My theory

Please post your theories for discussion here. Expect plenty of questions and devil's advocacy.

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow, Keeled_over

Coffer dams

Postby Tank03 on Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:33 pm

ICRP and Jodylane,

There does not appear to be remnanats of a coffer dam on the south shore but tyhere is some eviddnce of an old one, possibly, in Smith's Cove. According to the report that accompanies the multibeam bathymetry work done, there are made made structures not far from the supposed location of the south shore flood tunnels. There are also man made/manipulated objects (anthropogenic) scattered all around the area.

Go to Pwillie's new picture site, not the one at the top of the page, go to his most recent posting and follow his link to it. Once there you will see a list of pictures and look for the one under "pictures taken on Oak Island". Scroll to the bottom and look at the black and white photograph taken by James Pickerell in 1971.

This picture shows two things I want to bring to you attention, first the devastation of Smith's Cove. Dunfield is not the only guy to move a lot of ground. Secondly, look toward the bottom of the page, just to the left of the digging machine, above the man standing on Trition's new coffer dam is a "U" shaped structure first spotted by Gilbert Heddon in the 30's.

It is made of long logs with roman numerals on it and wooden pegs holding other wooden beams to it. No one knows what it is but I would suggest, for your consideration at least, it is the remnants of the original dam used to hold back the water while the flood tunnel from Smith's cove was completed.

This is pure speculation on my part but I offer that as a possible use for it. You look at the picture and decide for yourself.

I hope you are feeling better Jodylane, it is no fun being laid out, I know. So does gentlemans' hockey superstar, Calgary's answer to Wayne Gretsky, ICRP.
Tank03
Digging on Oak Island

The cofferdam

Postby icrp on Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:34 pm

Tank,

Thanks for the South Shore Cove post. I am very interested in this cove and the potential for artifact recovery. I hope pwillie has another go at diving there with better visibility.

Those shots of the work done by Triton in exposing the U-shaped logs are intriguing. Has Triton considered another cofferdam as part of their submission for the new Treasure Trove Lic?
icrp
Digging for Gold

Coffer dams

Postby Tank03 on Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:21 pm

ICRP,

I have heard some rumours about such a project but it was only that, rumours. Nothing I would want to repeat. I know engineers have been consulted about such a project.

The Treasure Trove License is not a public document so there is no way of knowing what they are planning to do for sure. As usual, not being on the inside leaves one with much speculation to do. It' funny though how peope like to talk even when they know they should keep it to themselves. I have always been one to keep my ear to the ground.

Pwillie is doing a grand project and if he keeps poking around Oak Island, he may very well one day discover something no one else has seen or contemplated. If I were in his shoes, I would look for that shipwreck clearly shown on the multibeam bathymetry chart and the "deposits" of ground, rocks, etc. off the eastern shore.
Tank03
Digging on Oak Island

Postby Gert on Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:36 pm

I had a look at the multibeam bathymetry charts and must say I don't make heads or tails of it, and would need a walkthrough to begin to understand the language.
But I do have a chart of OI that indicates a ledge or shelf just off Isaac's point at Smith's cove. Has this been fully investigated? Do we know if it is natural or man made?
Also on that chart they indicate a large underwater hole and piles of debris in the South Shore cove, just about where the ice holes appear.

I realise other divers have explored some of the underwater sites but even so Pwillie has a chance to see these yet undisturbed areas which just might give a clue or two.

The more I hear about activities planned for spring and summer 2004, the longer winter seems. :(

Gert
Gert
Digging for Gold

Multibeam chart

Postby Tank03 on Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:43 pm

Gert,

Don't feel alone in youir inability to make head nor tails out of the chart. There are three things you need in order to make things make sence to you, the first is a full size chart which can be purchaced from Bedford Institute of Oceanorgaphy in Dartmouth (I can supply you with ordering instructions).

The second thing is a pair of those crappy 3d glasses, just like you wear to those cheap 3d movies, I kid you not. Third is to spend some time with the very accomodating Gordon Fader, one of the scientists who made the chart.

The 3d glasses will bring things out in a relief type of detail and Gordon wil be able to tell you what the hell you are looking at, very important. If you come down to "Explore Oak Island Day" on May 2, I will guide you through what I know about it. Another avenue is to contact Pwillie and see if he will guide you through it. He spent more time with Gordon than I did and he is really tecnologically minded, smart guy.

Gordon explains that the "mystery" of Oak Island is nothing more than natural sinkholes, glacial deposits, over active imaginations and fraud. He does however, accept that just off Isaac's point, there are two man made constructions that he theorizes are remnants of models built for study for the seige on Louisbourg, a shipwreck that is quite large, artefacts and man made objects off South Cove and a curious square shaped object just off the location of the Triton shaft that may be nothing more than a blip or burp of the machinery, if you will!!!! Curious fellow this Gordon Fader.
Tank03
Digging on Oak Island

Postby Gert on Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:09 pm

Tank

Basically you have answered my question about the construction at Isaacs point but keep those crappy 3D glasses at hand, I may have a look at the chart just for the halibut. 8)

Yes Explore Oak Island Day is definitely in my plans. Just looking at the pics on Pwillie's site tells me it is something I would not want to miss.

Gert
Gert
Digging for Gold

Isaac's Point

Postby icrp on Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:56 pm

Can you elaborate about the structures found off Isaac's Point?
icrp
Digging for Gold

Structures

Postby Tank03 on Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:42 pm

ICRP,

Rembering I'm not trained in this field thus making me a rank amatuer but here goes.

The land above and below water has specific ways it was formed. Islands have a "grain" if you will or convolutions that a multibeam bethymetry device picks up very well, it shows up almost like layers and they go in the same direction, it is predictable and anything that contradicts it has a cause and reason.

On the chart we speak of, when you look closely, you will see constructions that go almost at a right angles to this flow I speak of. Very unnatural and obvious, even to the untrained eye. What the construction are is basically piles of debris and rocks.

It could be the left overs from the dirt and rocks hauled out of the Money pit, flood tunnels, deep tunnels, who knows until someone goes down and spends some time and money to have it analyzed and studied.

If you get the chart, you will see this anomoly between the point and south shore beach.
Tank03
Digging on Oak Island

clear water

Postby icrp on Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:21 pm

Tank,

Is the water clear enough for pwillie's keen eyes?

I agree that right angles seem most unnatural given the wave action present in the area.
icrp
Digging for Gold

Clear water

Postby Tank03 on Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:28 pm

ICRP,

Pwillie is going to get sick of hearing me say this, but I am surprised at the lack of visibilty he encountered last summer off Oak Island.

I was talking to a chap this Fall who was diving for Scallops off Smith's Cove and he said the visibility was around 10 - 15 feet. It must be dependant on the time of year, algea growth, phytoplankton etc.

Pwillie has keen eyes indeed, he stocks my favourite kind of beer on his boat so there is obviously nothing wrong with his eyes. I suspect that he will get around to exploring that site next summer although he does have a lot of areas to cover. I wish I was still in the sport so I could help out.

Gordon Fader was adament about the structures, and this guy thinks Oak Island is a bunch of hoowee.
Tank03
Digging on Oak Island

PreviousNext

Return to Your Theories