How important is Oak island

Light-hearted on-topic banter in our own virtual pub! Nuggets of humour found here!!

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow, Keeled_over

Re: How important is Oak island

Postby D'Arcy on Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:56 pm

Spottswood:

I found Richard Muller's lecture and Roswell explanation fascinating. Thank you for drawing my attention to it.

As you note, the die-hard UfOlogists and government-cover-up conspiracy theorists will of course ignore his rational and "science-based" explanation, preferring instead to cling to their own flimsy-evidence beliefs. These are the same people who hang to on every word of Art Bell and believe everything they hear on Coast-to-Coast AM.

And with respect to Oak Island, there are many (some even on this and other OI forums) who choose to believe in so-called findings and some outlandish theories that have no basis in fact or proveable prevenance.

Like you, I know that the Oak Island mystery is real - Someone at some time did a lot of work beneath the island prior to 1795. The evidence is there. But the Who, and When and Why has yet to be discovered.

Incidentally, aren't Roswell and Area 51 two different places? The first in New Mexico and the latter in Nevada?

D'Arcy
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

Postby spottswood on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:06 pm

Area 51 is real. We've all seen videos of people standing just outside the perimeter, making a point that stepping one step closer will result in immediate death. Something that is also true at many other military facilities and Fort Knox in Kentucky. So while Area 51 is real there is absolutely no evidence that it contains aliens or alien aircrafts. The fact that the Air Force uses the Nevada Area 51 site for testing aircraft encouraged people to believe this is where the "Roswell UFO" was stashed away.

Sheridan Cavitt & Jesse Marcel examining a piece of the balloon

The media's reporting of a disk microphone. Naturally sensationalized.

( After his two investigators examined the crash, Colonel Blanchard issued an official USAAF press release reporting that a flying disk had been found by a local rancher. It was this potentially dangerous mistake that lead to the cover-up claiming it was a weather balloon to take emphasis off of the microphone. Otherwise the Soviet Union could catch on to recording the sound channel to study our atomic bomb tests, as we were doing theirs.)

I do at times get the semantics confused when discussing the two places, the connection between the Air Force site and the crash site is very weak in actuality but naturally the myth I heard as a child connected the two for me synonymously. I believe all reports of seeing dead alien bodies to be the result of a family of opportunists trying to become famous or wealthy off the media. Which they have to some degree, since whoever claims to see such things gets invited to speak at UFO conferences, stipends for doing interviews, and book deals. So these fantastical myths are perpetuated by understandable motives. Shameless but understandable.

I don't blame the filmmakers such as Spielberg or Lucas. They're doing their jobs to just ask "what if?". Its the individuals who sell the idea as snake oil and invest their entire careers providing false evidence that I find despicable.
spottswood
Digging for Ore

Postby Vincent on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:31 pm

Having just watched the physics lecture (which was very interesting) it is even easier to see how the Roswell myth has perpetuated since 1947.
The SOSUS array and Project Mogul are both very real and extremely well documented (and not just in The hunt for Red October (which I have read twice)), but was it a "Mogul" balloon that crashed at Roswell? In my opinion the answer to that question depends entirely on an individuals own personal trust of the source of the answer, I like many would love to believe that contact with an alien race was made back then at Roswell but there is absolutely no physical proof to prove beyond doubt that this event happened, however, there is also no absolute proof that it was a "Mogul" balloon either, just written documents issued by a government agency.
Quick pass me a spade! I`ve had another idea.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Postby spottswood on Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:36 am

Well the photos of the debris exist.

There are no photos of dead alien bodies or of mechanical peices of the craft. Just material that resembles mylar and a few dowels that have the greek alphabet spelling "liberation and freedom" on them. I'd like to think that any intelligent alien life would have better ciphers than that.
spottswood
Digging for Ore

Postby Vincent on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:15 am

Spottswood,

I am only saying that an open mind is better than a closed one, I did state that there is no proof of alien involvement, therefore no aliens, I also stated that the basis of the acceptance of the "project mogul" theory was based on government hand out's...
Well the photos of the debris exist.

There is also a grave in Fort Worth with the name OSWALD on it, I rest my case.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Postby spottswood on Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:37 pm

I have an open mind. That's how I discovered what I believe to be the truth. Believe it or not, humans have a built-in receptiveness to fantasy. So the path of least resistance is actually the opposite of common mythology in most cases. So free your mind too. You said there were only written documents. I say "There's more than taking their word for it. Let's examine the actual evidence."

Also, your closed case doesn't compute. Grave etchings have never proven the death of any individual. My grandfather has a gravestone with his name on it. And he's alive. Many elderly folks order them well in advance. So that fact is an exception to the rule without even touching conspiracy theories.

Photoshop, on the other hand, did not exist in 1947. Find me an image that was manipulated in such a way from 1947 or earlier and your case will be valid. Evidence vs. lack of evidence happen to be opposite things.

But whatever, you said that so convincingly I refrain from going into it any further.
spottswood
Digging for Ore

Postby spottswood on Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:52 pm

Bah. Bad mood I guess.

I understand what you were saying. The "we will never know thing."

Yes, yes, yes. I just happen to think that the only true eye witnesses have been ignored due to "boy cry wolf" syndrome. And furthermore, the tendency to believe fantasy because we want to. Governments losing control of a balloon is boring so in reality we know its more likely. But we don't want it to be true.

Feel free to believe whatever you want to believe. That's why the saying is "I want to believe" after all. I do too. I just slap my hand every time my hand ventures too close to the cookie jar.
spottswood
Digging for Ore

Postby Vincent on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:24 pm

Spottswood,

Perhaps I should have worded my last post a bit better, my only intention was to suggest that the evidence we have about what happened in Roswell (although almost certainly the truth) does not necessarily mean that it is with out doubt true, although I am a great lover of the notion of life on other worlds I am more than willing to accept that Roswell was something far more innocent than a UFO, I am however a great dis-believer of governments and their idea of the truth, in a nut shell I strongly suspect Project Mogul was behind the incident in Roswell, but I would not at all be surprised if we were to later discover that one lie was cleverly hidden by an even better lie.
Having just read back on my last post I will admit that it does sound a bit argumentative, it was not my intention to argue with you, just merely representing a case for the "other side of the coin", I am sorry if you felt offended in anyway.
Vincent
Future Tour Guide

Postby spottswood on Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:27 am

Hey we're all good.

I've been a bit stubborn and the bygones should be gone with.
spottswood
Digging for Ore

Postby Marauder on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:59 am

This is OT to Roswell, but has to be some of the most compelling testimony regarding UFO's...

http://www.youtube.com//watch?v=LZZOBuVw34M&feature=s%ADub

To me these guys had no agenda other than to state what they had experienced.
Marauder
Digging for Gold

PreviousNext

Return to The Spyglass Inn