List of GPS Coordinates of ........

A restricted area for registered users to describe their own research, request assistance or organise group/shared research projects and digs.

Moderator: Jo

Re: List of GPS Coordinates of ........

Postby Dave Wood on Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:01 pm

According to Google Earth it would be 44 30 54 N ,64 17 32 W.An exact position using GPS I don't think there is much hope of.

Dave
Dave Wood
Digging for Diamonds

Postby high plains drifter on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:28 am

Thanks. I generated coordinates from the general area that were helpful but the location of the rock needs to be pinpointed. It's a near certainty that the rock is a distance measurement. There are probably a few people still around OI who know where the rock was found within a few feet and who could get a GPS reading. I'll bet someone already has. Maybe one who has will read this and post.
high plains drifter
Digging for Clams

Postby wayward on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:03 am

I believe one second of latitude (from north to south) would be less than 2 ft. One second of longitude (east to west) would be somewhat less than that. When dealing with seconds decimals would not be necessary, IMHO---Bill
on the trail of the grail
wayward
Digging for Diamonds

Re: Mercy point coordinates...

Postby n4n224ccw on Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:21 pm

TheSwede wrote:I'm Swedish so I read Mr Amundsens book (it is translated to Swedish). Mr Amundsen, you give the coordinates for Mercy point in you book, but without any exact decimal digits. Is this coordinate correct ?..

44 degrees 30'47'' N, 64 degrees 17'30'' W
(Expedition Shakespeare, the Swedish version of Organisten, page.307)

Or are there more decimals ?

I suggest that before you get ahead of yourself with this project, you will need to determine the map projections and datum used for all of the surveys you intend on using. Software such as globalmapper will easily make the conversions for you; however, you do need the correct information to begin with. I think Peter was using NAD83 and had beacon lock from Halifax, his equipment had that capability anyways. Roper, March, etc were before NAD83.

The most reliable fixed point to use as a reference, a survey point we know which has not been moved, is the large boulder in Smith's Cove. I suggest you not trust anything else save the survey markers of Nolan brothers dating to the 1950s and a few fixed points by Triton.

Keep in mind that anything small enough to be moved by a team of oxen most likely was moved. Anything on lots 18 and 19 small enough to be moved by a person was most likely moved. Those small drilled stones cannot be trusted to be either significant or in an original position of significance. The 1955 aerial photographs offer sufficient detail and during a period of drought which allows one to see most of the objects subsequently moved by Nolan.

There is absolutely no way of knowing the original pre-1789 position for anything on the surface or the position for missing items, such as large inscribed stones that were blown up.

Good luck with your project.
The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby badinfluence63 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:00 am

To add to what N4 is trying to say as I find it hard to understand as I am not as smart as him is that the landscape has tremendously and drastically been altered over the years. The most shocking to me was the removel of a 30+ foot precipice/hill/rise in the land I believe that was overlooking the ocean on the MP side .

Was it RDI or George Green or both who totally rutted the island with bull dozing and dynamiting.
Last edited by badinfluence63 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby n4n224ccw on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:17 am

TheSwede,

The below image shows the points mentioned in your above post. I produced the image to show the challenge encountered when plotting specific points against past surveys. I used the UTM projection with different datum, both NAD27 and NAD83. Comparing the two positions under a different datum shows a difference of 196ft in longitudinal position.

I've placed the red square at 1 second of arc from the NAD83 location. The northern line is 44 30 48.00, the southern line is 44 30 46.00, west line is 64 17 31.00, and the east line is 64 17 29.00. I added this box to show the extant of possibilities when coordinates are not given in more accurate decimal form. At this latitude, 1Sec of longitude is about 122.5ft and 1 sec of latitude is about 101ft.

The post Revolutionary history of Oak Island is a complex web of lies and partial truths to sort through.

http://www.oakislandtheories.com
n4n224ccw
Digging for Diamonds

Postby badinfluence63 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:58 am

What does this mean in English?

n4n224ccw wrote:TheSwede,

The below image shows the points mentioned in your above post. I produced the image to show the challenge encountered when plotting specific points against past surveys. I used the UTM projection with different datum, both NAD27 and NAD83. Comparing the two positions under a different datum shows a difference of 196ft in longitudinal position.

I've placed the red square at 1 second of arc from the NAD83 location. The northern line is 44 30 48.00, the southern line is 44 30 46.00, west line is 64 17 31.00, and the east line is 64 17 29.00. I added this box to show the extant of possibilities when coordinates are not given in more accurate decimal form. At this latitude, 1Sec of longitude is about 122.5ft and 1 sec of latitude is about 101ft.

Whewww...where does the time go!
badinfluence63
Treasure hunter

Location: New England and relatively close and accessible to Nova Scotia.

Postby wayward on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:14 am

n4n224ccw wrote:TheSwede,

Yes my numbers were wrong :oops: A more correct figure would be 101 feet of latitude and 72 feet of longitude at 44 degrees N.

You mixed up latitude and longitude. at 44 degrees N., longitude would be less than latitude.
As you go further North longitude becomes less until at 90 degrees N. it becomes 0.---Bill

n4n224ccw, you should update your photo to show the correct figures
on the trail of the grail
wayward
Digging for Diamonds

Postby D'Arcy on Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:38 pm

badinfluence63 wrote:Was it RDI or George Green or both who totally rutted the island with bull dozing and dynamiting.

RDI, according to everyone that I've spoken to who worked with him in 1965-66. Green simply drilled a lot of (inconclusive) holes in the MP area in the autumn of 1955.
D'Arcy
Future Tour Guide

PreviousNext

Return to Research Projects