Cave-In Pit / Cave-In Shaft

A restricted area for registered users to describe their own research, request assistance or organise group/shared research projects and digs.

Moderator: Jo

Re: Cave-In Pit / Cave-In Shaft

Postby n4n224ccw on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:12 am

JodyLane3 wrote:Actually my question of the ages of the Smith kids was rhetorical. I knew their ages. I was just pointing out that your comments on Vaughn Jr being too young at discovery in 1787 to know anything could also be applied to Smiths kids about the Onslow operations. So you can't use the same argument for something one way and against it another way. C yah later Bro.

Anthony Vaughan Jr's age made him an unlikely person for McGinnis to have fetched upon returning to the mainland, thus unlikely as an initial participant with discovery. The Smith children were not claiming to be part of discovery or anything related to treasure hunting, and as far as history records they were not questioned by the men of 1849.

It is unreasonable to think they grew up on the property and never asked about any pits, depressions, wallows, or a stick poking out of the ground.
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby JodyLane3 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:38 pm

Paul since you stated, based on the foundation of Smith's house, that the Hedden shaft isn't in the area of Shaft #2 I am curious as to what the distance between the foundation and the closest edge of the Hedden shaft is?
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

Postby n4n224ccw on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:02 pm

Jody,

I'll use the Nolan survey and put graduated distance lines running east and away from Smith's house. As it measures right now, the eastern edge of the pit Nolan marked as the MP is 61ft away from Smith's house.

Based upon an assortment of records we can calculate how far from Smith's house the western edge of shaft #2 should be, by adding the following:

Smith's house to MP+diameter of MP+distance to second shaft+diameter of second shaft.

Unfortunately there is not a single contemporary drawing dating to the Onslow efforts; however, if we search various records and reports we can gather these 'reported' distances.

Smith's house to western edge of MP = 15ft, assuming the edge of MP, not the centre.
MP diameter = 7ft
Eastern edge of MP to western edge of shaft #2=14ft. (edge to edge is assumed)
Diameter of shaft #2 is unknown

15+7+14=36ft.

We can of course argue the reference material provided by RV Harris. We must consider the diameter for shaft #2. It is reported to have been 110ft deep with a 12 ft tunnel leading back to the MP. The bigger the diameter, the less likely the work would have been done in a single summer.

For the drawing below, we can use for scale the measurements of 6ft as shown by the Hamilton shaft, hence my increments are at 6ft.

My reason for suggesting an unrecorded shaft is because I am still finding new materials which mentions shafts (dug by the groups that we know of) that never made it into the history books. Very recently I found reference of two new, never before known efforts during the 1880s, ones which Blair never knew about and thus did not make it into the 20th Century OI books. Yes, this means more people to trace out and families who may have material :)

Notwithstanding, if the pit identified by Nolan is the original MP, then the workers dug through the bottom of it and found nothing. If the pit was shaft #2, calculate 14ft from the western edge of this pit to locate the eastern edge of the MP. If this to be the case, then the Tupper/Heddon shaft should have intercepted the flood tunnel, additionally the apex to the triangle of stones is well off AND the drilled stones are off the mark (in relation to the actual MP).

This last point brings up a very legitimate argument considering Blair, Welling and all, thought this pit (shown by Nolan) as the original MP. Everything seems to align to this pit which pretty much cannot be the original MP. This suggests items of interest were placed after the fact.

Cheers

I do not have my normal software tools available right now, so those distances might be off by a pixel or two.

The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby JodyLane3 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:36 pm

I am going to have to go back into the records i have been looking at but i thought the original diameter of the Money Pit was 13 feet. Not that it makes much of a difference in our current discussion.
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

Postby n4n224ccw on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:42 pm

JodyLane3 wrote:I am going to have to go back into the records i have been looking at but i thought the original diameter of the Money Pit was 13 feet. Not that it makes much of a difference in our current discussion.

I have other accounts claiming the pit was 15 feet wide, the 7 feet come from RV Harris which in turn comes from earlier sources, I think the Colonist paper of 1864 which would have been Mr Cooke's article.

n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby JodyLane3 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:24 am

For the amount of work they, the builders of this maze of shaft and flood tunnel work, had to do I am inclined to think the Money Pit had to be the larger size. As to the 15 feet away from Smith's front or back door this is the first time I have heard of it. If the house's foundation is viewable today and that knowledge was known why the Hedden and Chappell dug in such a wrong area.
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

Postby badinfluence63 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:45 am

And the originators of the MP did not have the worries of the flood tunnels hampering there objective either.
Last edited by badinfluence63 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby n4n224ccw on Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:05 pm

JodyLane3 wrote: If the house's foundation is viewable today and that knowledge was known why the Hedden and Chappell dug in such a wrong area.

The foundation was viewable in the 1930s. This is the confusing part and is easily shown by the shaft identified as the Tupper Pit on the Nolan/Bates drawing. How about looking into the Tupper shaft (sunk 1863) and see what conclusions you might draw as it relates to the MP's location. Perhaps you will independently arrive at the same conclusions as I did?

n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby JodyLane3 on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:19 pm

When i get to a computer i plan on printing out these surveys and maps. Then compare then to other data. We will see.
JodyLane3
Digging for Gold

PreviousNext

Return to Research Projects