Windsor Rock Formation

A place to discuss the wider context of the Oak Island mystery

Moderators: Jo, Keeled_over

Windsor Rock Formation

Postby Tank04 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:57 am

Here is a photo taken last weekend of the Gypsum Quarry near Windsor Nova Scotia. Note the tiny little bulldozer in the pit, which was actually a very big bulldozer dwarfed by the size of the hole it is working in. This is part of what is commonly referred to as the Windsor rock formation that spans the width of Nova Scotia and forms part of the bedrock scheme under Oak Island.

Here is a naturally occurring outcrop of rock a little further down the road.

This is what it looks like up close, note the odd looking erosion. There is a cave near by if anyone wants to see a photo of it, simply let me know.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Re: Windsor Rock Formation

Postby zimmy on Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:54 pm

Very cool. Especially the last photo. I wonder if underwater erosion would look similar

Thanks Tank
zimmy
Digging for Ore

Postby Tank04 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:25 pm

Zimmy,

Had I been smart enough, I would have taken a photograph of two rock outcropping just a few hundred feet from the wall in this photo. The rock outcropping were not accessible at the time I was there (too much water) and they were covered with a heavy blanket of seaweed, but every now and then, you could see white rock sticking through the mats. As the tide continued to drop, as it turned out, I would have been able to walk over to them for a look, but I didn't.

The tides in the Bay of Fundy are among the highest in the world, often reaching as much as 40 feet or more depending on Moon cycles. This wall of rock therefore gets washed by the sea at high tide and over eons of constant erosion, I highly suspect the underwater rocks show a similar erosion patterns, but that is a rank guess on my part.

I did bring home a souvenir from the ocean bottom, a rock for our "unusual rock" collection that exhibits similar erosion as the first photo I posted. I picked it up about fifty feet from this wall face, partially buried under the course gravel beach. We saw many different types of erosion examples, even a cave you could walk into but was very shallow

Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Postby Tank04 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:30 pm

Hers is another example of the type of erosion we saw, many holes, not as much layering, very exotic looking and unusual especially for a guy from the open Atlantic side of Nova Scotia where this type of thing is just not seen.

Tank04
Treasure hunter

Return to Nova Scotia History & Geography