My thoughts on John Smith and company

Please post your theories for discussion here. Expect plenty of questions and devil's advocacy.

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow, Keeled_over

Re: My thoughts on John Smith and company

Postby n4n224ccw on Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:46 pm

JodyLane3 wrote:By the way i meant that Vaughn Jr may have been tagging along with dear old dad in the excavation of the pit

I too think Anthony Vaughan Jr gained indirect knowledge of the pit, perhaps the way you described.

Implicating Anthony Vaughan Sr or his brother Daniel Vaughan with knowledge about the pit does come with consequences.

A pit thought to be of mysterious and unknown origins would reasonable have folks act one way; but a pit of known origins would have folks act another way.

All we can really do is to examine what little factual information we have on hand. The Lunenburg County book of Deeds is one such source of factual information which potentially illuminates the old Planter families relationship/association to the island.

After reviewing the Oak Island deeds between the years 1788 and 1800, one must wonder why the old Planter families quickly sold their Oak Island properties with many families quickly departing the area.

It appears Anthony Vaughan Sr may have sold his last Oak Island property (lot 4) to Thomas Embree on 6 June 1804. Considering the Onslow folks concluded their first year of operation by this point, one must wonder why he would sell this property to this man rather than his son Anthony Jr, aged 21.

If a mysterious treasure pit was thought to be on the island, does it make sense for any of these Planter families to have sold their lots?

If Anthony Vaughan Jr's story and his belief in a mysterious treasure pit was genuine, I'm sure he could have asked dear old dad for lot 4 rather than selling it outside of the family.

The actions of these folks do not add up when compared against the story Anthony Jr passed along. There is clearly some concealed information now lost to history.

There are only two scenarios which can reconcile the factual historical information we do have and which reasonably explain why the lies were told.

Either the planter families used the island for illegal activities and wanted to disassociate themselves from the island, or they found something and kept this information concealed.
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby JodyLane3 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:55 am

Ok Paul. So what is your take on the original search? What year did it begin, how long did the original people spend on it and how far down did they get?
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

Postby n4n224ccw on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:50 am

JodyLane3 wrote:Ok Paul. So what is your take on the original search? What year did it begin, how long did the original people spend on it and how far down did they get?

Jody,

You can read of my compilation of research on discovery at the following link.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=93:when-was-discovery&catid=31:general&Itemid=46

McGinnis may have found a depression but did he dig? The story says he went back to the mainland and fetched two others. All versions say one of these two was a Vaughan; but it certainly could not have been Anthony Vaughan Jr because he was only 7 years old. The Vaughan in question was most likely Daniel, Anthony Sr, or John who were all owners of island property and most likely McGinnis' and Ball's employer.

The legend of course was transmitted by Anthony Vaughan Jr to Robert Creelman during 1849 and much of it has been shown to be without merit.

Did they dig right away and did they even dig on lot 18?

My gut feeling tells me they dug reasonably soon after. Upon digging did they find log platforms or more? The circumstantial evidence suggests they found more.
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby JodyLane3 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:01 pm

You know after taking into account your Everything You Think You Know About OI Is Wrong attitude I understand why the one guy recently thought you were a debunker of the Money Pit mystery. After watching you and your sidekick badinfluence's antics elsewhere here in the forum I am inclined to just ignore you two and your so-called insight. I would match wits with Paul Hawkins instead. I will stick to D'Arcy's written accounts of everything.
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

Postby badinfluence63 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:21 pm

Cry me a river...its an easy mistake to think that Jody is a female? Come to think of it in the US Army they refer to guys that still your women while you are away at war as "Jodie".

N4's ability to uncover little known historical facts about Oak Island is about second to none. Better then the majority. I respect that. Me yeah.....ignore me,I don't care,lol.

And Jody no offense meant we know each other for a long time(Me and N4) and we joke around and is what is part of the mystery. How boring if everyone was stick in the mud serious.

Get over yourself and realise no harm was meant. Factor in the plus/minus of the keyboard and not being able to hear the tone of the voice or look in the persons eyes posting rather then talking.

JodyLane3 wrote:You know after taking into account your Everything You Think You Know About OI Is Wrong attitude I understand why the one guy recently thought you were a debunker of the Money Pit mystery. After watching you and your sidekick badinfluence's antics elsewhere here in the forum I am inclined to just ignore you two and your so-called insight. I would match wits with Paul Hawkins instead. I will stick to D'Arcy's written accounts of everything.
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby JodyLane3 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:39 pm

Actually bad i accept your apology. An apolngy wasnt needed as that was the misconception cerris had. Watching you get into it with the poster who went by ... was actually the chilling affect I felt here. As for Paul i think i will just not bring anything up that can be challenged again.

Joseph 'Jody' Land
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

Postby n4n224ccw on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:51 pm

JodyLane3 wrote:You know after taking into account your Everything You Think You Know About OI Is Wrong attitude I understand why the one guy recently thought you were a debunker of the Money Pit mystery. After watching you and your sidekick badinfluence's antics elsewhere here in the forum I am inclined to just ignore you two and your so-called insight. I would match wits with Paul Hawkins instead. I will stick to D'Arcy's written accounts of everything.

Good stuff Jody,

Debunk the mystery I think not, search for the truth I think so. If the legend of a 1795 uninhabited island falls so quickly due to a few documents found in the public archives, then the veracity of the legend was not much to begin with and it makes one wonder just how thorough a job past researchers have done.

Please point out the posting where I ask, request, or otherwise demand that you (or anyone else) believe a single thing which I post? I have made every effort to provide extensive links to, scans of, and reference to all original documents (which is much more than you get from others) for the very purpose of not having anyone at a disadvantage or asking anyone for blind faith acceptance.

I provide references so that you may interpret for yourself and to peak your own ideas for the purpose of facilitating discussion with the end goal being a group contribution towards solving the mystery as a collective whole.

Each and every person brings forward information, insight, and and a different way of viewing things. I am totally open to any possibility for the smallest of details, provide the information is grounded in fact (an irrefutable statement) and established provenance. Such information stands until it is successfully challenged or refuted which then in turn demands a re-examination or evaluation.

Solving the mystery of the island depends upon facts and critical thinking. A reasonable place to start is with discovery. You can tell this has been my focus for sometime. One established fact is for McGinnis to have purchased his first Oak Island lot during 1788. This is an irrefutable statement because it is recorded in the Lunenburg County book of deeds.

D'Arcy's book are an excellent source of material and if you care to search, you will find me saying this many times and that I highly recommend his books to my friends. D'Arcy's efforts since first becoming involved has brought us much information and without his efforts, we would have much less information within the public domain. With that said, his narrative on the discovery time period is incorrect and was merely copied from previous and incorrect versions.

If you care to, or ever have the chance of visiting the Nova Scotia Archives and Record Management in Halifax and spending two weeks studying and copy the entire RV Harris collection, THEN have the opportunity to sit in Dan Blankenship's office with full access to his files, you will quickly discover and conclude that Blair never provided RV Harris with ALL the information to base his book upon. Recent finding by Joy at Beaton College in Cape Breton indicates the Chappells were also highly selective in what they furnished to RV. In a nutshell, the RV Harris version of the story was based upon selected information (in favour of promoting mystery); thus, crafted by Blair and Chappell for public consumption.

Providing 'selective' material and concealing other materials did not originate with Blair and Chappell and can be illustrated by the contents of J.B. McCully's papers that were recently donated by his descendants. The disconnect between Blair's story of 1863 and the superintendent’s workbook from 1863 clearly shows selective disclosure at play. We know Blair met with McCully several times.

Blair through the information told to him (and in turn RV) says “the workmen reached the mouth of the pirate tunnel (at 111 or so feet) only to be forced back due to rocks the size of a man's head being forced out and flooding; however, the superintendent’s workbook says the men followed the tunnel and put up cribbing all the way to the end.

There are the recently discovered newspaper accounts detailing work which occurred during the 1880s and unknown by Blair, thus RV Harris, thus you and me.

Shall I go on?

At one time I too was also a blind faith believer in the RV Harris (and subsequent) narrative as being the absolute full gospel truth to it all; but as evidence shows, it is not.

Dismiss my opinion or conclusions all you like; however, you cannot dismiss the irrefutable documents, all posted for your examination.

Please dismiss my opinions and draw your own conclusions, I encourage you, perhaps you are the one to get it right, then we can all rejoice in wonder (no sarcasm). All that I request is for you to share your thoughts, especially towards any documents which I post. This I think to be the modern day collective strength to solving the island via the internet.

If I were an Oak Island know it all, then I would not be looking for new information. I dare say and submit, my opinion differs from others because I may have looked at this a little more closely than you. In the words told to me by Dan Blankenship as I quoted from RV Harris, “Don't be disappointed in what you think you might know about Oak Island.”

BTW my comment to John (Bi63) was a friendly ribbing, the :P was a give away.

Cheers

n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby JodyLane3 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:39 pm

Paul I humbly apologize for overreacting. I dont think you are a debunker of the Money Pit but if we have a difference of opinion can you not send so much info at one time when correcting me. it does make me want to sink my head into the sand.
Joseph 'Jody' Lane
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

Postby n4n224ccw on Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:45 pm

Jody,

Thanks Jody and to put your mind at ease, I've been subject to a whole lot worse....lol

I'll try to keep answers to any of your questions limited, providing I can avoid giving an answer which relies upon blind faith acceptance.

n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby JodyLane3 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:31 pm

Unless i remember wrong wasnt Harris Blairs lawyer? The one who misled Lewis into thinking Blair still had the TTL in place after Lewis bought the island but yet it hadnt been renewed yet?
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

PreviousNext

Return to Your Theories