Michigan Mob

The place for Oak Island related discussion. Got a question about the mystery? Need some pointers on where to find out more?

Moderators: Jo, admiralbenbow

Re: Michigan Mob

Postby . . . on Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:42 am

Proc

The books are available through Amazon. The blurbs should give you an idea of whether or not you want to buy any of them. You can also look inside, but I don’t know if this is a good thing or a bad thing!

The series is called Maps, Mystery and Interpretation. Book 1 is about treasure maps in general, but the Palmer and Wilkins maps specifically, leading up to their association with Oak Island. Book 2 takes a look at most of the major historical settings behind the Oak Island mystery, and assesses the likelihood that the Money Pit contained treasure. If it didn’t then you’d need instructions for finding it. This is where Book 3 comes in. It applies the instructions on the maps to a ground plan developed from the known surface features (ground markers) on Oak Island. It’s this book that covers the research leading to the summary provided in my last post, and is the one containing the geometry. This is inevitable, as the instructions identify points through forming triangles.

FYI, the island outline on the cover of Book 1 is John S’s Rough Map, that on Book 3 is Gloucester Isle.

I’ve got a url that’s just a stub at present, to direct people to my books as they’re published: you’ll find it at http://www.gjbath.com . Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for your interest. I really won’t be upset if you decide not to buy any!

Regards

gb
. . .
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Procutus on Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:52 am

GB;

Again, thanks for the additional info and the stub-link to your titles. I have checked out the Amazon listings (U.S.) and passed the info along to Mrs. Proc, who is currently fishing for gift ideas for Christmas.

:D

I am eager to add your volumes to my OI library, though far from complete, I likely have a few more titles that the average Clevelander.

DVR is set for Episode 5 of 'The Curse' so hopefully, it will generate a bit more discussion here.

regards,

Proc
"Nothing happens unless first we dream."
- Carl Sandburg
Procutus
Future Tour Guide

Postby Dave Wood on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:52 am

Proc,
When you say 'the average Clevelander' do you mean Cleveland,England or America.
Dave Wood
Digging for Diamonds

Postby wayward on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:33 pm

Dave Wood wrote:Proc,
When you say 'the average Clevelander' do you mean Cleveland,England or America.

I'm going to take a semi-educated WAG and say C.A.
on the trail of the grail
wayward
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Dave Wood on Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:17 pm

You are right,I was forgetting gb is English and when Proc said regards from across the pond then he is American.I had it the other way around.Duh.
Dave Wood
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Procutus on Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:25 am

Hey Guys,

Yup, GB is in England and I'm here in Cleveland, Ohio. Or the North Coast, as we tend to call it here.

:)

cheers,

Proc
- Carl Sandburg
Procutus
Future Tour Guide

Postby Dave Wood on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:44 am

The reason I was asking was because I'm originally from Cleveland,England and haven't been back for 40 years,I thought I may have finally met up with someone from there.
Dave
Dave Wood
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Dave Wood on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:53 pm

Dave,Proc,
Any chance of a run down of this weeks episode,I've heard they have found a Templar coin.
Dave
Dave Wood
Digging for Diamonds

Postby . . . on Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:13 am

Procutus wrote:I'm just now beginning to think that we may never truly know what the answer is. I sincerely hope I'm wrong in that and that everyone involved in the actual search and those of us here in this Forum live to see the answer revealed.

This does seem to depend on how focused, and driven, the activity is. The Curse of Oak Island seems to be essentially entertainment with a vaguely historical bias. We still seem not to have moved on from discussing what may or may not have happened since the Money Pit’s discovery, and speculating about who could have been responsible, rather than waiting until the OI deposit is revealed, and then drawing conclusions; either that or finding some hard documentary evidence. We get bogged down in thoughts of ‘who’ and ‘what’, at the expense of ‘where’ - and until recently there has been only one ‘where’ on the island.

None of the historical hypotheses being mooted in the programme seem to lead to something to test with any sound expectation of meaningful results. It’s all very interesting to speculate, but how does this lead the inquiry forward? Petter Amundsen’s discovery of the Malkuth Stone suggests that there may be some potential in probing, and in shallow excavation, to test ground-related hypotheses. However, these are unpopular, and the latter might become costly if an archaeologist has to be present. Graham Harris’s work has shown that archival research can be productive, but we’re not seeing much more of that, and this can also prove expensive. It's a costly business, and potentially hugely so if you go down the wrong road - and what is there to indicate the right one?

Perhaps, the best thing about current activity is that there seems to be a conscious effort to find pointers that might narrow the field, but there has to be a nagging doubt that some visitor could have introduced the artifacts coming to light. Even the significant archaeology, that of the wood and the fibre, isn’t helping much to limit the scope of ‘when’.

At least, what the MI Group is doing gives some hope of a step forward, rather than the feeling I had during the Triton years that Oak Island had fallen into a long, deep, sleep. This would have engendered nothing but pessimism in even the most ardent follower of the mystery. So, you may be suffering from a bad case of Tritonitis! The cure may well lie in a breath of fresh air, though it could be that the wind hasn’t changed sufficiently, even yet.
. . .
Digging for Diamonds

Postby Procutus on Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:24 pm

GB;

Thanks for the insightful overview of things. Once again, I find myself behind in viewing, not having seen last week's show and now a new one just two days from now. Does anyone know if Marty & Rick and their partners had the cored wood carbon-dated? Assuming it can provide an accurate date, that would go a long ways to pinpointing that this is indeed Mel Chappell's mystery vault from 1897.

I also have to agree with you, wondering if the various coins could've been 'dropped' on the island at points in the more recent past, just to throw off any of the current investigators. The coins could very well be genuine, but not placed on the island at the time of the original workings.

I guess no matter how I view things, this mystery will always fascinate me.

regards,

Proc
- Carl Sandburg
Procutus
Future Tour Guide

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion