one who's handled books like this before. They'll probably know the best place to send my book, but it never hurts to talk to a publisher as well. The worst they can do is tell me to take it elsewhere, or return whern I have proper manangement.

...or william mann and the labyrinth grail book he wrote, who published that book.

Laughing Owl Publishing. I've found a couple of good resources for publshing companies. One is:

http://www.tastynews.com/publishersac.htm -- Great list, alphabetized, with comments.

http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Econo ... _Services/
Publishers/Fiction_and_Literature/ -- Generic Yahoo list, but thorough.

http://www.writenotes.co.uk/publishers.htm -- Long list, no comments (Note: the hyperlinks may not work, so View source)

http://www.authorjewelstone.com/publishinghouses.htm -- A list of mostly small presses, geared towards non-mainstream and romance titles.

Thanks for you suppot, B. Your faith alone is a great help.

TemplarScribe
Member OITS
"Every great thinker is someone else's moron."
-- Umberto Eco, "Focault's Pendulum"
TemplarScribe
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Bonnie on Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:27 pm

templar scribe, hello,
sounds like you ready done the research on the publishers and darcy surely knows these things the best. it is his area experience.

sounds like you need to find an agent.

i have a perfectly good career for many years as a designer. i think i will stick to it. it is too much fun coloring buildings all over the place.

i hope all is well there for you and your family.

have a wonderful rest of the week.
your friend, b
Bonnie
Future Tour Guide

Previous

Return to Off topic discussion