Halifax Tunnels

A place to discuss the wider context of the Oak Island mystery

Moderators: Jo, Keeled_over

Halifax Tunnels

Postby CBtreasurehunter on Tue May 30, 2006 3:16 pm

To whom it may concern,

Legend has it that some of the major sites in and around Halifax maybe connected through a serries of tunnels. Many points such as the Citadel, Georges Island, McNabs Island, Point Pleasant Park, York Redoubt, battlements below Duncan's cove and perhaps a few others.

I've heard these stories since I was young and visiting Halifax. Anybody got some info on it?
Cheers
CBtreasurehunter,
(OITS member)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"
-Ozzy Osbourne
CBtreasurehunter
Digging for Gold

Postby FutureProspect784 on Tue May 30, 2006 8:50 pm

CBT,

Their is quite a bit of information in the book "Ghosts and Folklore of The Halifax Citadel National Historic Site", by Harold R. Thompson. In Chapter 4 there is a passage written by a man named Harry Piers:

"There is no subterraneous passage for men, as local tradition so fondly believes, leading either to the harbour or to George's Island. There is, however, a large and carefully constructed brick sewer which connects with the 12" main proceeding from the closets (ie lavatories) on each side of the northern sally-port in the west curtain and passing around by way of the northern ditch; from beneath the bottom of the ditch at the redan salient it leads down the glacis to the head of Buckingham Street, where it connects with a large stone drain (on the site of an ancient stream); thence it passes downhill until it reaches the harbour via the Ordnance Yard (it it uncertain whether the Citadel drainage is carried by the drain under the Yard gate, or by another under the southern part of the Yard). A man, by stooping, can pass through this capacious conduit, but it was not constructed for the passage of troops in time of emergency."

There has been argument as to the validity of this sewer, however, a first tunnel was discovered in 1919, a second tunnel in 1938 under Duke Street, and a third tunnel in 1976 on the corner of Grafton and Prince Streets. A fourth tunnel was discovered in 1995 under Sackville Street.
Again all this can be found in the book mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

Eighty-eights,

FP784
88’s

FP

“I Want YOU.........To Solve The Oak Island Mystery!”

UNCLE SAM
FutureProspect784
Official Tour Guide

Postby badinfluence63 on Tue May 30, 2006 9:12 pm

FP784,

To add mahem to mystery there is also the Gold River area thought to have a undisclosed tunnel somewhere. Hopefully the Tankenator will see this post and respond as he knows much about the Gold River area.

EOID'06 or Bust!

Sincerely.

BI63
(OITS Member)
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby FutureProspect784 on Tue May 30, 2006 9:28 pm

BI,

I was actually thinking of visiting Gold River after EOID '06 this summer.

Eighty-eights,

FP784
88’s

FP

UNCLE SAM
FutureProspect784
Official Tour Guide

Tunnels

Postby Tank04 on Tue May 30, 2006 9:55 pm

CBtreasurehunter,

I was to the Halifax Citadel way, way back when I was a kid as part of a school trip and remember someone pointing out the tunnel entrance to Georges Island. As a much older man, I went back (several times) to see the displays, feel the history etc. and have asked about the said tunnel and they claim it to be a myth. I believe it to be so.

The book quote from FutureProspect784 pretty well sums it up, but also adds a new kink to the story. I did not know of the elaborate sewer system that ran from the fort to the harbour. Perhaps what was pointed out to me was the old sewer tunnel.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Gold River

Postby Tank04 on Tue May 30, 2006 10:01 pm

FutureProspect784,

I was actually thinking of visiting Gold River after EOID '06 this summer.

With a nickname like that, I am not surprised you want to go to Gold River this summer. Perhaps a little colour in your pan is the desire? Exercise caution, the land is staked with an active claim, both deep minerals and shallow works too.

I am intimately aware of the gold mine workings in that area having walked that land it all my life. I even maintain a small log cabin on the river bank, smack in the middle of the workings.

There are no open tunnels that can be accessed from ground level, but there are some open shafts (mostly collapsed) and a few trenches through solid rock worth a look.
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Postby FutureProspect784 on Tue May 30, 2006 10:03 pm

Tank,

Actually, according to the book, the sewer tunnel has apparently disappeared, but the author explored it anyway, and reported that he thinks there is a modern service tunnel filled with power lines in the same location. He suspects the service tunnel was built within the original brick sewer.

Probably should have posted this before.

Eighty-eights,

FP784
88’s

FP

UNCLE SAM
FutureProspect784
Official Tour Guide

Postby FutureProspect784 on Tue May 30, 2006 10:07 pm

Tank,

There are no open tunnels that can be accessed from ground level, but there are some open shafts (mostly collapsed) and a few trenches through solid rock worth a look.

Thanks for the info. Also, FutureProspect is actually just a daydream name for something that I'll probably never be. Too many other things on the go! :lol:

Eighty-eights,

FP784
88’s

FP

UNCLE SAM
FutureProspect784
Official Tour Guide

Postby CBtreasurehunter on Wed May 31, 2006 1:44 pm

Thanks for the info guys. But I always go by the theory that what you hear and what you read isnt always true. If Halifax was the British's major Stronghold in NS, I think their could be a lot more to the 'rumor' than we know. But this is a good topic and I hope that more people chime in with their own versions of the 'rumor'
CBtreasurehunter
Digging for Gold

Halifax Tunnel

Postby PJK on Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:07 am

All,

Furneaux's "The Money Pit Mystery" p134 relates the following:

"During the war years (AWoI), Captain William Spry was Chief Royal Engineer at Halifax. He employed his miners at the Citadel to dig a well 160 ft deep, by the north wall of No. 18 Casement, and run a conduit, large enough for a man, to connect with the drain into the harbour. (H.Piers)."

Which seems to confirm FP784's information. I presume H. Piers and Harry Piers are one & the same.

PJK
PJK
Digging for Diamonds

Next

Return to Nova Scotia History & Geography