Jim Charles

A place to discuss the wider context of the Oak Island mystery

Moderators: Jo, Keeled_over

Jim Charles

Postby Mr.T on Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:55 am

I was wondering if anyone had any material on this fellow. I was spending some time with my grandmother today and she brought up his name. Apparently my great,great grandfather was the person that defended him in his trial. She mentioned that Thomas Radall wrote about him, but apparently he didn't like my g. g. grandfather and was excluded from the story. Charles Ford (my g. g. Grandfather), used to buy butter from Jim Charles. When Jim Charles discovered his gold he went to my g.g.Grandfather, who was a magistrate that lived in Maitland Bridge. Jim was scared that someone would find out that he had gold and attack him on his deliveries. My g.g.grandfather told him that he should hide the gold in the butter.
Mr.T
Digging for Coal

Old gold

Postby Tank04 on Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:50 am

Mr. T,

I have never heard of this story, perhaps you could give us more.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Postby Mr.T on Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:30 pm

I will tell you what little I know. Jim Charles was a Mi'kmaq, native to Caledonia. He discovered a large gold deposit in Kejji. This was well before Kejji was park land. I am guessing mid to late 1800's is when the events took place. Jim Charles used to sell his butter to the neighbouring communities (from Caledonia-Annapolis). As the story goes, Jim Charles struck gold. He wanted to keep it a secret so he could bring the gold into Annapolis and sell it. I am assuming that he asked Charles Ford for advice because Charles had a gold mine in Caledonia (Ford Mine). So one day he was delivering butter to Charles Ford and told him that he had struck gold. Jim wanted to know how to bring the gold in secretly to annapolis to sell. Charles told him to hide it in the butter so no one would know of his gold. So Jim began hiding his gold in the butter, bringing it to annapolis and selling it. On one occasion Jimand his wife went into Hailfax to buy 2 horses and new clothes. Upon returning to Caledonia, people became suspicious. One day Jim was going to his spot and he was followed by a man. A struggle insued in which Jim killed the man. There was a trial in Liverpool/Milton where Jim was found not guilty.
Mr.T
Digging for Coal

Jim Charles

Postby Tank04 on Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:56 pm

Mr. T,

Great story that I have never heard before. At least he was able to get a not guilty verdict. Did he live a long life, and more importantly, was he able to work his Gold find after that.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Postby Guest on Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:24 pm

I will be digging for info and keep you posted. I know that there has been stories published about Mr. Charles. It's great when you can sit with your grandmother and learn things about your families past that you didn't know. It is making me want to head down to Caledonia to find my forefathers gold mine. Apparently there is a sign still up but all equipment was plowed into the ground when he died. Too bad its on park land....

Re: Jim Charles

Postby sayyou on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:35 am

There is more to the story.I am a Ford greatgrandson and I happened to buy shares in a company that was rerefining gold tailings back in the late 80s in that area where the mines were.I was in the fuel business then and they bought supplies from me.I grew up in Halifax but spend all my summers with my grandparents.His name was Orlando Ford son of Charles.I still own the Ford land along the mersey river in Maitland Bridge.I know about the area but no history before Charles Ford.My parents are buried next to Charles and most his family who remained in the area.
sayyou GFY
sayyou
Digging for Clams

Postby badinfluence63 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:04 am

sayyou,

Welcome aboard the good ship OITF. Do you know the fellow poster Mr T?

I really enjoyed your post and was wondering if you have anything to add to Oak Island of a historic nature?
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby Tank04 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:41 am

Sayyou,

From one Bluenoser to another, welcome to the oakislandtreaure forum.
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Return to Nova Scotia History & Geography