A Call For Contacts (And a Yodel For Help From Mrs. Scribe)

This is the place to discuss any non-Oak Island topics - any discussions which have veered off topic may find themselves residing here.

Moderators: Jo, divemedic

A Call For Contacts (And a Yodel For Help From Mrs. Scribe)

Postby TemplarScribe on Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:03 am

Has this ever happened to you?

You get an email from someone that just burns you up! This person has been a thorn in your side at work, and has made your working life a living hell. You have to let off some steam, so you forward this irritating email to one of your close friends, with a nice little sarcastic comment tacked on for good measure ( I think I'm rubbing off on her!).

But instead of sending it to your friend, you send it accidentally -- horrors!! -- right back to that same person it came from! Of course, this is someone who doesn't have the same sense of humor as you, but -- wouldn't you know it -- does have the ability to get you fired.

Thankfully, this has never happened to me. Unfortunately, this did happen today to my wife, the director of a church-run daycare center. The lady she returned the email to won't get this reply for two weeks (she's on vacation). But my wife has no doubts that when this other lady returns, my wife may have a very tenuous job position. As if childbirth in seven weeks isn't enough to keep her awake at night!

So....

I've decided to go into full-speed-ahead mode for finding an agent and/or publisher for my novel. I know that most publishers don't like to have half-finished submissions, so I'd planned on waiting until I had the novel almost done. I've got a carefully edited first two chapters, complete up to page 66. I've got two-thirds of Chapter Three done, up to page 98 or so, 80,000 words all told, including 20 pages of scenes from further ahead in the novel.

I know my book's unfinished status is a huge deterrent, if for no other reason than many writers wind up unable to complete a planned book. In my own personal completed category, I've previously written one 200K-word novel plus a handful of 80K-word shorter "novelettes," in addition to a number of 120-page screenplays.

My wife has me convinced we may be losing her 40% of our combined income within the month, and I'm usually a hard man to convince. So, I'm gonna push all the buttons I can reach starting next week (Tuesday, July the 5th).

But, in the few months since I started doing deep research on OI, you guys have become like family to me. Tank, he's actually got a central role in this story. D'Arcy, Bonnie, JohnBear, even BadInfluence, you'll all see yourselves only slightly disguised. Many more of you, although I don't want to give too much away, are in there, too. So I thought I'd mention this to you all first.

What am I hoping for? That I'll be steered towards a publisher looking for something in the vein of Dan Brown's "Da Vinci Code," but different: more humorous, more personable, more grounded in reality, but even so, more mysterious. That's a tall order, I know, but all that I can deliver: anyone who's read my first two chapters will likely agree. Just a perusal of a couple of representative four-page scenes will note, as one reader said, that my style "...combines a Perleman wit with a Conan-Doyle penchant for buried clues, flavored throughout with Poe's healthy respect for the shadows."

I finished my synopsis-slash-bio months ago, and have PDF files I can fling far and wide.

What, you may ask, are my chances of getting a contract within a month, one that can allay my wife's financial fears? Maybe 20,000-to-one. Maybe 20-million-to-one. But hey, if we only bet on sure things, none of us would be anywhere near this Forum, am I right? (:^D)

So, if you've got a contact, a suggestion, a website to check on or a number for me to call, send them all in. No offer refused! Phone lines are open!! Operators are either standing by, or have their cell phones planted right next to their ear on the bedstand.

In return, I'll keep you all posted here, in the one and only thread I've ever started in this Forum.

Very sincerely,

David White (aka TemplarScribe)
davout@ligtel.com
"Every great thinker is someone else's moron."
-- Umberto Eco, "Focault's Pendulum"
TemplarScribe
Digging for Diamonds

Postby badinfluence63 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:05 am

TS,

There must be a way to retrieve the email before viewed.

BI63
(OITS Member)
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby badinfluence63 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:09 am

TS,

I enjoyed reading what you shared. I would buy cop(ies) when its in circulation. To add to my growing treasure hunting related library.

And thanks a bunch, I've never been in a book before.

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

"Whoooo? Whoooo? Whoooo screwed up this time?"

Postby TemplarScribe on Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:20 am

badinfluence63 wrote:There must be a way to retrieve the email before viewed.

There may be. She's tried contacting the web guru that runs her company's email, but it went through quicker than -- well, than anything I've ever seen computer-wise.

I told her it was karma, Fate, that Big Laughing Owl in the Sky that takes personal pleasure in watching us squirm. Afraid I wasn't too sympathetic.

But I am taking this to heart: she should be working editing my pages and arranging details for the book tour durn it, and not playing footsy with some blinkered bum-numb desk-jockey who doesn't realize what a gem she is to run that place for them for the pittance they reluctantly pay her.

But, I digress...

As far as your role in the book, it's a small but very significant one. You did say you'd volunteer to be the seventh person found dead, if it could clear up the mystery, right? (:^D)

TS
M OITS
TemplarScribe
Digging for Diamonds

Postby badinfluence63 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:24 am

TS,

In regards to my role in the book...as long as fiction doesn't become larger then life............

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Panic

Postby Tank04 on Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:44 am

TS,

Ohhh baby, I know that feeling, very uncomfortable. Tell Mrs TS that I am thinking of her and hope it all works out.

Here is some life experience to mull over, do with it what you will. I am no Christian, God knows, but, I have been brought up under that influence and would suggest that the golden rule applies here, do unto others as you would have others do unto you. I would not hesitate to bring Christian values out of the silk lined box to display when and if Mrs TS gets confronted by this person. If she unleashes revenge on Mrs TS, I would quickly remind her that she should consider what a great Christian would do based on past teachings.

Basically, this woman has two choices. Relent and allow herself to collapse into a world of self serving indignation and lashing out, or realize she is a frail human like the rest of us, full of failings, like the rest of us, and forgive Mrs TS like her bible tells her to do. A sit down, face to face meeting may go a long way to resolving some obviously burning issues. It will be uncomfortable at first, but it may be the best thing the two of them ever did together. Mrs TS may want to seek guidance from her preacher.

If that fails, get Mrs TS to tell her boss to go piss up a Christmas Tree (it's a Canadian thing) and go find a new place to work. If her boss is that retentive and nasty, it is best that she works someplace new anyway. With a brand new TS on the way, maybe it is time to get rid of that stress and move on. Resign before the other party has the chance to be a lesser human being.

I know this sounds crude, but my belly tells me you two are decent people and you don't deserve this type of foolishness from people in authority who are supposed to set the standard of conduct. When I became upset over an issue at work, my ex boss used to say, “Bye, in a year from now, you will have forgotten all about it” I use to think, “what a dink” but he was right.

I wish I could offer a fast track to a publisher for you, but alas, I am but a poor country boy with few friends in high places. I do however offer my humour and kind words for you both. Uncle Tanky will be thinking about you.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Re: Panic

Postby TemplarScribe on Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:45 pm

Tank04 wrote:Tell Mrs TS that I am thinking of her and hope it all works out.

Too late. I already told her you in particular were laughing at it with me. She wants to kick you in the shin, next time you two meet. (Heh heh...)

A sit down, face to face meeting may go a long way to resolving some obviously burning issues. It will be uncomfortable at first, but it may be the best thing the two of them ever did together.

My feeling exactly! Although, she doesn't like face-to-face confrontations, especially with someone who's been pretty open about trying to shut down the day-care center. Say, what's the female equivalent of Ebeneezer Scrooge?

If that fails, get Mrs TS to tell her boss to go piss up a Christmas Tree (it's a Canadian thing) and go find a new place to work.

I've suggested that, too, but it seems most prospective employers fail to see the value in an eight-month pregnant female who, one month after being hired, will be on company-paid sick leave for two or three months.

But what's keeping her really worried is they may fire her, and it's HER company that provides our health insurance (since Mr. TS works for a non-profit). So we could be going from the $150 Acadia Birthing Investment to the $3500 Acadian Highway Robbery. That tends to pull down the corners of my smile just a wee bit. (:^Z)

“Bye, in a year from now, you will have forgotten all about it” I use to think, “what a dink” but he was right.

Heard an excellent program last year on NPR radio, all about angry relations between neighbors, where one segment ended with the line, "Let's hope a year from now, we're all sitting around laughing our asses off about this!" Works for me.

...alas, I am but a poor country boy with few friends in high places.

Now, Tank as long as you have friends like Kel, Dan, Ken, and the rest of that displaced gentry you call Nova Scotians, I wouldn't call you poor. Under-financed, perhaps...

Thanks for the good wishes and the prayers. It's twelve hours later, and I'm still laughing! Mrs. TS at least had a smile on her face this morning.

TemplarScribe
Member OITS
TemplarScribe
Digging for Diamonds

Re: Panic

Postby Ken on Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:26 pm

Tank04 wrote:.... tell her boss to go piss up a Christmas Tree (it's a Canadian thing) ....

Actually, Tank I think that's more a Lunenburg County thing. :twisted:

Tank04 wrote:I wish I could offer a fast track to a publisher for you, but alas, I am but a poor country boy with few friends in high places. I do however offer my humour and kind words for you both. Uncle Tanky will be thinking about you.

As will Uncle Ken, not that it will help a bit. Like Tank, I am but a poor country boy with few friends in high places. No, wait, I don't even know any high places.

Having said that, Mrs. TS's employer's system administrator should have the power to delete that message from the inbox where it is now residing. It may take a small bribe, but that would be better than the loss of her job and health coverage.

Good luck!!

Ken
Ken
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Mad Davy Kidd on Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:02 pm

TS,

My sympathies to Mrs. TS, I've been in the same boat before, and helped the odd few people at my company out of that boat in my position of e-mail system administrator (among other things).

I have two suggestions from a technical perspective, and they both come with "ifs", unfortunately!

If she is using Microsoft Outlook (NOT Outlook Express), and the company is using Microsoft Exchange Server, tell here to go the the Sent Items folder, open the offending e-mail, click the "Actions" menu and look for "Recall this message". If luck is with her this should yank the message right out of the other person's inbox never to be seen again :-)

I'm not sure what other mail systems have this functionality, and regular Internet e-mail certainly does not.

My second suggestion, although it sounds like you've been there already is to be really nice to your friendly, neighbourhood e-mail administrator. Again, if the company is using a centralized mail server, that message is just sitting there waiting to be read and could be plucked out by someone with administrative rights.

I may have saved a few jobs this way ;-)

Good luck with that, as well as with the oncoming TS Jr and the book! Unfortunately I don't have contacts in the publishing world but if by chance something comes along I'll keep you in mind.

Dave
Mad Davy Kidd
Digging on Oak Island

Postby Ken on Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:20 pm

Mad Davy Kidd wrote:I'm not sure what other mail systems have this functionality....

Novell GroupWise has the same capability by highlighting the message in the 'Sent Items' folder and hitting the delete key. In the resulting 'Delete Item' window choose 'All Mailboxes' and click OK. Bye bye message.
Ken
Digging for Diamonds

Next

Return to Off topic discussion