Early road between Chester and Colchester/Cobequid

A place to discuss the wider context of the Oak Island mystery

Moderators: Jo, Keeled_over

Early road between Chester and Colchester/Cobequid

Postby PJK on Wed May 04, 2011 10:49 am

Just looking at a couple of maps of Mahone Bay dated 1790 and 1824 which both seem to contain a direct road between Chester and Colchester (or Cobequid):

1790:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1824:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The 1824 map explains that "Roads represented in brown are pafsable for carts or wheel carriages of any description"

Is it possible that the Onslow Company came overland and possibly as early as 1790?

PJK
PJK
Digging for Diamonds

Re: Early road between Chester and Colchester/Cobequid

Postby wayward on Thu May 05, 2011 12:56 pm

PJK wrote:Just looking at a couple of maps of Mahone Bay dated 1790 and 1824 which both seem to contain a direct road between Chester and Colchester (or Cobequid)

The 1824 map explains that "Roads represented in brown are pafsable for carts or wheel carriages of any description"

Is it possible that the Onslow Company came overland and possibly as early as 1790?

PJK

I'm interested in your 1790 map PJK. It seems to be cut off where it says "road from Chester". Do you have more of that map, and if so does it indicate where that road leads after crossing the road to Halifax?---Bill
on the trail of the grail
wayward
Digging for Diamonds

Postby PJK on Thu May 05, 2011 1:20 pm

Hello Wayward,

I'll have to go back and check exactly where the road leads. The reason it cuts off is that it was the biggest map I've ever seen. It took two people to carry it over to the reading table, all my strength to unroll it to that point and me at full stretch to get the picture above :D

I'll try and see it again early next week.

PJK
PJK
Digging for Diamonds

Postby n4n224ccw on Sat May 07, 2011 2:34 am

Peter,

The Halifax to Lunenburg road and many such other roads connecting Halifax to other parts of the Province were rooted in military usage.

The Halifax to Lunenburg road was originally cut in 1755 by a group of Rangers. Slowly over the years it was improved; however, by 1790 it was still not fit for comfortable travel by buggy.

Records in Halifax do show some of the folks connected with Oak Island as having received contracts to survey and improve segments of the Halifax to Lunenburg and the Chester to Windsor roads. The Vaughan brothers and Crandall received contracts for this and for building the first bridge across the Gold River.

There is a maps by John Montresor 1768 which detail where the Halifax to Lunenburg road intersected the Halifax to Windsor/Truro road. This intersection was located in the area of Halifax known as dutch Village. The Halifax to Windsor road split near the mouth of the modern day Sackville River with one going to Windsor and the other to Truro.
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Return to Nova Scotia History & Geography