Cajun Treasure Folklore

A restricted area for registered users to describe their own research, request assistance or organise group/shared research projects and digs.

Moderator: Jo

Postby badinfluence63 on Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:21 am

ML,

It sounds like around he'ya they call that there Shepherds pie :P

Sincereely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby Mark Lunenburger on Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:46 am

badinfluence63 wrote:Sounds like around he'ya they call that there Shepherds pie :P

Shepherd's Pie doesn't usually come Assembly Required but, if that's what you want to call it, okay, but I have some different names.
How poor can you be not to throw away potato water?....
Where's the beef? Booby trapped by a flood tunnel. That's what I say!....
Mark Lunenburger
Digging for Ore

Postby badinfluence63 on Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:57 am

ML,

Thats funny as heck! :lol:
Shepherd's pie, assemblly recquired

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Ketchup

Postby Tank04 on Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:01 pm

From my experience, a Lunenburger's favorite food is mashed potatos, ground beef drowned in the potato water, and corn niblets--all mixed up by the hearty ones into a fine mash after served, and washed down with water of course....
I'm not joking. I used to eat this stuff and my family still eats it. I'm not finicky at all, but I'd much rather have a "Newfie" steak....

Mmmmmm. Sounds some good you! I like it with ketchup mixed in with it. And Newfie Steak, especially good baked, with a brown sugar glaze. :lol:
Curator, Explore Oak Island Display,visit: http://chesterbound.com/Oak%20Island/ex ... Island.htm
Tank04
Treasure hunter

Location: Chester Municipality, Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

Postby Mark Lunenburger on Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:37 pm

That's why a Lunenburger could tell me the nuttiest story....you could tell me the Excaliber rises in Mahone Bay every full moon and Jack Dawson rises at the bow of the sunken Titanic, picks it up and says "I'm the James Cameron of the wooorld!" and I'd believe it....

The Cajuns I only believe because you have the same story. They obviously changed Captain Kidd to Jean Lafitte to make it French. Lafitte however according to Wikipedia, was only a pirate for a short time and only after he was kicked out of Lousiana in 1817....
Mark Lunenburger
Digging for Ore

Postby badinfluence63 on Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:11 pm

ML,

However WIKI is not your most reliable source for too much. I refer to it from time to time and only as a starting pont and possibly to get other leads but absolutely not as an end all do all by no means amigo! :shock: :P

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Postby Mark Lunenburger on Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:17 am

Alrighty then! You are correct, BI. Crimelibrary, for one and which I find very reliable, says something different: Lafitte was a pirate by the year 1808 when he was setting up his base on Grande Island at the mouth of the Mississippi....At least I can say he probably didn't bury a treasure on Oak Island....
Interestingly I found another story of a Lafitte treasure sinking in the swamps of Florida at news.nationalgeographic.com. There was even speculation by the treasure hunter that previous drilling ruptured the treasure chests sending the booty down into the ooze....
badinfluence63 wrote:However, its just such that plagues the minds of some regarding the Oak Island mystery. Just this very same argument. While some, like me, agree with you (it makes to much sense and begs to be applicable) there are still others who say...bullsh*t!.

If there was another major identifiable influx of refugees or immigrants to the same area at about the same time and they had no sinking treasure legends, then I'd say with 100% certainty that the Cajun stories came from their own experience in Acadia.
ML
P.S. Treasure Planet was the animated story I remember having a sinking treasure. The planet was booby trapped and the treasure started to sink and take the characters down with it....
Mark Lunenburger
Digging for Ore

Postby badinfluence63 on Wed May 16, 2007 8:33 pm

ML,

When I think of Lafitte I think of New Orleans and its history pirates.

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Postby dragon lady on Thu May 17, 2007 3:33 am

badinfluence63 wrote:ML,

When I think of Lafitte I think of New Orleans and its history pirates.

Sincerely,

BI63
(OITS Member)

Gee I think of Yul Brunner :D
DL
Some like to live in complacency, hoping for stability without upset. I much prefer to turn over rocks and see what scurries out.
D. Orade
dragon lady
Future Tour Guide

Previous

Return to Research Projects