Interesting name

A place to discuss the wider context of the Oak Island mystery

Moderators: Jo, Keeled_over

Interesting name

Postby n4n224ccw on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:19 pm

Just an interesting factoid with those connected to Oak Island.

from the book Rambling Winds by Isabel E. Deyarmond, no ISBN, no published date, seems to be self published and details some history of Stewiacke and area and some families involved with Oak Island.

page 27.

"About three years (1783) after Mr Kennedy's settlement in Middle Stewiacke, some of the settlers undertook an expedition up the (Stewiacke ) river for the purpose of exploring the unknown territory in that direction. ....This lead to an application for grant by a large number of Truro people.

(this is how and when Col Archibald came to the area)

A grant was made to John Harris (father of our Thomas Harris) and others, about 50 all told. Of these not more than twenty settled on their lots.

In the latter part of 1783, Mathew Johnson commenced a settlement on his lot and erected a house-the first house in Upper Stewiacke-on the upland on the Northern side of the River (later known as Tupper Hill) where he lived for a time. Later he moved to the interval on the south side. Here he built up a high mound , dug his cellar in the centre of the mound and built his house thereon , so as to be clear of high water in time of freshets. The mound may still be seen on what is known as the Oak Islands owned by the late WP Creelman."

What an interesting name to call this man made mound with a cellar and I wonder during what year it gained the name? I am attempting to find our more about this mound.
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Re: Interesting name

Postby n4n224ccw on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:37 am

The mound can be found at exactly the following:

N 45° 12.928 W 062° 59.988

This information comes from a geocache entry found at www.geocaching.com

and called "Fishing the Stewiacke River #1"

Extract from entry "could not find this one, my uncle and cousins have fields here, it's called Oak Islands, after searching ,and the gps taking us out in the field I talked to my cousin who owns the field this one is in and they cleared a lot of the trees out of this field recently because they were getting too many people driving through the field, the owner should relocate this geocache, maybe to alongside the river where it can be accessed from the dirt road instead of having to go through the field would love to try this one again in a new location where farmers fields would not be disrupted"

Google Earth shows the circular dark spot, must be trees.

Comparing against the Ambrose F Church map of 1864 along with the narrative of David (Grandson of Robert) still living in Robert's house at about that time, we can see the mound is very close. I estimate it to be about 1.6km.

You might want to checkout the following link to see many of the names familiar with Oak Island. Perhaps some of these other names were also associated with Robert Archibald but not mentioned by Mr Cooke of the Association.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/land/indexmaps/081.pdf

I have extracted a portion of the warrant to survey for the Archibald grant. It appears from the map above, for most of the land to be in John's name.

"Archibald, John & others" "John Archibald, Matthew Archibald, Robert Archibald" "Memorials (2) - from John Archibald and Robert Archibald. Warrant to Survey. Surveyor's Certificate. Surveyor's Report: 2150 acres. ""Musqueduboit"" River. Bounded in part by land laid out for John Fisher and others. County of Halifax. J" Halifax 1785

Now that we know where it is, I will look for the property deed to see when Mathew Johnson acquired the property. This would then be the earliest possible date for the mound to be given the name Oak Islands. Sure would be a strange coincidence if the mound was given this name before the year 1800.

Might be fun to also dig in.

Cheers
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Return to Nova Scotia History & Geography